Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Exclamation Need travel access point

I'm looking for a travel access point, but apparantly, it's not as easy as it seems..

Knockout demands:
    - Can be bought in EU webshop (or physical store in Denmark)
    - Max 50 Euro

Top prio:
    - Small, as in the size of a cigarette pack
    - Fully configurable network name and password
    - Support DHCP

Medium prio:
    - Both 110v and 220v support
    - Internal antenna

Low prio:
    - WiFi range.. 2-3 meters is more than enough.
    - Possibility to add SIM-card
    - Router functionalities

Can anyone recommend something?
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    A phone?
    /10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    A phone?
    /10char
    Serious suggestions please.. Please tell me, where you attach the LAN cable to a phone..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

Deleted
    You never stated what kind of access point really, no need to blame me for that.

I mentioned a phone, because from what you're asking in the first post, a phone with tehering enabled would fit all of your demands.

Sorry bro, just trying to help here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    You never stated what kind of access point really, no need to blame me for that.

I mentioned a phone, because from what you're asking in the first post, a phone with tehering enabled would fit all of your demands.

Sorry bro, just trying to help here.
    An access point is a bridge between cable and WiFi.. Always was, always will be...
    Travel access points is the same, only smaller, less powerfull, thus perfect for travel.

If you could attach a LAN cable to a phone, you wouldn't need the access pont, would you?

Maybe drop the attitude, and Im sure people will try to help you out

Deleted
    That's why people have data plans on their phones.

Creating an access point out of your phone is perfectly fine, and is by no means limited to cable.

But hey, I'm sure you'll get your problem solved, great attitude.

Why the demand for a LAN cable connection? As others have said, a tethered phone works perfectly fine. Tethered speeds with phones are great nowadays.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to take a shops local wifi access, and then create your own, personal wifi network using that?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Why the demand for a LAN cable connection? As others have said, a tethered phone works perfectly fine. Tethered speeds with phones are great nowadays.
    Because hotels still think RJ45 jacks is pro, for offering internet in your room.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I'm a bit confused as to what you're trying to accomplish. Are you trying to take a shops local wifi access, and then create your own, personal wifi network using that?
    He's looking for a small wifi router, he requires LAN input.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Because hotels still think RJ45 jacks is pro, for offering internet in your room.
    I'd rather have jacks than WiFi tbh.

I'm using my Phone tethered to my Laptop.

Phone has a 16/5 connection that costs me about 17.95€/month, my home internet(10/0.7) costs 29.95€/month, which is a bit weird.

Regardless of what you get, wireless will still suck in some areas, mostly when on the road and 50-100km away from a city, I get maybe 2/3 bars(4 max) and speeds are like 2-5 download.

Deleted
    Max - 50 Euro ....

when you find a mobile phone which can be tethered for a maximum of 50 euro, can you provide details. I would be interested in that myself.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    Max - 50 Euro ....

when you find a mobile phone which can be tethered for a maximum of 50 euro, can you provide details. I would be interested in that myself.
    Assuming you already own a phone.
    Hey, what else is he going to use his access point for

Why dont you just buy a small cheap normal wifi router ? You can get one for under 50 euros easy. If all you want is to have wifi from the hotels RJ45 jack, I see that as the best and cheapest option

There: http://www.proshop.dk/Netvaerk-route...N-2372060.html 25 euros. Sorted
    Last edited by Lilbruz; 2013-07-05 at 02:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    List some EU webshops and I can probably find some. Any router under 50 euro fulfills most demands.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilbruz View Post
    Why dont you just buy a small cheap normal wifi router ? You can get one for under 50 euros easy. If all you want is to have wifi from the hotels RJ45 jack, I see that as the best and cheapest option

There: http://www.proshop.dk/Netvaerk-route...N-2372060.html 25 euros. Sorted
    We're getting somewhere, but still more than twice the size I want :-/
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    List some EU webshops and I can probably find some. Any router under 50 euro fulfills most demands.
    The problem is, routers tend to be too big to be convienient for travel.. The more features, the bigger the size. And since I don't need any router functions, it will most likely be wasted space.

I assume you mean you want a wireless router and not just an access point. Nonetheless, while I don't have any experience with this device I did find it may be of use to you.

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_det...=157&pd_id=372

It appears to be a router and access point should you need to configure it either way. They don't specifically say they support both 110V and 220V but I haven't seen a piece of consumer network equipment that didn't accept both. You may have to use a power socket adapter for each country you are going to. You could also just find a compatible power supply that will output the required power to the device (they list it needing DC 5v/1a tho they don't list the plug style).

They don't have any local shops listed in Denmark but they do list a few European sites that sell it.

It does NOT accept a SIM card. I have yet to see a single device the does both. You might be able to use something like a Huawei E173 or Novatel MC545 with a Cradle Point device though this would not be as small as you want. Since you didn't tell us the countries you are going to it is hard to suggest a solution as different countries use different frequencies for their mobile networks. Maybe someone else knows something I don't.

We're getting somewhere, but still more than twice the size I want :-/
    The problem is, routers tend to be too big to be convienient for travel.. The more features, the bigger the size. And since I don't need any router functions, it will most likely be wasted space.
    Well, i doubt you will get anything smaller than the one I linked. Certainly not twice as small. I dont even think they make them that small, and the smaller things are, the more expensive they tend to get. If you cant fit the one I linked into your suitcase, you might need to upgrade that too.

EDIT: Ok, here it is. You WILL NOT get it smaller than this: http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/9...aign=EDBpriser
    Last edited by Lilbruz; 2013-07-05 at 02:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    -_-

I asked for a place to find one for you. Instead of complaining that 'most are too big', why not answer my question so I can try and help :P