Thread: Won't power on

10+ Year Old Account

Won't power on

I feel like a total noob. I cant get my computer to power on. I've connected the power sw wires correctly and I can't figure out what I'm missing. Please throw me some suggestions!!!
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro
    Razer Blackwidow Chroma - Steelseries QCK Heavy - Hyper X Cloud II

On/off switch on the power supply ? Is it plugged into the wall ? Is the wall outlet on ? Forget the 8 pin power cable on the top of the motherboard ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the outlet you plugged it into work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Is the small PW wire connected to the motherboard the wrong way round ? Im not sure this matters, but I seem to remember I had a repair in where this was the case

Is there a light on the motherboard (assuming desktop) indicating that it has power ?
    That should at least give an indication if power is reaching the motherboard ok.

ok, lets start from the beginning

do you have power on your wall outlet? test something else using it, or if you have an extension lead plugged into it, ensure that the light comes on
    try another power cable, just in case the fuse has blown.
    if you are 100% sure that the power cable has electricity in it:
    do any lights come on? do any fans spin? is there a light on the motherboard? any beeps? if not, you likely have a dead power supply.

if so, but still nothing on screen:
    is the monitor powered on and set to recieve on the right cable connection i.e. vga/dvi/hdmi

if lights come on and you have no beeps:
    try re-seating, or swap rotating your memory modules to make sure you do not have a memory error. (edit, by swap rotate, i mean if you have 4 memory modules, take 3 out, leaving 1 in - power it up, does it work? if not, take out the single remaining memory module and try another. go through all 4 modules (if you have 4) and test them all individually - if it is a memory error, this will identify the dodgy module and allow you remove it)
    Last edited by smokii; 2013-07-05 at 11:39 AM.
    <insert witty signature here>

10+ Year Old Account
    i've figured it out, i had it in the wrong outlet on my surge protector. another question, when i booted it said to hook up psu to graphics card. i had to hook 2 pcie cables from the psu to the graphics card in order for it to work. is this normal?
    4670k @ 4.4GHz - MSI Z87 G45 - Silverstone AR03 - Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770 OC - Antec 620W High Current Gamer

16GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz - Samsung 840 250GB - 1TB WD Blue - ASUS VG248QE @ 144Hz - Fractal Design Define R4 - Windows 10 64-Bit - Logitech G-Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Roblivion View Post
    i've figured it out, i had it in the wrong outlet on my surge protector. another question, when i booted it said to hook up psu to graphics card. i had to hook 2 pcie cables from the psu to the graphics card in order for it to work. is this normal?
    Glad you worked it out. And to answer your question, yes its normal. Since a few years ago, graphics cards requires more power than a normal PCI-E express port can provide. The higher the card, the more power. Lower end cards will need one power cable, higher end cards will need 2, so its perfectly fine

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbruz View Post
    Is the small PW wire connected to the motherboard the wrong way round ? Im not sure this matters, but I seem to remember I had a repair in where this was the case
    Nah it don't matters. Only speaker/lights, but the reset/pw don't actally change something.

Quote Originally Posted by Roblivion View Post
    Yes it its ^^

Graphics cards can require a lot of power to work
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    Nah it don't matters. Only speaker/lights, but the reset/pw don't actally change something.

Yes it its ^^

Graphics cards can require a lot of power to work

thank you man! everything is running WONDERFULLY

Glad you worked it out. And to answer your question, yes its normal. Since a few years ago, graphics cards requires more power than a normal PCI-E express port can provide. The higher the card, the more power. Lower end cards will need one power cable, higher end cards will need 2, so its perfectly fine
    The PCI-E interface on the motherboard can only provide upto I think 75w.
    Few dedicated cards have a draw that low any more, and many have one several times that.
    Hence the need for supplementary power, which I think is another 75w per 6-pin cable.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The PCI-E interface on the motherboard can only provide upto I think 75w.
    Few dedicated cards have a draw that low any more, and many have one several times that.
    Hence the need for supplementary power, which I think is another 75w per 6-pin cable.
    Why did you quote me ? I wasnt asking the power question, I was answering it

Why did you quote me ? I wasnt asking the power question, I was answering it
    Your answer was a good reply to start from, since it answered the question pretty well.
    Though I do tend to have a habit of taking a short answer and turning it into a small novel.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Your answer was a good reply to start from, since it answered the question pretty well.
    Though I do tend to have a habit of taking a short answer and turning it into a small novel.
    Hehe, fair enough mate. I was just wondering. I do the same thing myself sometimes