First time builder, looking for advice / suggestions / help

Okay so I got 1k USD$ to spend and I am wanting to upgrade my 2 1/2 year old machine. Specifically for gaming. Main goal is to be able to play newer games at medium settings, high / max if possible. But at least playable on medium with 0 lag for the next few years. No OCing

I have never built a PC before. Only closest thing to it was installing ram, GPU, HDD and unplugging / replugging cords. Watched a good chunk of videos on how to install and i think I got it down.

As for my build this is it. If parts are not compatible with one another please do tell. And if something is too strong for my needs and I can downgrade, or if something is a few $ more that is a reasonable upgrade, due tell. All links direct to Newegg (where I plan to buy from)

GPU EVGA 02G-P4-2760-KR GeForce GTX 760
    DvD ASUS 24X DVD Burner
    CPU i5-4670K
    Ram G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB 1600
    Mobo ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    PSU CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650
    HeatSink COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
    Case Haf 912

As for storage I'm just using what I got in the computer i am on now. Was told that if I do not plan on OCing a CPU cooler is not really needed. True? If so then I do not need to add any thermal paste to my CPU correct? The stock Intel fan is good to go as is?

Grand total is roughly 870ish$. not including tax / shipping

So that is it, total comes to. Again this is my first build, not the best when it comes to comps so sorry if some of these are not compatible, but I am fairly sure they are. Again if you feel there is something different I should be getting feel free to suggest
    Last edited by sarym13; 2013-07-07 at 12:45 AM.

Drop down to an i5, same difference in gaming.
    HAF 912 is flimsy.

More oomph on your graphics card, since you mention newer games. HD7950/HD7970/GTX 770 levels.
    The rest looks fine. If you do not intend to OC, a H77-board can save you some money.
    SSDs are nice but not required. Storage otherwise? Cannibalising from old build?

Yes current PC has a 250 SSD and a 500 HDD I am gonna be using

Well I tried to put something together that would fit your needs the best. Case can be changed, I like it, some people don't. PSU can also be changed, it's modular though. If you're not planning on overclocking, than the CPU I got is the best at stock speeds, also the GPU I listed is a LOT more powerful than the one you were going to get. Also the cooler is probably over kill if you're not overclocking, so you can change that to what you want as well.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($349.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 550D ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Raidmax 530W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($42.49 @ Amazon)
    Total: $967.43
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-03 21:28 EDT-0400)

If you're getting a z77 board, why not get a 3570k so you can over clock it?
    Way better than getting a 3770, will get more performance and will be the best you can get for gaming.

Get a better case, that one is dodgily(?) made.

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Get a better case, that one is dodgily(?) made.
    Cooler Master HAF series is fine. From my experience with the HAF 922 (old KNN1 edition), what it lacks in features, it makes up in build quality and ease of use: sturdiness of panels and good fit, quality of fans (for an OEM fan). sufficient space, and motherboard standoffs have good fit as compared to the Arc Midi R2 and two standoffs lock in the motherboard before it gets screwed in.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Cooler Master HAF series is fine. From my experience with the HAF 922 (old KNN1 edition), what it lacks in features, it makes up in build quality and ease of use: sturdiness of panels and good fit, quality of fans (for an OEM fan). sufficient space, and motherboard standoffs have good fit as compared to the Arc Midi R2 and two standoffs lock in the motherboard before it gets screwed in.
    My experience with the HAF 912 plus (the only one in the series I have tried) and the Arc Midi (r1) disagrees rather vehemently.
    The 912 plus was flimsy, had okay but rickety structure, fans on the same level as the Arc Midi (not necessarily a good thing) and little build quality what-so-ever.
    What the Arc Midi had, however, was while not good build quality, a lot better. For less money.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-07-04 at 04:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    My experience with the HAF 912 plus (the only one in the series I have tried)
    Maybe the HAF 922 is of significantly higher quality than the HAF 912. I was somewhat disappointed with the Arc Midi R2 after building with the HAF 922.