Page 1 of 26
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Welcome to America, where a blind man can own a gun

Not the topic of this article, but I found this point just absolutely absurd.

"Most of those who are stopped with guns are reluctant to talk about it afterward. One who didn't mind was Raymond Whitehead, 53, of Santa Fe, N.M., who was arrested at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey in May after screeners spotted 10 hollow-point bullets in his carry-on bag. Whitehead, who is completely blind, also had a .38 caliber Charter Arms revolver in his checked bag that he had failed to declare. He said in an interview with the AP that he was unaware of the specifics of the rules for checking guns, or that hollow-point bullets are illegal in New Jersey."

The article that is about rise in guns in airports:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...ncid=webmail22

So.... I get that we have a constitution and anyone can own a gun... but, shouldn't there be at least an iota of logic that follow with these laws?

Edit: In retrospect, I probably should have just posted this in the mass gun thread that's floating around...
    Last edited by theredviola; 2013-07-03 at 06:02 PM.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    Ofcourse not, there's no logic in following a 100+ year old law anyway.

You guys are allowing random people to own lethal weapons. Please do not search for logic in that.

A blind person owning a gun? Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

10+ Year Old Account
    you really think 'anyone' can own a gun.....lol
    what about felons? should i list more that cant own guns?
    anyone under a certain age con not own guns.
    but you go on believing 'anyone' can own guns

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
    You mean, you're defending that a blind man, of legal age, can own a gun?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Oh noez, you have to be at least 18 and no felon.

Those restrictions are so damn rigorous and hard to achieve, I wonder how anyone manages to get his hands on a gun legally.

10+ Year Old Account

The Point.

-----------

Your head.

So if you're not a felon and over 18 you can go down to walmart and buy a gun. Oh and if you're blind?

Deleted
    And nobody in the comments underneath the article has commented anything on him being blind and owning a gun. This completely baffles me, how can anyone be okay with a blind man owning a gun?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    that hollow-point bullets are illegal in New Jersey
    Hollowpoints are illegal? Is that just for handguns or in general?

Up here, it's illegal to hunt with non-expanding ammunition.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by timehascomeandsohaveI View Post
    And nobody in the comments underneath the article has commented anything on him being blind and owning a gun. This completely baffles me, how can anyone be okay with a blind man owning a gun?
    Maybe he can aim with sonar. That's actually a thing

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    did he get the gun before he became blind? i worked for a retired military pilot that had multitude of nice collectible guns, unfortunately he also had a disease that was slowly eating his eye sight and was deemed legally blind. he could see shadows but that was sketchy at best. so because a sickness took his eyesight later in life that is somehow reason enough for him to have to turn in all his possessions? does he have to turn in all his cars? his pocket knife?

listen, i get that people dont like firearms, but if you want to hate on something, hate on the politicians and hate on the people who are not currently enforcing the legislation against these evil tools

Maybe he's got a dog for that, ya'know bark once if I'm aiming at a bad guy, bark twice when I'm not.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by dokilar View Post
    did he get the gun before he became blind? i worked for a retired military pilot that had multitude of nice collectible guns, unfortunately he also had a disease that was slowly eating his eye sight and was deemed legally blind. he could see shadows but that was sketchy at best. so because a sickness took his eyesight later in life that is somehow reason enough for him to have to turn in all his possessions? does he have to turn in all his cars? his pocket knife?

listen, i get that people dont like firearms, but if you want to hate on something, hate on the politicians and hate on the people who are not currently enforcing the legislation against these evil tools
    What does he intent to do with those weapons? He's blind for gods sake, he can't aim........ If he owned them prior to his blindness, there is no reason for him to still carry them around.

Because disabled people shouldn't have as many rights as normal people.

Being disabled is immoral.

/sarcasm

Made an account just to say that...

Not necessarily. He'll just be prohibited from driving a car, i.e. possessing a valid driving license.

Grasping at straws here, there is nothing to suggest that the poster in question hates firearms.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Incorporated View Post
    Because disabled people shouldn't have as many rights as normal people.

Being disabled is immoral.

/sarcasm

Made an account just to say that...
    I sure hope you'll let blind people drive cars in your country then. Or even fly airplanes.

Deleted
    Discrimination just because hes Blind he shouldnt be stripped of his constituional rights.

15+ Year Old Account

Don't get me wrong, politics is the biggest problems with any problem in America. I also agree that if current gun laws were simply enforced and given a 0 tollerance/air tight view, we'd be in a better place.

However. Even if he owned the gun prior to going blind, there is no reason he should be carrying or handling it. Loaded. Out of his home.

10+ Year Old Account
    lololol.please show me where i even mentioned the blind man.....lol
    you are a moron kid, wow
    while you are at it, show me where i defended anyone's rights to own a gun

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Radux; 2013-07-03 at 06:16 PM.