Melee Disconnects

I keep seeing people say have decent ranged skills for melee disconnects in raid, what does this refer to, it never goes into details.

Is it a point in a fight where you'll get disconnected due to bugs?

or (the one i'm guessing it is)

The part in a boss fight where melee have to move out of melee range for certain mechancs (such as aoe that is close to the boss, or boss flies into the sky).

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Solidito; 2013-07-05 at 03:48 PM.

It is the second one, quite a few fights have mechanics where you can't be in melee range of the boss 24/7, So most of the viable raiding specs have a handful of semi decent abilities to cast when your out of range of the boss, If your looking for advice on a spec for a certain class feel free to post what class you are and I'm sure we can do our best to point you in the right direction
    My Youtube Channel for RIFT Guides/Endgame Gameplay - http://www.youtube.com/user/Seatinmanoflegends

The second one as Seatin said.

There are ways to combat the disconnect- such as having a ranged spec equipped. But without at least some decent investment in those souls, melee at range often have a big dps loss overall.

In short: Tempest is sorta terrible.

The very reason disconnects happen a lot is why nightblade/assassin or just 61nightblade are superior melee specs to other rogue melee specs like 61assassin or 61bladedancer which are both very situational.

Ok thanks, i don't actually play melee i was just asking for a friends sake. And yeah i understand what it is now, just never seen it called that beforee, thanks for the help!