Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    I will "Get real" friend. It isn't like buying air conditioning, that is a mount, or a instore pet. It's like if you planned to race that car in a even and equal race- all with the same car, and you payed to have a bigger engine so you could go faster and thus win the race.
    What race for leveling are you competing in now? Should we also restrict the amount of time people can play per week so everyone has a level playing field when leveling? Cause if I play more then you I just got the same "unfair advantage" you are complaining about. Why is something only a problem when real money is involved?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leare315 View Post
    I'm certain it's going to extend to Transmog sets, hell, i'm hoping for it. But it think it's going to stop just shy of equippable gear. Cosmetic things, convenience things,
    they aren't power things. That's where lines get crossed.
    (this post is unrelated to the EXP)

Yeah, but I like to think of it this way. How often do you see players complaining that a feature wasting time, and taking time from another. Blizzard themselves use this cop-out when they don't wanna do something.

every time they make a mount, or a pet, or transmog sets to pay for. That is time taken away from making the in game sets look better. or new challenge mode sets. Since that's the quality you would see.

But people always argue against this point, then turn around and say "Bah pet battles takes away from blah blah blah"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    What race for leveling are you competing in now? Should we also restrict the amount of time people can play per week so everyone has a level playing field when leveling? Cause if I play more then you I just got the same "unfair advantage" you are complaining about. Why is something only a problem when real money is involved?
    Plenty of people like to play the race game when a new expansion hits.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    The HUGE difference in 3 years ago and now is that 3 years ago blizzard was not losing subs by the truck load and then turn around and admit by the end of the xpac subs will be lower.
    I don't think you understand what you're responding to here.

Unless you do mean to imply that Blizzard is right around the corner from selling gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will "Get real" friend. It isn't like buying air conditioning, that is a mount, or a instore pet. It's like if you planned to race that car in a even and equal race- all with the same car, and you payed to have a bigger engine so you could go faster and thus win the race.
    Except for the part where leveling from whatever level this starts at is a race. If you want to question the analogy that's fine. Don't substitute an even more ludicrous analogy to disprove mine.

Buying an air-conditioner is a convenience. Your car will still get you there without it. It will just be more comfortable when it's hot outside. Leveling without the buff will get you there; the buff makes it more convenient.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-07-03 at 08:35 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Oh god... now we're have hundreds of threads about BiS gear being sold in the blizz store, just like we do when they add new pets... or new mounts... or tabards... or anything. Guess ill stay off mmo-champ for a while, save myself the headache.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish I could say I'd be surprised, or even outraged.

But Blizz's horrible design ideas have stopped surprising me...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I will return to my previous argument. You will no longer see Blizzard manually lower EXP needed "IF" this is a payed thing, This whole forum at the moment is pure conjecture, and my arguments are based only on the idea that it is indeed payed for
    Still. People have been gnashing and wailing every time something new hits the cash shop--somehow people were making the logical jumps that pets, mounts, or an exp buff means epic gear is next. Further, I doubt Blizz won't lower exp requirements; they've done a great job of standing by their assertion when they first started using a cash shop that none of their game design will make the stuff there feel required. It's there for people who want it and people who don't won't be punished for it in any meaningful way (for example, pulling numbers out of my ass for rhetoric's sake, 5.4 might slash exp needed from 85-90 by 10% per level, so someone who doesn't buy the exp buff will still get to 90 10% faster than they would in 5.3, whereas someone who buys it gets there twice as fast).

I wouldn't call faster leveling a meaningful enough jump from cosmetic pets and mounts for people to start doomsaying the advent of epic gear. Transmog gear, maybe, but I doubt we'll see people rocking 'Merchant's Battlegear' anytime soon.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeeh View Post
    Oh god... now we're have hundreds of threads about BiS gear being sold in the blizz store, just like we do when they add new pets... or new mounts... or tabards... or anything. Guess ill stay off mmo-champ for a while, save myself the headache.
    Only thing is this time it may well be true that the only way to progress is to pay money... or farm dailies...
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

The problem I see with having stuff like this (anything that isn't cosmetic), is that it creates a very slippery slope. In the future when devs are creating things, how much of it will just get shunted into the store instead of directly into the game? Like it or not, it will affect development decisions. The shareholders are the ones in charge.

