Thread: Chimpanzees

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Chimpanzees

Our closest relative from the animal kingdom. I was always amazed by how intelligent this creature is and how much learning potential it has. The internet is full of videos of them doing almost freakishly human-like things.

Learning potential:

They can learn how to use fire:

General human-like behavior:

There are more videos out there of them doing amazing stuff, but I don't have the time to search right now.

Found another one, this time about a gorilla walking upright:

How do you think they will evolve? Can we and should we interfere and accelerate the process? What would the advantages/disadvantages be?
    Last edited by mmoc1624a4632d; 2013-07-05 at 09:13 AM.

Them being vicious at times and ripping your face off would be one disadvantage to start you off.

These guys can be pretty vicious cunts too, rather like humans. I've always found them a fascinating species.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're certainly not too far behind. Honestly, I think we should try to help them along their development as a species. It's the least we could do after pushing all of the other intelligent hominids into extinction.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    These guys can be pretty vicious cunts too, rather like humans. I've always found them a fascinating species.
    The Boskops probably felt that way about us.

and then we wiped them out in inter-species genocide... Maybe we should actually keep an eye on the chimpanzees O_o

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I like video of the young ones jumping up and down going nuts. Seeing young children acting up at the mall... yeah, we ain't too different. lol

Sometimes I catch that old "Escape to Chimp Eden" show, man...they must scream the entire time. o.O Although if we listen to large crowd of people we're not much better.

Deleted
    we should protect them in their natural environment, we should study them for knowledge, but under no circumstance try and interfere and accelerate the evolution process on another species. Sure accelerate our own evolution I am all for that, however until an animal turns round and says in a clear and understandable way they it wants to evolve at a faster pace than nature has dictated then we should not interfere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    They're certainly not too far behind. Honestly, I think we should try to help them along their development as a species. It's the least we could do after pushing all of the other intelligent hominids into extinction.
    As Sigma said, the biggest favor we can do to Chimps and all other wild animals is: leave them and their habitats alone.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewarior View Post
    Them being vicious at times and ripping your face off would be one disadvantage to start you off.
    Actually humans are quite capable of destroying a chimpanzee in an unarmed fight. Most cases of Chimpanzee's seriously wounding or killing a Human are because the Human is some weak inexperienced unarmed male or a woman.

Now let's say the Human is a natural built or "farmer strong" athlete that is 6'0+ and weighs over 200+ pounds that has a general understanding of combat. You bet your ass that he will kill that Chimpanzee. An average Chimpanzee only weighs around 100 pounds and stand at around 3 feet tall. All the human has to do is just pick it up and chuck it against a tree or just snap its neck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    As Sigma said, the biggest favor we can do to Chimps and all other wild animals is: leave them and their habitats alone.
    Bah, to hell with that. Nature has no plan. It's not a sentient being. Humans can take nature's failures and make marvels out of them. If we can elevate our ape brethren from their savagery, then why should we not?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    Actually humans are quite capable of destroying a chimpanzee in an unarmed fight. Most cases of Chimpanzee's seriously wounding or killing a Human are because the Human is some weak inexperienced unarmed male or a woman.

Now let's say the Human is a natural built or "farmer strong" athlete that is 6'0+ and weighs over 200+ pounds that has a general understanding of combat. You bet your ass that he will kill that Chimpanzee. An average Chimpanzee only weighs around 100 pounds and stand at around 3 feet tall. All the human has to do is just pick it up and chuck it against a tree or just snap its neck.
    The human also needs to be willing to bite. Humans tend to forget that our jaw is the strongest part of our body, and can cause the most damage. Chimps, on the other hand, always remember that about themselves.

Deleted
    Apes scare me...

They are one of the most intelligent mammals in existence currently, and dependent on the ape in question - can take a cluster of shots to the skull and still come and eat your face.

(Seriously, there are a ton of videos out there of failed game trips and attacks)

Chimps are smaller than the ones i'm thinking off, but are unpredictable mostly - a lady in the U.K had her face torn off by a pet one.

10+ Year Old Account

I'd say ok, prove it, but that's a terribly dangerous suggestion, no matter how overpowered a person thinks they are. Strong, armed, or whatever, we will never have their musculature, etc that lends them to such strength. Sure, pick it up and throw it...if you're throwing one that's been sedated.

Deleted
    Well, the musculature of a chimpanzee is nothing to write home about. Specially wild ones, who are most of the time half-starved (unless they are one of the highest-status ones).

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    I'd say ok, prove it, but that's a terribly dangerous suggestion, no matter how overpowered a person thinks they are. Strong, armed, or whatever, we will never have their musculature, etc that lends them to such strength. Sure, pick it up and throw it...if you're throwing one that's been sedated.
    Lol, yeah. I could pick up and toss a 100 lb object. If that 100 lb object happened to be a healthy adult chimp, I'd fully expect to have a broken arm, or dislocated shoulder, or serious bleeding from bite wounds before I managed it, though.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2013-07-05 at 10:22 AM.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I got a questin, if/when apes evolve to a more inteligent, won´t they they start to have "cleaver beaviors" and at the same time lose some of the strengh on the rest of the body?

Like what happened to us as a specie, as we started to use more brain we lost strength because we used less the rest of the body, at least i supose this was what happened as we evolved.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

Deleted

Have you any idea how strong a chimp is? strong enough to pull your arms off at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything I know about chimps I learned from Daniel Tosh.

Deleted
    give it a century or two, there wont be any left, so evolution isn't really a factor.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akamurdoch View Post
    give it a century or two, there wont be any left, so evolution isn't really a factor.
    We are quite optimistc arent we?
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

I think in general we tend to underestimate how intelligent other species are. Supposedly dogs can divide and multiply, their mathematical ability supposedly far exceeds their language skills (although at least one border collie out there has a 1,000 word vocabulary, the vocabulary size of a 3-year old). Pigs are supposedly even smarter than dogs, dolphins almost scarily intelligent.

Dreaming fascinates me, I remember one video of a gorilla (who was taught sign language) telling her handler about a dream she had the night beforehand. My dog obviously dreams, she sometimes whimpers in her sleep or makes digging motions with her paws while in an obvious REM state. The other night she was wagging her tail in her sleep, which was pretty cute to watch. Must have been a good dream

i think bonobos are a little cooler. seem to have more potential to me.

though, if dolphins had hands, they'd shit on chimps and bonobos xD