10+ Year Old Account

Building a PC for a friend, but I've been out of the tech loop for about a year!

I've built quite a few PC's in the past (and work in IT), so I still have good knowledge of building, but I've been so busy that I haven't kept up with the new tech/components for the past year or so. A friend contracted me to build her a PC, so I've tweaked one of Marest's sample builds. Her budget is around $1500. I'm just looking for some feedback/to make sure everything's compatible before I go ahead and commit to these parts.

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V LK

CPU -Intel Core i5-3570K

RAM - CORSAIR XMS3 8GB

GPU - ASUS HD7970

SSD - Crucial M4 128GB

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB

PSU - Corsair TX650M

Case - NZXT H2

Heatsink - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Thanks in advance!

Overall, the listed build is pretty good but there are some areas that can be tweaked to optimize the budget.

If spending $75 for 2x4GB of RAM, I suggest getting fancy light up RAM $80 with higher specs (C8 instead of C11). Video demonstration. Light up RAM is best used with a windowed case though. Otherwise, Patriot 2x4GB $60 1600Mhz C9 1.5V is a more cost effective choice.

At $400 the GPU selection should be either the 770 or the 7970 Ghz, not the 7970 non-Ghz (770 is the better choice here).

Crucial M4 is on the expensive side for its performance. At $130, the primary contenders are enthusiast class SSDs: Samsung 840 Pro, OCZ Vector, Corsair Neutron GTX, Plextor M5P Xtreme. Mainstream SSDs ($90-110) include: Samsung 840, Corsair Neutron, Plextor M5S, and Kingston SSDNow V300. 250-256 GB mainstream SSDs are available for about $40 more (eg. Samsung 840).

A Caviar Black is unnecessary when there is a SSD in the mix. A Caviar Blue $60-70 is more cost effective.

The PSU linked is not modular but TX650M is listed.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-07-05 at 06:34 PM.