Thread: Analyzing logs

Analyzing logs

Hey guys,

Just looking for some assistance at the best way to analyze logs for myself.

for example, the best way to check the total amount of explosive shots used. Do I just add up the total hits + crits and that is the total number of explosive shits? or would it be better to add up ticks + tick crits, and then divide by 2?

Deleted
    You can't get an accurate number that way. You need to use the log browser. Add a new query, check "spell cast", then on actor type your name, and in the spell name the spell u want to search.

You can get accurate number of Explosive Shots used from "Buff Cast" tab in your char details.

Your explosive shot hits and crits are how many you casted that hit (even with LnL). If for some reason you missed, there is a miss counter on the side. Keep in mind hit and crits are different from ticks and tick crits.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

I usually look at the % uptime on the "Buff Cast" tab. Considering 6s cooldown, and the debuff lasts 2 seconds, that assumes 33.3% uptime under perfect play without any LnL procs. With LnL in the picture, anything under 33.3% is pretty much unacceptable if you are on a single target fight. Uptime may vary on fights where you are Multishot heavy, or have Lei Shen transitions where sometimes you don't attack anything. I'd say 35-36% is a decent enough figure to aim for, while good LnL procs can shoot you much higher. I've had a few fights where I've had 45%+.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremypwnz View Post
    I usually look at the % uptime on the "Buff Cast" tab. Considering 6s cooldown, and the debuff lasts 2 seconds, that assumes 33.3% uptime under perfect play without any LnL procs. With LnL in the picture, anything under 33.3% is pretty much unacceptable if you are on a single target fight. Uptime may vary on fights where you are Multishot heavy, or have Lei Shen transitions where sometimes you don't attack anything. I'd say 35-36% is a decent enough figure to aim for, while good LnL procs can shoot you much higher. I've had a few fights where I've had 45%+.
    Or you could subtract your LnL procs from the hit/crits (LnL procs * 2) then divide the fight duration by it. If it's around 6 then you're good any higher would just mean you are losing a lot of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    Or you could subtract your LnL procs from the hit/crits (LnL procs * 2) then divide the fight duration by it. If it's around 6 then you're good any higher would just mean you are losing a lot of damage.
    That wouldn't be right I don't think because LnL can proc mid-cooldown and reset it.
    Last edited by Glurp; 2013-07-04 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pichuca View Post
    You can't get an accurate number that way. You need to use the log browser. Add a new query, check "spell cast", then on actor type your name, and in the spell name the spell u want to search.
    Adding up the hits and crits gave me the same number as what the buffs cast gave me. I'll check in other logs and see if it adds up as well.

I think the problem you can run into is where they fixed the ES ticks overwriting eachother, so sometimes you may only get 8 ticks instead of 9 (but the same amount of damage) if you have low latency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ticks don't matter to log analysis tho. What you're after is "is this hunter casting as many Explosive shots as possible during the fight?" (Same for Kill Command or any signature shot that's on cooldown). Keep in mind the fight mechanics too - Teh mentioned Lei Shen transitions, and on things like Tortos you might be asked to kick turtles, etc which can affect shot usage.

The other thing to track for any class that relies on DoTs for damage is uptime on the dot. If you're SV especially, uptime on Serpent Sting is important. Ideally, it's 100% again allowing for mechanics of the fight (for example, on Jin'rokh if you have to run lightning several times you'll have some downtime, on Lei Shen you have downtime, etc.

There are other things to look at (Arcane vs Cobra usage, etc) but a quick look at use of signature shots on cooldown and SS uptime usually tells me if the hunter's executing well or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteadee View Post
    I think the problem you can run into is where they fixed the ES ticks overwriting eachother, so sometimes you may only get 8 ticks instead of 9 (but the same amount of damage) if you have low latency.
    you can look at hits/crits. Ticks are a separate column.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    That wouldn't be right I don't think because LnL can proc mid-cooldown and reset it.
    That way is right. The closer to 6 the better. It takes away your LnL procs and just uses the explosive shots you used outside of LnL. If it happens to proc mid cooldown, then most of the time it's not so bad because it resets the CD of it anyway going out of it. Sometimes it works in your favor and sometimes it doesn't.

I have my own (kinda empirical) formula for optimal ES performance
    Number of Explosive Shot casts (as in Buff Cast tab) should be:
    <Active Combat Time in seconds>/6 + <LnL procs>*1.5
    rounded up to larger.
    If you have less ES casts than that number (± 1) then you failed somewhere. Numbers may skew for fights with longer execute phase for ex., when you prioritize KS, but still pretty accurate.
    Last edited by osa; 2013-07-05 at 08:56 AM.