Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    as a raid leader you have to fill 9/24 other spots, and with every single player you invite to the raid you must decide if they are going to be useful.... Trying to carry one person potentially wastes the time of 9/24 other people who might be doing their jobs well (chances are low that only one person isn't doing well). There are groups and guilds that help people gear and raid casually, and that's where you have to start if you want to get to the top-tier stuff. Nobody starts at the top of the ladder.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuzantar View Post
    Why would they take someone without experience who is more likely to fuck it up because they haven't actually done it?
    This post makes no sense to me.
    You could either start your own group, or raid with a guild like everyone else.
    And this is a classic example of why PUG's don't happen half as much, people with no patience or willingness to teach others or even give them a chance.

    Did it never occur to you that you didn't start play knowing all the fights and killed all the bosses.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"

  3. #23
    Reading the OP, the "nothing but bad experiences from guilds" line really sticks out to me. OP, most guilds aren't like that. The fact that you've gotten into nothing but bad guilds makes me wonder if, maybe, part of the problem lies with you. I'm not saying that it does, I'm just musing on whether it might.

    Either way, you're going to need a guild if you want to actively raid. Any decent pug will be hesitant to let inexperienced players in and rightly so.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    And this is a classic example of why PUG's don't happen half as much, people with no patience or willingness to teach others or even give them a chance.

    Did it never occur to you that you didn't start play knowing all the fights and killed all the bosses.
    Did it never occur to you that there are many, MANY people out there that know the fights and don't need them explained? You're damned right that I have no patience teaching you the fight when myself and the other people in the raid already learned it long ago. Do you have any concept of how much time it takes to teach someone a fight that they've never done? Do you really expect those 9 other players to spend all that time on ONE person when they could simply pug an experienced player and be done with it?

    You want to learn the fights? Join a guild, watch videos, or pay for an invite so you can try it first hand. Do not, however, come here bitching that you can't get into a pug because they don't want to waste their time teaching you. The only person feeling sorry for you on that one is yourself.

    You're the one responsible for learning the fight. You do that by joining a guild. If you can't get into a guild, that's no one's problem but your own.

  4. #24
    Find a guild you like and see if they take socials, and soon enough if you are any good you will find yourself in their alt raid which you could then move on to their main raid when someone burns out or whaterver.

  5. #25
    From reading the OP I think you're afraid of trying to join a guild. The problem you have does exist but to say there are not guilds that would have you because of lack of experience is not true, for sure some will (especially if you're looking to join a heroic mode guild) but if you want to find and join a good healthy guild, you can.
    I7 2600k @4.5ghz : 16GB DDR3 : GTX670 : Firestudio : Naga : G27

  6. #26
    The Patient Tuzantar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakari View Post
    And this is a classic example of why PUG's don't happen half as much, people with no patience or willingness to teach others or even give them a chance.

    Did it never occur to you that you didn't start play knowing all the fights and killed all the bosses.
    Why on earth would I teach people in a pug?

    Also no, I never started pugging anything before I did the fights.
    I raided with my guild and/or IRL friends, and then pugged some shit on alts after I had achievements.

  7. #27
    #1 solution to all raiding problems: Make WoW friends. If you can do that, you will, eventually, be able to cement yourself into a raiding guild. If you aren't willing to do that, then why are you playing an MMO? This solution also applies to many real-life problems as well. Can't get a job? Make friends! Depressed? Make friends! Need a place to live but don't make much money? Make friends! So many problems have social solutions and it works the same in WoW.


    The only way I can see that failing is if you are bad at your class/role and unwilling to improve.

  8. #28
    So you want PUG group leaders to have no standards?

    Yeah that'll go over well when wiping to jin'rokh and horridon for hours because no one knows how the fight actually works in normal mode or they are wearing 460 gear. PUGs dont know you and they don't care about you, they put up standards to make sure the group will succeed or at least to give it the best odds. When you get some LFR hero that has never killed the first boss in normal and thus has never experienced the mechanics, they generally aren't going to take the risk that you're going to screw up and wipe the raid.

    Nothing wrong with that. It's as senseless as complaining some corporation didn't hire you as an executive when you have no education, no experience, but claim you know what to do because you saw a movie about it once.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

  9. #29
    Herald of the Titans DEATHETERNAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, more fascist every day
    Posts
    2,983
    You can't get experience because you refuse to take the steps necessary to gain experience. Either do what is generally required to obtain what you want or it becomes your own fault for not getting it. If all you have done is LFR, no pug has any reason to trust that you have any idea what in heck your doing. If their standards allowed such, their pugs would be full of LFR only lack wits causing their pugs to fail and their time to be wasted. Whether you aren't a lack wit or not is irrelevant as they have no capacity to judge that. All they can see is that you have a high probability of being a lack wit and, not wanting to waste their time forming a pug that will likely fail, they won't take you.

    Do what is required to get what you want, or get over not getting it.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

  10. #30
    Perhaps it's your approach or you're known to be a bad player. I never have any difficulty getting into raids, including runs with HMs. Next time you get that let them know you've read/watched all the fights and won't be a liability... oh and then you better not be a fucking liability. Your ilevel shoul be enough to convince a normal mode to at least give you a shot.

    Also, are you trying to tank or dps? I would be much less inclined to bring a tank who I didn't trust than a dps.
    Last edited by Eviscero; 2013-07-04 at 08:10 PM.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    Perhaps it's your approach or you're known to be a bad player. I never have any difficulty getting into raids, including runs with HMs. Next time you get that let them know you've read/watched all the fights and won't be a liability... oh and then you better not be a fucking liability. Is your ilevel really low? Because if it is 515+, that should be enough to convince a normal mode to at least give you a shot.
    This is excellent advice. Another way to say it would be: Talk yourself up, make yourself sound appealing and then prove that you weren't lying.

