I really thought the combustion change was a decent one. I don't want coeff changes because we're already not great outside of combustion. Wouldn't be surprised to see a PB nerf though, since it makes up a larger portion of damage the more gear you have.
Nerfing combustion hurts all mage tiers, especially lower geared ones.
Last edited by Khain; 2013-07-16 at 03:50 AM.
Progression pre-nerfed: [T14] 10/16H, [T15] 12/13H, [T16] 10/14H
"Those are the issues we’d like to fix, and why the earlier changes hit the PTR to begin with. We may try other methods, or we may decide to just leave things alone for 5.4, but we do want to fix them."
LAWL omg, how great would this be, i can't wait to feed on more tears if blizzard actually goes through with that
I like it better when I feed on tears. Infracted.
Last edited by Shangalar; 2013-07-16 at 10:08 AM.
i certainly wouldn't mind. survival of the fittest brah, i'll be at the top shredding bosses while people who refuse to respec to the most optimal spec will be at the bottom mirin' hard.
Could someone quickly explain the Combustion glyph for me? I read is as the same as live in terms of damage but instead of the cooldown being 100% longer, it will only 50% of the original CD? Then I read this was nerf and being reverted? Did I miss something between patch updates or am I just dopey right now?
Let me make something clear boys and girls - other class posters are welcome to post on our forums as long as they're nice to use in line with the forum code of conduct, but you guys need to also be nice to them. Discuss, don't get provoked by trolling or silly jabs.
I enjoy watching Blizzard get into pickles like this. Well, if they leave Fire untouched for 5.4, time to dust off my mage hehe.
Phew. Storm has passed by.
- - - Updated - - -
Something occurred to me - in cataclysm, mages were nearly perfect. All 3 specs had good uses, each one was "best" at different times during the xpac, the mechanics were fun, to the point where I remember the EJ post talking about fire being the pinnacle of game design, where things really worked well together.
And now we have... this whole mess.
As I was thinking more about "nerf scaling increased base damage" type changes to help lower geared mages while reducing scaling for upper tier mages, it occurred to me that the entire design of the mage class in MoP has been so messed up, there's just no way they can do anything but bandaid us. The flaws have been harped on time and again, but a tl;dr is that our first 4 talents offer the type of choice that they want for us (except PoM-Pyro, which has been problematic since BC), and our last 2 talents completely throw off the entire gameplay of all the specs.
And when I think about both the level 75 and level 90 talents, and how they interact with our spells and scaling, I just realize that we are going to be in for a rollercoaster of nerfs, buffs, and reversions of nerfs and buffs just like we saw.
I'm going to give a few predictions, I think something along these lines will happen in 5.4
1. Combustion moved to 60 seconds baseline, glyph removed. I feel like this is a very highly likely scenario. Blizz has shown that glyphs that are mandatory they will just bake into the class and get rid of the glyph. 60 seconds will line up the 3rd 'bustion with amplification, and the 4th with a second alter time.
2. A slight nerf to the scaling of Pyroblast, with an increase of the base damage. This will help undergeared fire mages a little, while toning down scaling at higher levels
3. A buff to the base damage of fireball, scaling unchanged. Basically a small boost to leveling/undergeared fire mages.
4. PoM gets removed entirely, or possibly does not work with Pyroblast, or Pyroblast will incur a penalty for being used with PoM, like maybe 10% less damage (similar to the old Titan's Grip penalty, but just for pyroblast).
5. Invocation gets nerfed (from say 15% down to 12%), Incanter's Ward gets changed to be a bit more user friendly (but not overall buffed), and Rune of Power stays the same. Since RoP will stay at 15%, it will cause many people to start looking at how fire and frost can use it, or the nerf to Invo may push people back into Incanter's.
6. They do something unexpected with the L75 bomb tier. I would not be surprised if they scaled it back to how it was when 5.2 first dropped. Nor would I be surprised if NT stopped scaling with arcane blast stacks. I can almost guarantee this is where the nerf will come, since this is an easy dial for them to turn, and they have turned that dial in the recent past.
tl;dr - expect changes, expect nerfs, and expect them to come with combustion, and our level 75 and 90 talents, and try not to overreact. Things are going to change, and they are going to be kind of crappy until 6.0, in my opinion anyone with any kind of voice should be pounding the desk for major changes to L75/90 talents and getting the devs to try to reach that cataclysm mage design beauty in 6.0 and beyond.