Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Xuen's DPS challenge for 600 cloak?

This is an absurd challenge, insanely cheap and difficult.

What where your strats and preparation for this fight? I'm admittedly an LFR-baby, but no amount of ilvl increase would seem to have helped me here. mainly his crumbling arc seem to hit more than just the 180-degree "fire" that he prepares. I think I'm safe 5-10 yards away while being chased by his blood adds yet it still takes ~190k HP off me. I tried HB spam style to Unholy pew-pew with IT, DSiphon and DC, and failed.

Mainly because that crumbling arc likes to hit stuff it shouldn't hit. I don't know if I was lagging, or bugged, but it was frustrating nonetheless. Never had too much problems with similar attacks (like WoE's arcs)

Anyways, this is all academic and maybe a little rant-ish, because I just then changed Blood, no reforging with my full dps gear, and completed the tank challenge in 2 tries without researching (I failed the 1st attempt because I derped and watched Wrathion get pelted by DW's elementals when I was supposed to meat shield those). Tank challenge was insanely easy regardless, and felt kinda cheap, but I wonder if anyone else also took the same path.

So instead of practicing and solving the problem you flipped specs and did the tanking challenge instead? Grats on the path of least resistance philosophy. Why bother to come here and complain then? You got your precious cloak, to which you feel entitled, without being able to beat the challenge ascribed to you. What could you possibly need a "strat" for since you bypassed the challenge and can no longer do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Euthyphro View Post
    So instead of practicing and solving the problem you flipped specs and did the tanking challenge instead? Grats on the path of least resistance philosophy. Why bother to come here and complain then? You got your precious cloak, to which you feel entitled, without being able to beat the challenge ascribed to you. What could you possibly need a "strat" for since you bypassed the challenge and can no longer do it?
    No practice was going to solve my problem the night I did it. Crumbling Arc still hits me when I'm very clearly away from it. I was wondering if anyone else had a safe zone to do it, since aside from Wrathion's back that arc seems to hit anywhere else other than the 180-degree.

But yeah, it's all academic, and I was just curious more than anything.

The DPS challenge is indeed more difficult then the tanking challenge, took me four tries.

The trick is Glyph of Dark Succor, it procs off the Blood of Neltharion; so you can use them to feed yourself healing. Frost definitely works overall better for this fight, but it's doable as unholy if you're quick. A few notes:

-Wrathion is stunnable, so you can stunlock him out of certain abilities, such as Rain of Ruin or his Mirror Images spells. Both Remorseless Winter and Gnaw work for this.

-Crumbling Arc seems to hit about 2 meters behind him as well, the only safe place I found was actually the far side of the arc. This carries over to the flame cleave in the tanking challenge as well. Best bet is just to clear out further and make some space when he casts it.

-The Mirror Images have LAUGHABLY low health, but if they get that cast off more then one at a time, you're probably dead. AMS can absorb a lot of the damage; but a good howling blast or blood boil chain will wipe them out in short order.

-The Blood of Neltharion is on a spawn timer, it seemed to average about 1 minute for me.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

did this just now with 528 ilvl. stunned him on cd with asphyx and ended up oneshotting it. felt even easier then the ranged challenge did on my lock with the same ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    The DPS challenge is indeed more difficult then the tanking challenge, took me four tries.

The trick is Glyph of Dark Succor, it procs off the Blood of Neltharion; so you can use them to feed yourself healing. Frost definitely works overall better for this fight, but it's doable as unholy if you're quick. A few notes:

-Wrathion is stunnable, so you can stunlock him out of certain abilities, such as Rain of Ruin or his Mirror Images spells. Both Remorseless Winter and Gnaw work for this.

-Crumbling Arc seems to hit about 2 meters behind him as well, the only safe place I found was actually the far side of the arc. This carries over to the flame cleave in the tanking challenge as well. Best bet is just to clear out further and make some space when he casts it.

-The Mirror Images have LAUGHABLY low health, but if they get that cast off more then one at a time, you're probably dead. AMS can absorb a lot of the damage; but a good howling blast or blood boil chain will wipe them out in short order.

-The Blood of Neltharion is on a spawn timer, it seemed to average about 1 minute for me.
    I had no problems with all the other abilities. I was succor'ing off Wrathion instead of the bloods because 3-5 of them would just dish me back the ~100k dmg I healed if I got into melee range with them. Then Crumbling Arc comes out of nowhere, lol.

I was doing it with ilvl 510, so maybe more hp here and there would have saved me. Probably not cause I'm bad

Anyways, I had no regrets getting my cloak in the tanking challenge. I suppose fundamentalists would hate the fact that a LFR guy gets away with one step closer to a true legendary while picking the easiest challenge

Deleted
    did it second try on my unholy dk, pretty straight forward, interrupt blood cast, stun to stop noninterruptable casts (ghoul, aphyx), DND glyph to kite adds with dots up, always attack him from behind.

Ams mirror images while running around blood boiling

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    You might wanna respec blood and do the tank challenge, i hear that's alot easier.

Practice would have helped you down it actually. I failed I think 3 times on it before I noticed what was messing me up.
    First I just plain didn't know what was going on, and wiped due to lack of knowledge on mechanics leading to lots of avoidable damage being taken.
    Second I timed a Death and Decay badly, leading to the images killing me.
    Third the bloods were interupted a moment too late, and I got smacked down.
    Then after that I knew when to pop things, blew Wrathion up as much as I could during army+Gary, and then just controlled him from there on. I never even got any images due to locking him up well enough. I knew from killing rares in Pandaria too to move well away from his smash, which also you would know even if you are just an lfr raider because Spirit Kings had a similar mechanic.

