Deleted

Isn't haswell supposed to run hot? Are my sensors lying

So yeah successfull build in my sig.
    Running 4670k at 4.4ghz with a kuhler h20 620 v4 with stock cooler

during BF3 im only getting a max of 59*C ..
    Some cores rapidly jump to 63 for a second but then show as 58 again

idle= 30-38*C

measured via coretemp and hwmonitor. Hwmonitor reading motherboards own cpu sensor as the same temps.

Wasnt this supposed to run much hotter than ib and sb?

edit: oh and 10 runs of LinX gave me something like 60-70
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2013-07-05 at 07:38 PM.

I was under the impression that it was the other way around because the new intel CPU's where smaller and need less power. And since they require less power they also produce less heath.

I could be wrong ofc

Deleted
    try using a benchmark that will actually stress test your cpu.
    prime95 or linx should give you more accurate/higher temps.
    as for software i usually trust realtemp more.

Deleted

73*C on 2nd core.

Not going to do anything as demanding ax Linx though. Even rendering doesn't heat up my CPU like that

edit: Cpu was at 4.4 but already downclocked in the SS

Deleted
    try running prime95 overnight to be sure on highest temps.
    i think testing is also a bit on the short side time wise and you'll know stability aswell for the oc.

Deleted
    Yeah well, I dont think i need to personally. as long as it stays cool with normal use. Different story if i was trying to find the OC sweet spot for this particular cpu.
    Just upped the multiplier to 44 with XMP on and ready to go. Much faster than my 4ghz Phenom even at stock anyway

Heres another test. Sensor test this time. Used prime 95

Deleted
    Haswell only really gets very hot once you start having to put more than about 1.25v through it. If you can keep the voltage low you are never really going to run into the dreaded temp issues when stress testing.
    Personally speaking my 4770k does 4.6 @ 1.225v and 4 hours of aida64 averages at 59c with a max ~73c using a h100i.

You are using windows 7 and make sure that you have it updated with AVX instruction set available in SP1.
    This alone raises your temps with quite alot (10-15C) :P.
    Last edited by Confined; 2013-07-06 at 12:08 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rning/advanced
    i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz - R9-280X @ 1150Mhz on stock voltage - 8GB of DDR3 Ram @ 1866Mhz

Quote Originally Posted by Reguilea View Post
    Wasnt this supposed to run much hotter than ib and sb?
    Quite. However, you make no mention of what sort of voltage you're running, which is kind of a big deal in figuring out if you're just lucky or if something's up.

Deleted
    Well. As i implied im just using most settings on auto with XMP. Just upped multiplier to 44 to see if i'm lucky.

So on auto the voltage is going from 0.9 to 1.248 at the moment with only Waterfox open.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is sort of one of the issues with Haswell, if all those things are accurate (since the screenshots are all bits of information with no confirmation)

You might just well have a great bin, and those results are simply not indicative of the average.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Haswell from what I've seen starts to get hot around 1.3v or above usually. Those GFlops are quite low though to be using AVX.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    I was under the impression that it was the other way around because the new intel CPU's where smaller and need less power. And since they require less power they also produce less heath.

I could be wrong ofc
    While yes less power actually means less overall heat production, but not top end temperature nor are temps linear generation to generation. A smaller more efficient chip actually cannot handle as much heat as a larger inefficient chip, there for they become hotter @ lower volts, or "hot" in terms of their physical capabilities. Not necessarily hotter than your old chip.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    While yes less power actually means less overall heat production, but not top end temperature nor are temps linear generation to generation. A smaller more efficient chip actually cannot handle as much heat as a larger inefficient chip, there for they become hotter @ lower volts, or "hot" in terms of their physical capabilities. Not necessarily hotter than your old chip.
    Just to add to this also.. Haswell has a larger die size than Ivybridge at 177mm^2 up from 160mm^2 on Ivybridge.

thats the wrong linx version, for haswell you need the AVX version, it will almost double your gflops, but also generate alot more heat. My 4670K at 4.6 does around 80c under Linx AVX or Prime 95 AVX. But during gaming it stays in the 50-55c range (cooled with a H100i).

Deleted
    Yeah. Got over 106 gflops now.

Also got temperatures..... one core at 92*C. Others at 80-88
    And its weird how it changes so rapidly. When the test was done it only took 5 seconds to go back to 40.

My 4670K at 4.6 does around 80c under Linx AVX or Prime 95 AVX. But during gaming it stays in the 50-55c range (cooled with a H100i).
    Also only getting 45-50 during WoW. A little more in BF3 to be honest.

Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2013-07-08 at 09:20 PM.