Virtual Realms: Bye Server Transfer $$$, Hello Itemshop $$$ !

I guess we all should've seen it coming, when they promised Virtual realms in 5.4 they basically were cutting off one of their main sources of revenue, character transfer services. So now they'll have to add something else in it's place to make equal revenue. It'll start with an itemshop for 100% XP boost items, but if that isn't selling enough they'll probably start adding more convincing and essential items.

In other words, the underpopulated realm solution = Blizzard going to find other ways to make money = You're fucked. Everyone who doesn't want to feel subpar when leveling a (new) alt is going to want to spend $5-10 (whatever they'll price it) on the XP boost. Then at max level I bet they'll start adding 100% rep boosts ("hello competitive raiders, would you like to buy faster rep vendor access and gearing?"). And if that isn't enough... then they'll start adding more...
    Last edited by Anarch the Subduer; 2013-07-05 at 07:28 PM.

Yeah don't you just hate it when businesses try to make money?
    Video Game Blog - Now with 100% less World of Warcraft!

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    I hate it when Monsanto does...
    Every man is born as many men and dies as a single one

-Martin Heidegger

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    I'm quite sure many smart customers do, because sometimes it leads to obscene situations and a lower quality of the products they used to love. Many things can and often go wrong when companies try to find new ways of making money. I think this might just be one of those slip-ups. Expect many "Itemshop QQ"-threads to repeat itself on these forums for the next few years...

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Expect many "Itemshop QQ"-threads to repeat itself on these forums for the next few years...
    I'll put them with the "wow is dying" and the old "pet shop will lead to buying gear" threads
    "The fact that you don't get it or like it is fine. The fact that you wanna ruin it for everyone else - that's why you're a cocksucker." - Bill Hicks
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    The playerbase has been desiring this for years and when it's finally here, everyone wants to grab a pitchfork. Ridiculous. This community is disgustingly toxic.

it leads to obscene situations and a lower quality of the products they used to love.
    And you have what reasons to suspect that will happen?

Quote Originally Posted by HammondQ View Post
    I hate it when Monsanto does...
    You can say what you want about Monsanto, they're great businesspeople. I do agree with you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    You find that having to buy a 100% XP boost (or later on rep boosts and who else knows what) to be as efficient as possible at the game an improvement of your enjoyment of the game? Odd fellow, you. Feel free to explain how an itemshop is going to improve the quality of your game though!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    If it gets the company to make more money, why would they care? It's a company after all, not a charity organisation.

People starting threads to bitch about shit that isn't even a thing
    /sad
    "If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light"
    they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."

Good job jumping to conclusions over one fucking datamined item. Tell me, where are the 3rd specs we saw datamined before?

Guess some people are sooooo freaking naive. Blizz might add this to the chinese servers NOT EU/US you have no proof or whatsoever....
    Our greatest influences will always define us.

No item shop will start with one item. The one item datamined is only a test item. If there will be item shop, it will have at least 10-20 items when it goes live. Probably more like 50.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

I guess we all should've seen it coming, when they promised Virtual realms in 5.4 they basically were cutting off one of their main sources of revenue, character transfer services. So now they'll have to add something else in it's place to make equal revenue. It'll start with an itemshop for 100% XP boost items, but if that isn't selling enough they'll probably start adding more convincing and essential items.

In other words, the underpopulated realm solution = Blizzard going to find other ways to make money = You're fucked. Everyone who doesn't want to feel subpar when leveling a (new) alt is going to want to spend $5-10 (whatever they'll price it) on the XP boost. Then at max level I bet they'll start adding 100% rep boosts ("hello competitive raiders, would you like to buy faster rep vendor access and gearing?"). And if that isn't enough... then they'll start adding more...
    this is the dumbest argument i've seen all day. we're getting fucked because we can finally not have to worry about transferring realms?

you know what affected me most? dead realms
    you know what doesn't affect me? exp boosts

i'll trade that any day. also once again another thread rife with slipper slope analogies saying that now they're going to add heroic gear into the cash shop and now you're saying they're going to add day1 pay2win rep boosters?

this is why nobody should take the WoW community seriously

God i love jumping to conclusions, its fucking awesome!