Deleted

If you could revamp/update rogue abilities how would you change them?

This is just for fun, not considering balance. Obviously just don't make the ability directly more powerful, actually think about the concept, dont just say "id make backstab do 10 times more damage unless you've got some good reasoning.

Also consider stuff like a glyph, where you have to give something to gain something, and talents too, or spec feel overall. Also, are there any abilities you'd get rid of?

This is just for fun really, I miss my rogue but sometime it just doesn't feel stealthy enough.

Here's some ideas:

Evasion,
    It just seems a bit lame now, sure it can be useful but it's not necessarily interesting.
    I'd consider adding a stealth to evasion or some kind of invisibility but not actual stealth. You know like with subterfuge? I'd make it some kind of 15 second subterfuge, not necessarily "stealth" but just some kind of invisibility or sneakiness. Could be interesting in pvp, to allow you to attack players and not be seen. It could obscure the target like smoke bomb does but that might be overpowered.

Garrot,
    I started off with this idea as a passive but it sounded over powered, I kind of stole it from the ninja perk in call of duty.
    What if whilst a target had garrott applied to them, they couldn't make any actual sound? So they can't aggro/call for help, and the sound of your attacks cannot aggro another NPC or, more interestingly, another player? You wouldn't be able to hear your teammate being attacked, you'd have to spot him, which might be difficult to do if he's stealthed. Sound's kind of sinister, right?

Slice and Dice
    I'd change it into an active ability. I sort of like the idea of having slice and dice being channeled and rapidly building additional combo points, so you use it when your energy is empty and a few seconds later you've got 5 combo points. If slice and dice got removed, it would lower our passive damage, giving us a change to deal more active damage (as was one of the promises of cataclysm which never came).

I'd sort of energy regeneration by significantly reducing energy regen bonuses from talents/specializations and instead make abilities cheaper. I'd also get rid of the haste increase energy thing - it sounded nice at the time but it's holding us back in other ways. I'd basically make us do less passive damage by slowing down our attacks, which would allow our active abilities to deal more damage.

Deleted
    I'd revert us back to cata and call it a day.

I'd start by firing who designed rogue by cata on, then hire some of the best rogue players and theorycrafters out there so i'd have in my team some1 who really knows how rogue gameplay feels atm, what things have to be removed and what things need to be introduced/modified.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Disgustipated View Post
    Rogues still had their problems then. They were only doing well because of gear scaling, legendaries, pve gear, and lucky proc trinkets.

I'd get rid of feint too. Sure it's powerful, but it's boring.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdeh View Post
    Rogues still had their problems then. They were only doing well because of gear scaling, legendaries, pve gear, and lucky proc trinkets.
    What, you mean like every other class?

We had our problems, but it was fun and we weren't shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    I'd start by firing who designed rogue by cata on, then hire some of the best rogue players and theorycrafters out there so i'd have in my team some1 who really knows how rogue gameplay feels atm, what things have to be removed and what things need to be introduced/modified.
    I liked tbc, and wotlk. Didn't like cata or mop. Cracks started to show by the end of WOTLK, hoped they got fixed with cata, and they didn't. Some cool stuff came out of mop like subterfuge but that's about it, but no actual fix.

I like the idea of being able to disarm from stealth. I like the idea of being able to forcibly move a target as well. What if you had something like teleport another target to somewhere, but you had to give up your opener to perform it. So you highlight your target, use this ability, it does a little dot on the ground (like distract or engineering bombs) whilst you're still stealthed, it teleports them to that location and saps them for a few seconds..

I think hit and run sounded like a fun idea too but people probably forgot about it, it was on PTR and then we got cloak and dagger instead.
    Instant 45 sec cooldown
    Immediately teleport to a targeted location, leaving a shadow of yourself behind. Upon activating the effect a second time, or after 10 sec, you will return to your shadow's location.
    I really think we should get some kind of teleport to a clickable location, if you've ever played rift you'll see that this can work very well and it's fun to use without being overpowered.

Deleted
    I really think we should get some kind of teleport to a clickable location, if you've ever played rift you'll see that this can work very well and it's fun to use without being overpowered.
    Haha, imagine the rift rogue's mobility in wow. Damn, that'd be fun.

Evasion,
    It just seems a bit lame now, sure it can be useful but it's not necessarily interesting.
    It basically is useless because you still have Feral Bleeds and DK Diseases destroying you when you pop it, and with Fist of Justice, and however many stuns warriors, and DK asphyxiation you basically can't dodge anyways. I literally cannot even tell a difference in my survivability when I pop evasion, lol.

As awesome as Rogues were during Cata, a Cata Rogue wouldn't be much more viable than current MoP Rogues. It wasn't just the nerfs to Rogues that hurt, but the fact that every other class has so much more CC, and survivability than they did during Cataclysm. Like for instance, even being reverted to Cata-level Rogue wouldn't really help our mobility at all. The only major difference I see would be Recuperate having +energy and damage reduction on it, and having a second smoke bomb on Preparation. Neither of which would make us more viable.
    Last edited by achromatickang; 2013-07-04 at 01:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Garrote
    Rename it Garrot and when activates turn you into a bunny eating a carrot with an evil glare that goes from opponent to opponent.
    Last edited by the9tail; 2013-07-04 at 01:26 PM.
    Adding bewbs to his Avatar since 2011

Deleted
    Combo Points.
    If its set in stones that rogues will forever have to use combo points, Id change so the points are on you instead of your target.

