blizzard is good to use for aoe fights?

Hi.
    I'm asking this because i want to maintain my action bars and keybinding and i don't know what aoe spell I should use.
    I'm playing as fire mage
    Ty.

If killing a large amount of add is a priority, then yes.

Flamestrike ==> Blizzard or Flamestrike ==> AE Spam

(Blizzard for more long-term, AE spam for short term; it's a judgement call)
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Multi Dotting with NT and using flamestrike on CD will do more damage then using flamestrike into blizzard.
    Also, glyphed Cone of Cold hits like a truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Quote Originally Posted by Saegno View Post
    Multi Dotting with NT and using flamestrike on CD will do more damage then using flamestrike into blizzard.
    Also, glyphed Cone of Cold hits like a truck.
    Assuming you use NT. I thought the discussion brought to light that most fights favor LB now... :\

Though yeah, if you have NT, you could multidot like crazy. Fire also has the Major Glyph slots to use Glyphed CoC, so if you need the AoE, go for that
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    Assuming you use NT. I thought the discussion brought to light that most fights favor LB now... :\

Though yeah, if you have NT, you could multidot like crazy. Fire also has the Major Glyph slots to use Glyphed CoC, so if you need the AoE, go for that
    Well yeah, LB > NT for your Jinrohks and Durumus but if it's an AoE fight, such as Horridon, no reason to not go with NT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

I'm using LB , I'm soon to hit 90 , does it matter if il'l go with fire spec with levelign gear instead of arcance?

Deleted
    Actually, I use :
    FlameStrike + Frost bomb with Freeze/RoF if possible
    and Blizzard when I have else nothing to do.

I feel Blizzard is better than IL cleave spam for 8+ targets.
    On trash before Qwon, I jumped to 1.2M dps last week. It really need a good packing and a big heal add.

Quote Originally Posted by sabag123 View Post
    Hi.
    I'm asking this because i want to maintain my action bars and keybinding and i don't know what aoe spell I should use.
    I'm playing as fire mage
    Ty.
    Fire mage does neglidgible dps for AoE. Plain and simple. Trash is trash, do not worry about it. If you are talking more about AoE fights during boss encounters, try and line up your Combustion to be able to spread off of the boss (or a large add) and onto the little adds for lots of AoE damage. Only places you will really see this is Horridon, Council, Tort, Mag (heroic), Durumu (heroic), Qon (heroic), and Lei Shen. As you can tell, mostly just during Heroic fights.

Overall, I can pretty confidently say if you are using flamestrike or blizzard during a boss encounter, you are doing it wrong. No questions asked. 100% a dps loss to be using blizzard or flamestrike as a fire mage. Just line up with combustion and spread. If combusion is down, glyph CoC and use it maybe once, but keeping NT/LB up on as many mobs as possible and continually spreading your ignite off of the boss is going to be a higher dps gain for you than Blizzard of Flamestrike.

If the goal is to do aoe damage you should go frost. Fire cleave is strong but at the point where nether tempest is better fire falls off versus frost in terms of aoe. A prime example of this is lei shen where I use blizzard or arcane explosion to help kill ball lightning where the damage from either blizzard or arcane explosion is terrible compared to other classes aoe.
    Last edited by Henzington; 2013-07-05 at 03:37 PM.

It all depends on how quickly things die like some mentioned. I find that if they take awhile to die and you have NT multi-dotting is the best way combined with with things like glyphed CoC and Frozen Orb. Otherwise if they die quickly Flame Strike, glyphed CoC, and Arcane Explosion are great. This is all assuming you are frost. Arcane has pretty decent cleave and fire I know very little about.

It's only really useful to use Blizzard/Arcane Explosion/Flamestrike on one encounter this tier, Heroic Lei Shen. Other than that, stick with multidotting with NT.

Deleted
    Hmm, seems some haven't seen AEs damage recently.

I'm using LB , I'm soon to hit 90 , does it matter if il'l go with fire spec with levelign gear instead of arcance?
    If you're going Fire with leveling gear, I don't think you should worry too much about your dps... >_>;

What's annoying is that when other AOEs got buffed recently, Blizzard ignored Cone of Cold completely. Unglyphed, it already did less damage than Arcane Explosion before AE was buffed. The reason is that it has a "snare tax", so it gets a bit less spell power scaling than other forms of AOE. The base damage used to be slightly higher than AE.

Blizzard is great for snapshotting haste procs (like Tempus Repit, Icy Veins or Heroism) just before they end. There's effectively no haste cap with it, so at really high levels of haste, it's a very good spell.

Flamestrike is interesting in that it is a DOT and as such the DOT ticks have haste breakpoints. I think that's why Blizzard only buffed the initial damage and left the DOT part alone. As such, the damage scales twice with haste: cast time & DOT period are both improved by haste. Ice Ward on tank + Flamestrike on AOE pulls can result in some pretty nice initial shatter burst (available to all specs, but as of this writing, frost still has the mastery bonus too).

But yeah...buff CoC please - its current state just makes me sad.

It looks like 5.4 won't be of any help either.

Hi.
    I'm playing as fire mage
    Ty.
    Most of the time adds are not up long enough for tab Neather tempest to be effective AoE (don't confuse AoE with multidoting like Council, H Durumu and Horridon) Heroic Mag is the only fight that comes to mind when the adds few enough and up long enough to be effective and if you do it on Tortos then it's just padding. Fights like Lei Shen and Heroic Twins just straight Blizzard or as some are saying Flamestrike then Blizzard. Also this is dependent that you are Fire/Frost, if you are Arcane then glyph Arcabe Explosion and make sure you have 4 charges before AoE begins then just spam that button. I also wound not worry about glyph of CoC because if they are not frozen then it hits for about the same as a tick of Blizzard.

While I freely admit I don't give a shit about trash and as such this is just based on what I see (aka not backed by math). I drop Flamestrike and then go AE, my AE is doing ~50k per mob while blizzard is doing ~20k per mob. Blizzard also ties me to one spot and never seems to line up well (want to use procs or forced to move, etc)

Both packs of Iron Qon trash dogs, around 900k dmg for single AE.. dont think that blizzard can beat this

You can hop around and AE all you want but there are certain fights where blizzard is better if you are fire or frost. Heroic Twins and Lei Shen are the only fights I use blizzard on. When P2 starts on Twins and all the adds come to the middle, we lust and I'm spamming like 1.2 second Blizzards. In this case Billzard is far superior. On LS Regular AE can be good since your stacked up for ball lightning but Fs/Blizz is just as good, heroic they should be dying so fast that you can only get 2-3 globals out so AE is good gor that. For arcane none of this matters because AE with 4 charges will always be best.