For a F2P game, that is normal and expected (it's their source of revenue), but for a subscription game, that it some really shameless double dipping on their part. It comes off as a big "fuck you" to their customers.

Of course this is just datamining. Could be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Plenty of people like to play the race game when a new expansion hits.
    And Blizzard generally doesn't let experience buffs affect new content at the start of expansions.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    If this ever happens then I'm quitting WoW and never coming back. It will slowly start like this, an itemshop requiring some sort of currency acquired by cash and would start as simple boosts and then end up as a pay to win system like swtor.

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Depending on the cost and how the item works it'd be something A LOT of players would want to purchase. I know I would.

I would only buy it if it's a permanent boost on that one character you use the item on till you hit the max level. If it's a 1 hour/1 day duration buff I wouldn't buy it. I would also only buy it if it was like <=5 euros.
    Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    Hm, looks like they are taking from the F2P model with that one. Which is fine. I didn't notice a duration so I assume once you take it your character will have that buff the entire time they level. It could always be changed, but sounds kinda neat.
    http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=146939

Spell Details
    Duration 1 hour
    School Physical
    Mechanic n/a
    Dispel type n/a
    GCD category n/a
    Cost None
    Range 0 yards (Self)
    Cast time Instant
    Cooldown n/a
    GCD 0 seconds
    Effect Apply Aura: Dummy
    Value: 100
    Server-side script
    to: preposition; used as a function word to indicate position, connection, extent, relation ~ too: adverb; also, very, excessively, so

10+ Year Old Account
    In a way, you can already buy a 300% buff by RaFing yourself and playing several characters at once, this seems like less of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Only thing is this time it may well be true that the only way to progress is to pay money... or farm dailies...
    That is one hell of a leap. "The only way to progress"? Since when did a 100% exp buff equate to that? I can already get a giant boost from heirlooms and yet there are still people leveling just fine without.

And Blizzard just reduced the exp cost of leveling 85-90 by 30%!

10+ Year Old Account
    A few years later...

Heroic raid gear, 50% off today! BUY NOW!

This is not good.

Looks to have a similar effect to the one thats already in game, so I don't see the issue, you can obtain a similar item in game from your sub, or you can spend a bit of extra cash to get it without having to camp/grind ingame. It's not disimilar to other stuff like RAF and Scroll of rez, doesn't affect end game content, just gets you there faster if you choose to want that.

But I'll hang off and wait and see if it's actually going to be sold for cash, or ingame for ingame currency of some kind

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Except for the part where leveling from whatever level this starts at is a race. If you want to question the analogy that's fine. Don't substitute an even more ludicrous analogy to disprove mine.

Buying an air-conditioner is a convenience. Your car will still get you there without it. It will just be more comfortable when it's hot outside. Leveling without the buff will get you there; the buff makes it more convenient.
    True, but after you buy the car, the car if free to play, I don't need to pay a monthly subscription to Ford for the car. Cars are a F2P system

(unless you lease.. but who does that?)
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    But hey, cash shops are okay cause they're just selling cosmetic items with no in-game benefits, amirite?
    Making the leveling process easier seems like an in-game benefict to me....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    A few years later...

Heroic raid gear, 50% off today! BUY NOW!

This is not good.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post21646386
    Feel free to tell us why you think nonessential boosts are 100% unquestionably going to lead to epic gear on the cash shop, barring some cataclysm (pardon the pun) that tanks sub numbers hard enough to force WoW to go free-play?
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Promark View Post
    http://ptr.wowhead.com/spell=146939

Spell Details
    Duration 1 hour
    School Physical
    Mechanic n/a
    Dispel type n/a
    GCD category n/a
    Cost None
    Range 0 yards (Self)
    Cast time Instant
    Cooldown n/a
    GCD 0 seconds
    Effect Apply Aura: Dummy
    Value: 100
    Server-side script
    Oh...

/ Thread everyody! we can go home