10+ Year Old Account

Gearing up for PvE

So, I'm getting extremely bored/frustrated with PvP atm and have thought about going back to PvE to kill some time. Except I have no idea how to get into PvE and gear up.

How easy is it to gear up for PvE? What should I do to start? What dungeons/instances etc do I need to do and how does it progress? Any advice or tips to gear up quicker?

Planning on playing my Paladin as Ret if that's any extra help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use your PvP gear and start LFR's to get pick up 502 items. It's that easy since PvP stats don't figure into the budget.

It is very easy to gear up.

1) Get to level 90.

2) Buy ilvl 458 crafted items.

3) Run heroics and scenarios for ilvl 463 items and VP. Possibly buy a crafted ilvl 476 item or two.

4) Go to IoT and get to the "loot" scenario. Farm boxes there for elder charms.

5) If you have honor, buy some ilvl 476 armor pieces. Farm honor for more items.

6) Once you reach ilvl 460, run T14 LFR and burn those charms from (4).

7) Run the 5.3 quest chain to get the ilvl 502 boots from the last quest.

8) Your first VP purchase should be the ilvl 522 neck you can get from the Shado Pan Offensive vendor at neutral rep.

9) Do the 200 VP weekly quest in northern barrens and buy a token to make an ilvl 489 armor piece (not the boots).

Doing this on a recent new alt, I was able to reach ilvl 480 and start doing ToT LFR within a couple of days of hitting 90.

Also: if you are in desperate need of a weapon, you can get an ilvl 450 weapon from the arena scenario (be sure to take the quest inside before starting it), buy a cheap ilvl 463 crafted weapon, get an honor weapon (ilvl 470; may have a restriction that prevents you from doing that right away), or get more expensive epic crafted weapons (ilvl 476?). Non-heroic scenarios will also occasionally drop ilvl 463 weapons in the reward box.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2013-07-05 at 06:19 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the help, guess I'll start searching the AH to start with and see what I can find.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should be able to get the ilvl for the Tier 14 LFRs just between crafted, JP/VP items (remember you can upgrade JP items!), and pvp gear. Check the auction house. You may not even need to run heroics, depending on what is available and how many points you have to spend.

A pass or two through Tier 14 LFRs should yield you the ilvl for ToT LFR, especially if you go get yourself a treasure key, cap your elder coins, and blow a bonus roll on every Tier 14 boss. The elder coins have really good odds to net you gear. Run at least one heroic scenario for the 516 reward, which you can also upgrade 8 more ilvls.

ToT LFR drops ilvl 502 which will get you set for starting normal modes if you desire, and will net you the rep to buy VP rewards that are 522.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Everything said above. If you need to get some gear for ToT normal mode or anything, the 502 reborn weapons can be picked up from the AH for like 20kish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    You should be able to get the ilvl for the Tier 14 LFRs just between crafted, JP/VP items (remember you can upgrade JP items!), and pvp gear. Check the auction house. You may not even need to run heroics, depending on what is available and how many points you have to spend.

A pass or two through Tier 14 LFRs should yield you the ilvl for ToT LFR, especially if you go get yourself a treasure key, cap your elder coins, and blow a bonus roll on every Tier 14 boss. The elder coins have really good odds to net you gear. Run at least one heroic scenario for the 516 reward, which you can also upgrade 8 more ilvls.

ToT LFR drops ilvl 502 which will get you set for starting normal modes if you desire, and will net you the rep to buy VP rewards that are 522.
    What are treasure keys and elder coins? xd How do I get them? As I said, I've done no PvE this expac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as you're already i490 - just queue up for ToT.

From the Isle of Thunder you can find a key in a treasure (usually around some quest area's), or have it drop off a rare/regular mob. It will allow you to gain Elder coins.
    Those give you a second roll for loot in MSV/HoF/ToES. But not sure if you really need it unless you find a raid guild.

If you can get some lesser charms (from mobs/quests etc) you can trade them in for Mogu Runes of Fate, which are for double rolls in ToT.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    What are treasure keys and elder coins? xd How do I get them? As I said, I've done no PvE this expac.
    Treasure keys are the keys that drop from mobs and chests on the Isle of Thunder (in the questing area). If you turn it in you can start a solo scenario where you grab as much loot as you can, and that loot often contains a lot of Elder Charms, which 1 elder charm can be used to essentially get a 2nd roll for loot on a boss for t14 content.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotai View Post
    Seeing as you're already i490 - just queue up for ToT.
    That's what I'm saying! I don't know why everyone is just giving out all of this advice to do dailies and get Elder Charms and crafted gear...the PvP gear is just fine. It simply lacks the PvE set bonuses and trinket procs.