Poll: Merge Factions?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by hitandruntactic View Post
    It could have ramifications for reputation with the players race. It could also be confined to BGs and arenas. I recognise its far too late to change any of the faction crap however updating things to match the story should ALWAYS matter and count as new content; new content doesn't mean end game raids and the next handful of zones in a new expansion.
    A faction merger would require, at the very least, a cataclysm style revamp of just about every zone in the game. It would require changing how a lot of things work like battlegrounds and world pvp. It would just all around be far too much work to actually pull off in a way that wouldn't be a technical disaster, and if they DID get rid of the factions I think blizzard would have a huge backlash that it hasn't seen since it tried to put the real names of players on the forums instead of posting through characters. Sure, some people might enjoy it, but they would alienate a very large portion of their playerbase by doing away with faction identity.

I could actually see merging factions working. First the Burning Legion invades or otherwise is coming right for us and we start to realize we have more in common than not in light of this bigger threat. Our leaders decide to set aside our differences and work together, so for now we share resources and don't kill on site in even major cities and the like. So you could have that in your PVE aspect, cooperation between our factions and war against a greater enemy.

However, what of PVP? I don't see why it would have to go away. Rather than the major leaders being in conflict, there would be splinter groups that refused to overlook our violent pasts. They will still hold out some kind of need to fight the other side and when you want to pvp. So when you queue for the new battlegrounds you will be joining on one of their sides for the battle. Arenas have no reason to change at all. The only question left would be what of world pvp? Well you could still have it, and maybe even as free for all mode. That way you could potentially even kill people of your own faction which could be handy for people who really want to get violent over resources and it would solve the issue of not having enough people of the opposite side to kill on your pvp servers. I mean, if you decided to go murder someone out in the woods why should that be restricted to just one side?

Moved to Comics Fury. Rereleased and updated.

It would kill the game. Warcraft being Horde vs Alliance is a staple.

We've united against threats before without factions merging. Vanilla (AQ), BC (dark portal), Wrath (wrathgate), Cata (the gunships in Deepholme and Dragon Soul), MoP (siege of orgrimmar) we can unite against the legion without merging factions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by hitandruntactic View Post
    A peace treaty means peace. Ceasefire means suspended hostilities. You should learn the jargon before opening your mouth.
    You want a better word than treaty for define the situation? Truce. That was a truce, because hostility and animosity between the factions was all there, simply the "treaty" estabilished a "ceasefire" between them, something they wanted only because the situation required it, not because they suddenly began to love each other and wanted peace for the good of everyone. If an Alliance/Horde ship was going to enter in Horde/Alliance sea, that would have been immediatily destroyed, the night elves refused to trade with the orcs because of the events of the Wrathgate, Garrosh hated the Alliance, Varian hated the Horde and everyone else distrusted or disliked the other faction. You can seriously call that "peace" simply because they had a good reason for just don't jump on their respective throats?

If that is peace for you, I guess you consider peace also the Europe situation in the first 1900, when has been sufficient the single murderous act of a madman for trigger a world war.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Terrible idea!

Asking perhaps the main characters of each faction to put aside their differences is possible, albeit near impossible. Asking however the grunts of the armies, the foot soldiers who've lost friends, families and shed blood for their faction, is just stupid.

Remember, we've been dealing with Thrall, Wrathion, Vol'jin, Garrosh and the other characters, we know exactly what has happened, we've been there, been involved in the very start, while the majority of the people of the Alliance / Horde have only had to deal with the orders and consequences of their leaders actions.

Asking for peace between the two factions makes no sense, and honestly would just make the game suck.

Deleted
    I'm a pacifist, so I would like peace between the Alliance and Horde as I recognize both as heroic factions - they just do things differently. Many of my friends also play solely on the opposite faction, so I'd love to be able to group up with them! I think there would have to be a tense atmosphere and restrictions on where you can go, though - for example, you wouldn't be attacked outright entering the opposing faction's settlements, but you couldn't buy or sell anything to show how the bad blood is still there.

Just my opinion, though.

Go play Rift if you want zero faction rivalry. This is WORLD OF WARCRAFT. Not happy go lucky gumdrop lollypop game.

A lot of people absolutely hated the Horde and Alliance "working together" in Cata. It was very stupid and annoying to watch.

Deleted
    Dear God what a horrifying thought. No, never.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Asking perhaps the main characters of each faction to put aside their differences is possible, albeit near impossible. Asking however the grunts of the armies, the foot soldiers who've lost friends, families and shed blood for their faction, is just stupid.
    I'm glad that someone understand it, the leaders are just leaders, their opinion is not the opinion of all of their people, and asking to this people to forget all the hell they faced fighting their hated enemy is foolish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.