Poll: Do you Judge People on their Names?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Do you judge people on their real life names?

So this video popped up on my newsfeed earlier, and All throughout I was pretty sickened by everything this Katie woman was saying.

To Judge a child on something they have no control over seems to me to be extreme, what are your opinions? Would you stop your child from playing with another child, if you didn't like their name, or thought that name wasn't from a background (class wise) that your child should be associated with?

EDIT: To be clear I am talking real life names , not nicknames or online names etc.

For those not watching the video, names she is declaring as unworthy of her, are names such as Tyler, and Kylie, and Charmaine, Brandon, Chardonnay. Any names of the month, like June or April etc, geographical names, Even though she called her own children India and Poppy.

Also have a watch at the video!

Mod Edit: Improved the title to clarify the OP's question better.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-07-04 at 11:54 PM.

Deleted
    Real life names? no. I judge people based on their nicknames though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Real life names? no. I judge people based on their nicknames though.
    Sorry I should have clarified, real life names, given by parents/guardians etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    If I judge at all about it then I judge the parents, not the children.

What a stupid woman. Reminds me of my aunt in some ways. Thinks she's better than everyone else with all this upper class bullshit. Her nose is really big as well. Suits her ass probably.

Bitch. She's literally sickening.
    Last edited by Tommy T; 2013-07-04 at 07:26 PM.

Deleted
    Generally speaking, no. There's a few names that I do though..

Deleted
    Judge? No, at least not intentionally. I do react to names I'm not used to though, and I'm sure there are some stupid stereotypes drilled into my head that I can't get rid of no matter how much I try, but I don't actively treat someone differently from the name alone, I do that based on their personality.

Also, the woman in the video is quite ridiculous, I can't understand how someone would find that reasonable...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    What a stupid woman. Reminds me of my aunt in some ways. Thinks she's better than everyone else with all this upper class bullshit. Her nose is really big as well. Suits her ass probably.

Bitch. She's literally sickening.
    Hey now...

That's a positive physical trait! To some. As well as having a more "pronounced nose."

(But this foolish woman btw, is channeling the bygone Victorian Era.)

Some names are really only common in specific races, religions and social-economic-status'es. It's hard not to associate the name with the limited circumstances in which people pick to give someone that name. Not that it should reflect on their character, but it probably does give you some pre-conceptions about their race/religion/SES. It's only natural to make some assumptions, as long as you are cognoscente that you are assuming certain things based on very weak evidence.

I guess i judge the parents more...

But I still automatically assume age a lot of times when i hear old timey names like Otto and Olga and the likes.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartj1992 View Post
    If I judge at all about it then I judge the parents, not the children.
    Same here. Most names are fine but then there are those you know they either did or will be picked on during school.

Judging someone by their name is one of the dumbest things possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's a normal name - No.

If it's a name like... "North West" well.. that nearly forces me to at least judge the parents xD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    If it's a normal name - No.

If it's a name like... "North West" well.. that nearly forces me to at least judge the parents xD
    Isn't that what Kanye called his kid?

Deleted
    Depends.. I think I would be cautious if the name sounds middle eastern or Indian. I would not stop my child from playing with them but if he/she wants to go over to their place to play, Id want to know who their parents are before allowing that. Not because they might be terrorists but because I wouldn't want them to talk about their religion in front of my child or possibly try to convert them.

Deleted
    Holly is like the hottest woman alive

OT: Although I dont do it myself I can see her point. Its almost like profiling and taking an educated guess.

Deleted
    Real names? Nope, but I will judge them by their nickname.

No, it might make me wonder about their parents a bit, but not them. Now if the names are made up by the person like Chad Ocho Cinco aka Chad Johnson then yes.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I don't judge people based on anything, we are all transient scum.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Real names? Nope, but I will judge them by their nickname.
    I dunno, not so long ago i wouldn't have found someone nicknamed Littlefinger very dangerous...