Stupid american electric bike laws

Federal Law

Federal law is similar to Washington state law, except it restricts power to 750 Watts.

Extracts from 46.04 RCW (Revised Code of Washington)

"Electric-assisted bicycle means a bicycle with two or three wheels, a saddle, fully operative pedals for human propulsion, and an electric motor. The electric-assisted bicycle's electric motor must have a power output of no more than one thousand Watts, be incapable of propelling the device at a speed of no more than twenty miles per hour on level ground, and incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the device beyond twenty miles per hour." (46.04.169 RCW)

"No driver's licence is required for operation of an electric-assisted bicycle."

"Persons under sixteen years of age may not operate an electric-assisted bicycle."

The provisions (RCW 46.16.010) relating to "a current and proper vehicle licence and display vehicle licence number plates.... shall not apply to (a) Electric-assisted bicycles."

"Persons operating electric-assisted bicycles shall comply with all laws and regulations related to the use of bicycle helmets."

"Operation of a moped or an electric-assisted bicycle on a fully controlled limited access highway or a sidewalk is unlawful."

"Electric-assisted bicycles may be operated on a multipurpose trail or bicycle lane, but local jurisdictions may restrict or otherwise limit the access of electric-assisted bicycles."

and im starting to wonder why electric bycycling has not caught one with advances in our battery technology

so even if its quiet and is not a noise disruption they basicly can only help you get around a max of 20 miles per hour and for on average a minor cursoary glance of a 1500$ electric bike was about 8-10 miles.

these restrictions seem quite odd and very counterproductive to reducing gasoline use which i fear is what they were proposed for in the first place.

to limit the ability of innovation that might curb our vehicle usage. if i can get a biek to go 35 mph i could visit neighbooring cities in about a half hour and if the charge was a big good one and my friend had a charger and his own bike. hmm but that possiblity and freedom from none gasoline sources seems very far away now until that ferderal law changes : (
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what you're complaining about. They set definitions for what an electric bicycle is, then say that you can own one without a lot of the bother associated with owning a powered vehicle. They place restrictions on it, knowing that it is a powered vehicle.\

If you want to have an electric vehicle outside the bounds of their definition you can, but you'll have to register it and operate it as a fully licensed road vehicle. That's all the law's saying.

So you're welcome to get an electric bike that can go 35 MPH. But you'll have to register it as a motorcycle and be licensed as such, which makes sense when you start going such speeds.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    ... be incapable of propelling the device at a speed of no more than twenty miles per hour on level ground...

"Persons under sixteen years of age may not operate an electric-assisted bicycle."
    That's just funny. I know 13 year old kids can drive electric bikes with a maximum speed of 20 mph in my country. Not sure exactly how low the age limit is, just know my 13 y/o niece has one.

I mean heck, these kind of vehicles are designed for young teenagers, aren't they? Limiting it to 16 years and older makes no sense.