    I couldn't tell you how many groups I've gotten into just by telling them that I knew all the fights and wouldn't let them down. Hell, I got into my current guild by joining them as a pug tank in their heroic MSV (pre-5.2) when I had zero heroic kills in MoP at the time. I simply told them that I knew the fights (I had read the strategies on Icy-Veins) and, bam, I got in and did the fights without issue.

    It's all about how you present yourself. If you say you're good and then show it, you'll usually do well. If, however, you speak without confidence, make lots of spelling/grammar errors (look like an idiot), you probably won't even get a chance to prove yourself.


    edit: And yet another excellent point from the below poster! Yup, when you start wiping to content that most of the group knows, people start leaving and the raid starts falling apart.

  12. #32
    Do you own pug and make your own rules. If I were to do a pug, I'd ask for it too because I wouldn't want to spend half the time explaining the fights. If you wanna do progression raiding (so.. learning the fights), join a guild.

    I don't do pugs anymore, I always go in guild, but from memory, if you wipe twice, people suddenly forgot they had stuff to do and leave, so you have to pick the best team you can get otherwise you'll spend half your time in trade chat.
    Karuzo, mistweaver monk | Macphisto, discipline priest
    <Razzia>, US-Arthas

  13. #33
    It's not fair but should be able to understand why it happens. If you have 2 people one with experience and one without which one would you pick?

    Others have given you some great advice. My advice is to break down and join a guild that suits your needs. If you really don't want to join a guild or create your own pug then be honest when joining pugs but still try to put yourself over. You may even want to state you won't pick up any loot or some other incentive so they take you and you get that experience. And above all when you do end up going knock their socks off.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Temperance Brennan View Post
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Nzall/advanced

    I'm at wits end. I can get nothing from LFR except a belt and 4P T15. I can get minor upgrades from heroic caches for some slots. but every time I try to join a normal ToT raid pug from trade, I get a reply in the vein of "sorry, you don't have any kills" or "looking for someone with more exp". And that's if they don't simply demand AotC right away, even for a non-lei shen pug. They check armory, so I cannot fake my achievement.

    I could bribe someone, but that would take quite abit of time. I could join a guild, but I have nothing but bad experiences from guilds, either from malicious guild masters or from ignorant and dumb guildies. and even if I can find a decent guild, they ALSO ASK EXP...

    It's a vicious circle: I can't get EXP because I don't have any EXP.
    You only have 4p T15 and a belt from LFR? How about you have 2 ToT trinkets too. Which shows me that you're willing to stretch the truth to paint yourself in the light you want. So be more honest.

    You make every excuse as to why you can't get into a guild. If you have nothing but bad experiences, what is the common denominator there? It's you. There are plenty of nice guilds out there that are raiding normals.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by think309 View Post
    Start your own pug?

    OT, but...

    http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Question-Marks-Correctly

  16. #36
    You absoltuely need to talk yourself up.

    Be upfront, be well-spoken, be confident. "515 Ret Pally here. I've researched all the normal mode fights and really want to get in to get some experience, so that's more important to me than loot right now- if you guys need stuff for mainspec I'm cool with passing," sounds a lot better than "0/12 515 ret," or "515 ret no exp i rlly need the exp pls bring me."
    Even add in "I usually do about #x dps in LFR."

    The problem here is that you NEED to be able to back up your talk, so practice that rotation and research those fights. Practice doing mechanics correctly in LFR, or at least keep in mind what you'd need to do on Normal mode. If you can present yourself as caring about performing well, and you do perform well, you'll have a better chance of getting into a group.

    This is all speaking from the perspective of someone who has to pick up a pug sometimes to fill a spot in a guild run, and we're sometimes willing to carry a little bit if someone seems cool/nice/good.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    You only have 4p T15 and a belt from LFR? How about you have 2 ToT trinkets too. Which shows me that you're willing to stretch the truth to paint yourself in the light you want. So be more honest.

    You make every excuse as to why you can't get into a guild. If you have nothing but bad experiences, what is the common denominator there? It's you. There are plenty of nice guilds out there that are raiding normals.
    I suggest you take another look at Temperance's armory. You clearly misunderstood what he/she was saying about 4p T15 and a belt.

    hint: 4p T15 and a belt is all that he/she still needs from LFR.

  18. #38
    Stood in the Fire Fog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Alsvåg
    Posts
    402
    I didn't read any responses, only searched for a keyword I didn't find.
    So, here goes: Have you tried Open Raid? http://www.openraid.us for US players, http://www.openraid.eu for EU players.
    Many ask for experience there as well, but you might be abit more lucky there than anywhere else. I've gotten loads of runs on my alts through that site without them asking for experience beyond that I've read tacts. I know them all from raiding on my main, but they don't know that.

    Honesty goes along way. Just say you lack experience, but you have read up and stuff.
    Sadly, it doesn't work for current tier, as in Throne of Thunder, but you can get older tiers done, and that helps alot for ToT pugs as well when they see you've done the older raids.

  19. #39
    You could just find a random player on armory and tell them thats your main and this is just an alt

  20. #40
    I can easily udnerstand why PUG leaders don't invite a person without some kind of indication that the person is a decent raider. Some months ago I joined a raid that was going for HoF. I was severely overgeared for HoF, but thought it could be fun to revisit the instance. Man was I wrong. Some of the people the raidleader had invited had obviously very little raiding experience and failed horribly. After 10 wipes or so on the first boss I ended up leaving. Therefore: If you want the best chance of a good pug, invite friends or people with a relevant achievement. Not setting a bar, will come with a huge risk of not having any fun at all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •