Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Here's the point, Grimwhored, Nemro, Melo:

There is no limit in 3d design, Whatsoever. I know this personally because I worked with 3ds max for years making models for a pleasant little FPS called Stalker. To say "Of the 300 sets in this game you can't expect a few to not look a like" is just bullshit. BUT this thread isn't only about the models, but as many others in here have stated (idk if you guys can read or not, I'd sure hope so) it's also about the fact that armor types have actually lost the types, it's been that way for awhile. So please, A. READ the thread, B. eat a Snickers, or C. get some Pussy so you don't end up coming off as being rude n shit.

Heenk: It's not anime, it's from a comic called Living with Hipster girl and Gamer girl: http://jagodibuja.com/living-with-hi...glish-version/

and it's not really a lecture, I'm not trying to persuade anyone because I dont care if anyone likes the sets or not. Simply stating the obvious
    Last edited by Tripz; 2013-07-06 at 06:11 PM.
    Why are you still playing wow? Just stop

the armor design used to include vibrant colors and features that represented the class. we know they can still create new and interesting designs, just look at the challenge mode sets. my opinion is that the really unique sets are the ones that will be given the most attention, for example the challenge mode sets - things that are hard to get. the tier sets are damned to be mediocre as long as LFR exists, because blizzard wants you to stand out if youre good at the game - and everyone can afk through lfr and get the next tier set so theres little priority in making it look that much cooler.

in short - blizzard wont make armor sets look cool if everyone has extremely easy access to them, it defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripz View Post
    Here's the point, Grimwhored
    Wow, what a creative genius! No wonder you can't be satisfied with tier models!

A. READ the thread, B. eat a Snickers, or C. get some Pussy so you don't end up coming off as being rude n shit.
    Also, quite an accomplishment to have made "3ds max" for years for "stalker" since you're like 15. Good on you, brother. lol
    Fallout 4 Hype!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodclot View Post
    Were you modeling the designs given to you by the concept team, or were you making them from scratch?
    Scratch, worked with Holden of L.U.R.K. a little bit, but mainly bouncing around teams on small stuff. I also did texturing

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Wow, what a creative genius! No wonder you can't be satisfied with tier models!
    Why, thank you for noticing

Quote Originally Posted by Grimord View Post
    Also, quite an accomplishment to have made "3ds max" for years for "stalker" since you're like 15. Good on you, brother. lol
    22, and you don't make 3ds max, it's a program.

3ds max: http://www.autodesk.com/products/aut...s-max/overview

Stalker: http://www.stalker-game.com/
    Last edited by Tripz; 2013-07-06 at 06:26 PM.

Herald of the Titans chrisisvacant's Avatar
    Scratch, worked with Holden of L.U.R.K. a little bit, but mainly bouncing around teams on small stuff. I also did texturing

Why, thank you for noticing

22, and you don't make 3ds max, it's a program.

3ds max: http://www.autodesk.com/products/aut...s-max/overview

Stalker: http://www.stalker-game.com/
    So you interned for a while. Awesome. You're 22, though. Nothing you've done aside from, well, K-12 can really be described by saying "years."

I just don't understand this tier's theme.

Is it Org? Are we just putting parts of Org on ourselves?

Quote Originally Posted by bloodclot View Post
    Surely you understand how difficult it is for them to design anything anymore?

If they followed what any of the morons in this thread wanted theyd be out of designs in two tiers. Okay I'll give an example.

Round here I see people link what sets theyd like for class x alot. Lets say rogues. Everyone wants something ninja like or some contrived simple shit.
    If you use that even once you are probably straying into territory another company has done, and afterwards are already re using shit you've done.

Now I'm not denying they re use stuff, but what is most important in a low poly game with a high view point is the silhouette of a design, at least imo.

I think you can also easily see over the years that the standard of art at blizz has increased, as has the industry in general.

You obviously have a right to an opinion that the sets have deteriorated over the years, but I would say the upward trend in industry standards
    says otherwise.

I will say the Mage tier is fucking awful.
    First off, thank you very much for being civil! it is appreciated since a lot of people just want to be rude and, its not necessary

Yeah Blizz has definitely stepped up their game since Vanilla, not just with the sets but in all aspects of the game. And yeah people are going to want to see what They think a classes set should look like. But what I was thinking is taking a few aspects of what makes each class unique, and applying that to the set.

For example, I would cry tears of joy if we got a rogue set that had vials of poison on the belt. That simple little thing itself defines the class you know? And there are literally dozens of little nuances like that for each class which could be used to make unique sets each tier or season. Another example, how about a hunter set with a Quiver on the back of the chest piece? That would be pretty epic, or even have some traps hanging off of a little back pack, they could use more furs for hunter sets too being, a hunter lol

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    So you interned for a while. Awesome. You're 22, though. Nothing you've done aside from, well, K-12 can really be described by saying "years."
    I did it in my spare time for free, idk it was a fun hobby while it lasted. Considering 18-22 is 5 years, and I started doing the modeling thing when I was 15 and stopped 3 years ago, it may not be decades but it's a damn long time
    Last edited by Tripz; 2013-07-06 at 06:48 PM.

Here's the point, Grimwhored, Nemro, Melo:

There is no limit in 3d design, Whatsoever. I know this personally because I worked with 3ds max for years making models for a pleasant little FPS called Stalker. To say "Of the 300 sets in this game you can't expect a few to not look a like" is just bullshit. BUT this thread isn't only about the models, but as many others in here have stated (idk if you guys can read or not, I'd sure hope so) it's also about the fact that armor types have actually lost the types, it's been that way for awhile. So please, A. READ the thread, B. eat a Snickers, or C. get some Pussy so you don't end up coming off as being rude n shit.

Heenk: It's not anime, it's from a comic called Living with Hipster girl and Gamer girl: http://jagodibuja.com/living-with-hi...glish-version/

and it's not really a lecture, I'm not trying to persuade anyone because I dont care if anyone likes the sets or not. Simply stating the obvious
    I realize there's no limits in 3d design. There are limits in what's going to look relevant for the subject matter at hand however. A helm in the shape of a steering wheel isn't going to be very well received.

And you'd do well to take your own advice.
    And it's squeezing all the air out of this goddamn cave I live in.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner_recall View Post
    I just don't understand this tier's theme.

Is it Org? Are we just putting parts of Org on ourselves?
    There doesn't seem to be a unifying theme to the armors. The Hunter, Warrior, and DK sets all seem to be "Titan construct" themed. Druid set seems Troll-centric, which is odd because Trolls are so last tier. Mages get Mogu-flavored Timelord Regalia, kind of an odd choice for a rehash. All in all it just looks like the artists got some new toy to play with in an additonal texture layer, so they're making a bunch of sets that use strobing glowies in the most obtuse possible ways to show it off.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I realize there's no limits in 3d design. There are limits in what's going to look relevant for the subject matter at hand however. A helm in the shape of a steering wheel isn't going to be very well received.

And you'd do well to take your own advice.
    Yeah you're right, I did stoop cause I got offended which is kinda shitty of me. Apologies where needed. And yeah a steering wheel on ones head would do little to protect from the sun, let alone swinging weapons, that's a bit outlandish of an example though.

First off, thank you very much for being civil! it is appreciated since a lot of people just want to be rude and, its not necessary
    You were the one acting like a spoiled child throwing fit as soon as people started disagreeing with you. Grow up and stop making shit up to try and justify your "logic".
    Fallout 4 Hype!

Yeah you're right, I did stoop cause I got offended which is kinda shitty of me. Apologies where needed. And yeah a steering wheel on ones head would do little to protect from the sun, let alone swinging weapons, that's a bit outlandish of an example though.
    It's all good

Off topic, but why did you stop doing modelling?
    And it's squeezing all the air out of this goddamn cave I live in.

Am I the only one who seemed to like Cataclysm art the most? I think Priest tier 13 is probably one of the best armor sets in the game, not to Mention Druid tier 12, Paladin season 11 along with Paladin Tier 13 and Death Knights tier 12. Whatever, we all have our own opinions!
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

Art may be subjective but when the majority despise particular pieces then maybe, just maybe they're onto something.

I did it in my spare time for free, idk it was a fun hobby while it lasted. Considering 18-22 is 5 years, and I started doing the modeling thing when I was 15 and stopped 3 years ago, it may not be decades but it's a damn long time
    In a place of purely subjective opinions, your credentials (whatever they may be) fall to the wayside because any asshole can say they are Super Asshole, King of all the Assholes, and there's no incentive to prove the guy wrong. Not saying you don't know what you are talking about - but your attempts at getting on the level with these people you suggest are being "rude and shit" is ineffective. Besides, who gives a shit what people on MMO-Champion say/what opinions they hold. Thankfully, their feedback isn't a deciding factor in WoW's aesthetic.

Personally, I think the sets have gotten better each expansion. This expansion definitely has a strong Asian theme and a secondary militaristic theme going on too. I think they happen to compliment each other. One thing I've learned from playing WoW since Vanilla is that there will be an equal handful of people who don't like the art as well as a handful who do. In fact, I'm almost certain the handful who do like it might even be bigger (but we're not supposed to say that lest the crybabies squawk even louder).

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    Art may be subjective but when the majority despise particular pieces then maybe, just maybe they're onto something.
    Guess what, babe? This majority you mention doesn't exist. I'm aware that it's hard to climb out from within the 4 walls of your own skull, but try it sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Sure it proves something: that some people like the tier sets, and some people don't, and that a whole lot of people don't really understand that disliking a piece of art doesn't mean everybody dislikes it.
    You're essentially saying that anyone can create any sort of pos, and if it gets enough attention and a minority thinks it looks good - it's art, and it does? "Don't like it? It's subjective".

Like previously mentioned: Some things are just plain shit, objectively. Not everything's up to preference, so stop using that bs argument.

The same thing could be said about current popular music spouting on every radio channel. It's not good "music", at all, in any way, yet people claim it to be.

Sometimes shit's just shit, and that's it.
    Yes, we are an ape with a symbiotic relationship to a mushroom.

Quote Originally Posted by zanexlol View Post
    You're essentially saying that anyone can create any sort of pos, and if it gets enough attention and a minority thinks it looks good - it's art, and it does? "Don't like it? It's subjective".

Like previously mentioned: Some things are just plain shit, objectively. Not everything's up to preference, so stop using that bs argument.

The same thing could be said about current popular music spouting on every radio channel. It's not good "music", at all, in any way, yet people claim it to be.

Sometime's shit's just shit, and that's it.
    Explain where you come up with this minority concept. Where's the study? Where's the poll? Who the fuck made you omniscient? Stop talking out of your ass about something you have no control over and no evidence to back up your BS claims. :>

Different things float different peoples boats, I personally haven't liked most sets in many years, t-mog is there for a reason and to some a god send.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

My big issue is the fact that they seem to have forgotten some sets.

For instance, did they really take the S14 paladin set and cut the helmet in half to make T16 rogue? Because they're pretty much the same set.

Also, was T16 warrior originally a Paladin or Druid set? Because it sure as hell wasn't a warrior set. Purple warrior sets make sense.