10+ Year Old Account

Open loop water cooling: Power Requirements

a quick google search didn't help much so I'm here:
    How much power does an open loop system consume?

Lets say its a:
    -i7-4770k
    -GTX 770
    -ASUS Maximus IV Hero mobo
    -G. Skill Ripjaw Series 2x4GB 1600mhz
    -Samsung 840 series 120GB ssd
    -WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
    -Corsair 800D with a bunch of case fans

I know with an above system 550w or so is considered 'enough'

but what if an open loop is added for just CPU cooling. single 240mm rad, two 120mm rad fans, res, pump, etc.

What if it changes from just CPU cooling to CPU and GPU cooling? Would the power consumption change? Would more than a single 240mm rad be required?

What PSU would be suggested for someone running such a setup with an open loop watercooling method. Would 650w still be sufficient?

If you plan to watercool your GPU, a waterblock & extra rad aren't electronics you know.. 500W psu with overclocks is just more than enough for this rig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heh. Was under the impression an extra rad (and any potential fans) would drive the power supply up. So a Corsair TX650M should be fine, then. Thanks. (Helping my cousin out)

I'd recommend a good rated 650w power supply just because you'll have more fans hooked up to your rad(s) that draw some amps. It's better to be safe and more enough power than not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    Heh. Was under the impression an extra rad (and any potential fans) would drive the power supply up. So a Corsair TX650M should be fine, then. Thanks. (Helping my cousin out)
    Well I have a digital power supply so I can see the total draw of my system etc, a 2600k (4.7GHz + 1.4Vcore) running prime95 & Ram fully loaded + 670 (200MHz/1000MHz OC) in a gpu stresstest the max draw was around 430W. That's just a worst case scenario and I'd never reach such power consumptions during gaming. My 670 has a max TDP of 180W while a 770 has around 230-250W so a 500W psu is plenty of power.