Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    o at best we'll be getting like what, 100k crits/50k ticks?
    50k x 5 x 2 = 500k ignite.. Can you tell how to achieve this on live with 530 gear o.0

Quote Originally Posted by IsrafaelMage View Post
    50k x 5 x 2 = 500k ignite.. Can you tell how to achieve this on live with 530 gear o.0
    I was talking BiS t16 levels.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    Assuming 0 Haste, so 20 ticks of Combustion.
    Assuming no Combustion ticks crit.

Pre-nerf:
    300K Ignite, 150K Combustion ticks, total Combustion Damage: 3M

Post-nerf:
    300K Ignite, 60K Combustion ticks, total Combustion Damage: 1.2M

60% nerf to an ability that does ~15% of our damage in ST situations; ergo overall nerf of ~5% give or take.

Not game-changing, probably brings Fire ~ in line I guess.
    I'm more interested in what will happen during bosses with adds and spreading opportunities as far as comparing fire to say arcane multidotting

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    I'm more interested in what will happen during bosses with adds and spreading opportunities
    Nothing really, Combustion is now just a regular DoT that basically any multi-dotter can match or even out-damage.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

10+ Year Old Account
    60% nerf to an ability that does ~15% of our damage in ST situations; ergo overall nerf of ~5% give or take.

Maybe this, but doesn't mean that fire is broken oO

Hopefully they fix trinkeproccs of 5.4 trinkets so that we can test it. But this is the first step of number balancing and not the end, so just test, give them results and see what they do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    fire has no tools to handle aoe besides combustion once every 1.5min and now even that is nerfed to the ground.
    with most of soo fights having aoe will fire really be our most viable spec?

on a side note its funny seeing all lock specs and rogues getting buffed.

edit: im lmao at ppl here that think they will compensate us
    Combat and Sub are underperforming since 5.0
    And Assassination was really not performing that well on the PTR either.

So 1 ability doing sometimes 10m damage isn't broken?
    I believe the nerf was not on the right ability, but a nerf was definitely needed.

Fire will still be #1 single target. No need to freak out.

At this point they just need to make combustion a regular old DOT.
    Let Reason Prevail

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    Assuming 0 Haste, so 20 ticks of Combustion.
    Assuming no Combustion ticks crit.

Pre-nerf:
    300K Ignite, 150K Combustion ticks, total Combustion Damage: 3M

Post-nerf:
    300K Ignite, 60K Combustion ticks, total Combustion Damage: 1.2M

With my ilvl 525 gear, I get around 80k to 100k ignite when im really lucky. (If I lack crits, its around 50k ignite)
    That'll mean, even if I were seriously lucky and get a 100k ignite, I will only have a 20k tick combustion.... GG....

Its not a rotation changing nerf like CM nerf, but either way, its GG for fire mages with ilvl gear like me...

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the nerf was not on the right ability, but a nerf was definitely needed.
    I think this was the only ability that make sense. Mabye a bit much, but it's not final. There were not much options.
    And Yes we're NOT broken imo.

Broken is whole fire mechanic begining with CM and ending with AT/PoM. Every tier we getting nerfed bcs we outscaled they expectations.

The annoying part here is that we still need to do the gimmicky tricks to maximize combustion damage to achieve that 60% less combustion damage...

But thank god they didn't touch Pyro or fireball(they might even get a buff now..)

- - - Updated - - -

Also: Bring back Pyro dot to combustion kk

Deleted
    Well at least they did this a few weeks before the patch came out, so theres time to test it properly or change it, thank god they didnt do this in a hotfix like in 5.1. generally tho its completely overboard as a nerf, tbh i dont see why they cant just go back to combustion being based of both ignite and the pyro dot.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The annoying part here is that we still need to do the gimmicky tricks to maximize combustion damage to achieve that 60% less combustion damage...

But thank god they didn't touch Pyro or fireball(they might even get a buff now..)
    That's why I said they might as well just make a regular, flat damage dot.

- - - Updated - - -

I still think the best solution for combustion is to have it's damage based on the number of your dots on the target. Would be much less gimmicky and far easier to balance.
    Let Reason Prevail

I'm more interested in what will happen during bosses with adds and spreading opportunities as far as comparing fire to say arcane multidotting
    I remember reading that our bombs now got certain number of targets and more than that number they wont be as efficent

The way I see it, they did not nerf critical mass anymore, which keeps the fun part still ingame (pyro procs happening often).

Nerfing combustion actually nerfs the rng of the spec that I always hated, we wont really depend to the most rng spell ingame anymore to show how good mages we are. If overall dps is comparable to other classes/specs, no harm done. Ofc we lose much of the utility we had on 3-4 target fights, but really whats the fun on ALWAYS beating every1 on council.

Ofc, at some point they will have to do something for our aoe, it was non-exixtant, but cleaving was compensating, not anymore I guess.

As far as low geared mages, I think valor items will make them reach 42%-43% crit where all the fun begins.

If rng is completely removed from the spec, I 'll be happy firemage...

I think the entire idea of combustion and how fire works needs to head back to the drawing board for next expansion. That gimmicky combustion is the only thing that stands between fire and being the slowest/most boring/easiest spec in the game. At least out of the specs I've played.

Our cloak got hit pretty hard too unless that's just a tooltip change and was always like that.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2013-08-13 at 01:52 PM.

20% of ignite rofl No, this is really silly. I mean REALLY. 20% of damage of unstable dot which can be very low or high depending on your luck - no, this is LoL, just LoL. Away from first Combustion with alter time, I get somewhere 60-80k ignite on 2nd combustion - that means 14k ignite ticks ^__________^
    Blizzard totally failed with firemages @ this expansion (from my point of view with frost and arcane mages aswell ^^)

- - - Updated - - -

Bye-bye aoe ^_^ But no worries! Warlocks with their 2-3m dps during aoe will compensate your 15k combustion ticks ^^

That gimmicky combustion is the only thing that stands between fire and being the slowest/most boring/easiest spec in the game. At least out of the specs I've played.
    Arcane is probably even more dull. At least fire has the excitement of the heating up proc not being 100% consistent. Arcane is either annoying as hell because of movement and rune of power, or utterly dull as you have the most boring rotation in the world. Our 1.5/3min cooldowns (for both fire and arcane) are absolutely the only times the spec gets interesting to play.

I really hope they fix that for 6.0

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ssviolett View Post
    20% of ignite rofl No, this is really silly. I mean REALLY. 20% of damage of unstable dot which can be very low or high depending on your luck - no, this is LoL, just LoL. Away from first Combustion with alter time, I get somewhere 60-80k ignite on 2nd combustion - that means 14k ignite ticks ^__________^
    Blizzard totally failed with firemages @ this expansion (from my point of view with frost and arcane mages aswell ^^)

- - - Updated - - -

Bye-bye aoe ^_^ But no worries! Warlocks with their 2-3m dps during aoe will compensate your 15k combustion ticks ^^
    Yeah, they sure failed. Must suck being one of the top specs.