You not taking it down is just a show of not bothering to learn/adapt to his mechanics more so then you "not" being able to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxweii View Post
    which also you would know even if you are just an lfr raider because Spirit Kings had a similar mechanic.
    This would suggest that players actually went to LFR to learn basic raid mechanics rather than whack a loot pinata. You would think they would care the least beat about progressing themselves, rather than a much less significant gear upgrade.

Practice would have helped you down it actually. I failed I think 3 times on it before I noticed what was messing me up.
    First I just plain didn't know what was going on, and wiped due to lack of knowledge on mechanics leading to lots of avoidable damage being taken.
    Second I timed a Death and Decay badly, leading to the images killing me.
    Third the bloods were interupted a moment too late, and I got smacked down.
    Then after that I knew when to pop things, blew Wrathion up as much as I could during army+Gary, and then just controlled him from there on. I never even got any images due to locking him up well enough. I knew from killing rares in Pandaria too to move well away from his smash, which also you would know even if you are just an lfr raider because Spirit Kings had a similar mechanic.
    Well, in hindsight, yeah maybe I would have gotten better at it, but why struggle through an allegedly bugged mechanic? Like I said I had no problem with his mirrors, rain of fire, fire and adds, and also had no problem with Will of Emperor's arcs (which probably does it 50+ times) without getting hit, but Wrathion's arc seem to hit areas it shouldn't.

I never stepped foot in a real raid since ICC but I'm usually one of the few guys standing after LFR durumu or Lei Shen, so I'm not a total dummy, so at least give me that. But give me two choices with one being easy and one being hard and maybe bugged leading to the same reward, the choice is clear, to me.

Deleted
    Assumed the burst from 2h frost + dark succor would be the way to go... Got completely owned on my first attempt by the bloods.

Switched to unholy, specced into chilblains, rolling blood and conversion then basically "festerblighted" wrathion while spreading dots to the bloods and kiting him/them around. Was fairly simple then.

Wasn't really sure what was going on, I probably needed to interrupt something that I wasn't. Dark Pact and DS glyph (which I just leave on 24/7) got me through whatever damage I took.

Fight felt like it took awhile, even in 545 gear >_> Still a oneshot, but I was running around a lot.

Can you re-run the quest after you hand it in, for fun?

I just brute forced him, spec'd frost and when he spawned the bloods switched to a Howling blast spam rotation, easy enough kill, killed him before he even attempted to cast mirror images and that was without army.

As for his arc i assumed that the graphic was bugged (like it is for the rares in pandaria) and stood at his shoulder not at his direct back, didn't get hit once.

Indeed that challenge sucks. I did tank one on my bear (which is my alt) first and that was faceroll. So when I tried to do something different on dk yesterday I chose melee dps (which is my main's offspec), and I was like wtf is this s**t.

Something I would recommend is:

1) Have particle density setting higher, to see his arc.
    2) Take Chillblains and DnD glyph. When adds spawn just run out of the way and kite them to death. Easier for frost, for unholy take rolling blood.
    3) Take Remorseless Winter to stun Wrathion and adds if it is needed.
    4) Stop kiting adds (if it comes to that point) and save some runes for aoe when you see Wrathion runs to middle to summon his mirror images. AMS will save you if you didn't find him in time.

Could also pick up Asphyxiate. 30 second range silence/stun with no Rune or RP cost, so good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    This is an absurd challenge, insanely cheap and difficult.

What where your strats and preparation for this fight? I'm admittedly an LFR-baby, but no amount of ilvl increase would seem to have helped me here. mainly his crumbling arc seem to hit more than just the 180-degree "fire" that he prepares. I think I'm safe 5-10 yards away while being chased by his blood adds yet it still takes ~190k HP off me. I tried HB spam style to Unholy pew-pew with IT, DSiphon and DC, and failed.

Mainly because that crumbling arc likes to hit stuff it shouldn't hit. I don't know if I was lagging, or bugged, but it was frustrating nonetheless. Never had too much problems with similar attacks (like WoE's arcs)

Anyways, this is all academic and maybe a little rant-ish, because I just then changed Blood, no reforging with my full dps gear, and completed the tank challenge in 2 tries without researching (I failed the 1st attempt because I derped and watched Wrathion get pelted by DW's elementals when I was supposed to meat shield those). Tank challenge was insanely easy regardless, and felt kinda cheap, but I wonder if anyone else also took the same path.
    You were bad and stood in bad, or else lagging incredibly. It's not bugged. Don't blame the game for being "broken" when you just couldn't handle the mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    You were bad and stood in bad, or else lagging incredibly. It's not bugged. Don't blame the game for being "broken" when you just couldn't handle the mechanic.
    Yeah this except a little less harsh, nothing about it is bugged or else Blizz would have hotfixed it by now with so many people having the cloak

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah this except a little less harsh, nothing about it is bugged or else Blizz would have hotfixed it by now with so many people having the cloak
    I know its harsh, but its true. IN GENERAL there are only a few things that could keep you from finishing it.

1.) It's bugged.

2.) Numbers check you can't meet.

3.) Lag

4.) You're not skilled enough to do it.

The last one is normally the case.

The same is normally true for raid bosses.

As a 2H frost DK, I' ve completed this after 2 tries to figure oute the dmg income... no stuns/interupts (didn't know that), just used slows for kiting bloods around... and hitting Wrathion when I could reach him from behind... I ve got hitted once or twice by the Arc but meh... conversion did the job very well, considering the RP gain from kiting bloods around...