Also, removing SnD and just increse the basic haste to match SnD or boost damage to counter the loss of SnD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    As awesome as Rogues were during Cata, a Cata Rogue wouldn't be much more viable than current MoP Rogues. It wasn't just the nerfs to Rogues that hurt, but the fact that every other class has so much more CC, and survivability than they did during Cataclysm. Like for instance, even being reverted to Cata-level Rogue wouldn't really help our mobility at all. The only major difference I see would be Recuperate having +energy and damage reduction on it, and having a second smoke bomb on Preparation. Neither of which would make us more viable.
    Unless you count the ShS nerf, then it'd somewhat help our mobility. But you're actually saying that more damage output, better survivability and generally a more interesting playstyle wouldn't make us more viable?

10+ Year Old Account
    I know theres a reason why combo points are on the target and not the rogue, but i really wish combo points were on the rogue instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I know theres a reason why combo points are on the target and not the rogue, but i really wish combo points were on the rogue instead.
    then you would be a monk :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Sometimes I agree with this too, it just doesn't feel useful. Redirect should just be passive.

Or they could do something so that every time you lost combo points, you got rewarded in some other way.

Unless you count the ShS nerf, then it'd somewhat help our mobility. But you're actually saying that more damage output, better survivability and generally a more interesting playstyle wouldn't make us more viable?
    To be honest I felt like my damage was absolutely horrible in Cataclysm (keep in mind I didn't play during Season 11). I felt like my survivability and control were amazing, but my Shadow Dance, even when set up perfectly couldn't 100-0 someone the way it does now. I really relied on setting up a kidney, smoke bomb and doing a little bit of damage alongside another class who had legitimately better burst than me. I would definitely welcome that play style again, but I still think mobility would be a major issue.

Does anyone else feel like Rogue burst is dramatically more powerful in MoP than during Cata? Granted our sustained was way higher (being able to spam Hemo for decent DPS was a nice feature).

Deleted
    Haha, imagine the rift rogue's mobility in wow. Damn, that'd be fun.
    It would be fun, it would be overpowered to have THAT much mobility in wow. It works in rift because riftstalkers or whatever they are don't actually have that much damage, they're tanks.

If I could take a concept and put it into wow, it would be some kind of rogue/magic hybrid... Not like a death knight which is basically warrior/warlock. It'd have like magic based, melee attacks, sort of like a nightstalker but blizzard could probably make a better job of it if they put their minds to it - it would have to be a leather based melee class with stealth, so it would be like a knew talent tree.

Anyone considered that maybe in the next expansion, rather than a new class or race, they'll introduce another talent tree for every class? Something a little bit weird, that let rogues got range, hunters melee, mages heal, warriors do magic, that sort of weird thing... Ok maybe that's a little too extreme, but thats pretty much what they did in rift.

It would be fun, it would be overpowered to have THAT much mobility in wow. It works in rift because riftstalkers or whatever they are don't actually have that much damage, they're tanks.

If I could take a concept and put it into wow, it would be some kind of rogue/magic hybrid... Not like a death knight which is basically warrior/warlock. It'd have like magic based, melee attacks, sort of like a nightstalker but blizzard could probably make a better job of it if they put their minds to it - it would have to be a leather based melee class with stealth, so it would be like a knew talent tree.

Anyone considered that maybe in the next expansion, rather than a new class or race, they'll introduce another talent tree for every class? Something a little bit weird, that let rogues got range, hunters melee, mages heal, warriors do magic, that sort of weird thing... Ok maybe that's a little too extreme, but thats pretty much what they did in rift.
    The most annoying thing about being a Riftstalker in PVP was the fact that on any capture the flag map all of your teleports were unusable whether you were carrying the flag or not. This meant that you lost half of your abilities. Did they ever fix that?

That being said the mobility in Rift didn't feel that great considering how horrible melee was the last time I played (this was pre expansion). I usually rolled as Saboteur though because of the sick AOE damage. Single target felt significantly less valuable since there were no arenas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rangvald View Post
    Combo Points.
    If its set in stones that rogues will forever have to use combo points, Id change so the points are on you instead of your target.

Also, removing SnD and just increse the basic haste to match SnD or boost damage to counter the loss of SnD.
    rift has this with the combo points and its amazing!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    To be honest I felt like my damage was absolutely horrible in Cataclysm (keep in mind I didn't play during Season 11). I felt like my survivability and control were amazing, but my Shadow Dance, even when set up perfectly couldn't 100-0 someone the way it does now. I really relied on setting up a kidney, smoke bomb and doing a little bit of damage alongside another class who had legitimately better burst than me. I would definitely welcome that play style again, but I still think mobility would be a major issue.
    I prefer S10 over 11. It felt like we had a bit of everything, but nothing over the top. And I suppose the constant bitching, from every other class, during and after S11 contributes a bit.
    Does anyone else feel like Rogue burst is dramatically more powerful in MoP than during Cata? Granted our sustained was way higher (being able to spam Hemo for decent DPS was a nice feature).
    It probably is, thanks to SB and MfD. But outside of double eviscerates on clothies, and SB, our damage is pitiful. Well, unless you're assassination.

And yeh, mobility's been an issue since the beginning of time.