Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

The art team and 5.4's sets

What the hell happened? Most of these sets seem to be rehashes, maybe 1 or 2 are attractive (looking at warlock pvp set) but most of them are fucking redonculous and ugly with glowy crap and general grossness.

My question is, what the fuck happened? Our sets used to be unique, gorgeous, and related to the armor type, but even the druid tier set looks like Plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripz View Post
    What the hell happened? Most of these sets seem to be rehashes, maybe 1 or 2 are attractive (looking at warlock pvp set) but most of them are fucking redonculous and ugly with glowy crap and general grossness.

My question is, what the fuck happened? Our sets used to be unique, gorgeous, and related to the armor type, but even the druid tier set looks like Plate.
    I agree 100% with this opinion. I agree with it because its the only CORRECT opinion to be seen in this thread (including the replies after mine). For reference: take a look at the warlock tier 1 or 2 sets, then compare to the paladin tier 1 or 2 sets. The warlock is clearly in cloth, demonic style armoring, while the paladin is wearing clearly plate looking holy armor.

Honestly, as an 8 year veteran, i'm disgusted with these sets. Blizzard should be ashamed.

Different strokes. So far I like all the tier sets except the rogue one.

I'm just amused that every patch there's someone complaining about armor like it's a new thing and hasn't happened with every tier.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Different strokes. So far I like all the tier sets except the rogue one.

I'm just amused that every patch there's someone complaining about armor like it's a new thing and hasn't happened with every tier.
    I think Blizzard goes out of their way to make every rogue set ugly

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, the quality of armour sets haven't been great these past few expansions, but for MoP, it's been particularly horrendous. It seems to me like the art team is trying to adopt an asian style, which to me doesn't fit with WoW all that well. Or maybe they're just not getting the hang of it... Also, why so much turquoise?! I get that jade is often related to asian lore, but still...

Art is subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    The new PvP sets are doable, but PvE sets truely suck. Rogue, Hunter, DK and Druid sets are horrifying and the worst part is that they all look alike in some ways... as you stated earlier OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Art is subjective.
    Agreed. The death knight, mage, and paladin sets are awesome, and the priest S14 set is just fucking sick, but the rest I'm pretty ambivalent about. I don't necessarily think any of them are bad, per se, but none of them really grabbed me.

I am really liking all the sets so far. That paladins tier is gorgeous.

These look a lot like a new expansion's "dungeon set 1."

Quote Originally Posted by hitandruntactic View Post
    "how much raid content do you want to sacrifice for having tier that doesn't look like shit" -devs
    I'll say it again.

Art.

Is.

Subjective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I think part of the problem is when WOW was young and new, they already got a lot of the sort of iconic looks for each class done. Warlocks for example already have several sets that make them look like demons and some even have wings attached, so unless you keep spitting out more sets that look like demons (which people would complain about), the only way to avoid it is to try to do something "new" for it that doesn't match your expectations for what it should look like.

Paladins are especially bad about this, as it seems every new paladin tier I see it's like "what the hell is this?".

But what can you do? You gotta create new sets that try to look like they belong on the class but also try to not look like something they've done before and also try to look cool.

Frankly i've always been a fan of more "simple" sets that don't have the giant, goofy shoulders or fancy glow effects or whatever. The assassination set and valorous bonescythe are my 2 favorite sets in the game for rogues, and I really really wish monks could wear valorous bonescythe because it looks amazing.

I haven't seen any sets recently that i've seen and just said "wow that looks awesome". The most depressing part of the whole thing is that the monk tiers in MOP look like crap, but unlike other classes they don't have previous expansions worth of tier alternatives to fall back on for looking good. So you're very limited in what you can do.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    played this game since early Tbc and I think most of SoO / new season sets look amazing , comparable to t2 / t6, but hey , personal taste is personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I'll say it again.

Art.

Is.

Subjective.
    Inspiration, on the other hand, can be observed and admired. These sets clearly lack that feat.

10+ Year Old Account
    The pve sets I like are mage(just wish that the goggles would go.) dk, pally, and druid pve. Pvp sets I liked are almost all of them excluding the mage and druid. I think its a good tier.

Quote Originally Posted by hitandruntactic View Post
    it certainly is. but when your audience would rather transmog it to something else instead of use it for transmog, what does that mean to the artist?
    Speak for yourself?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    I really really wish monks could wear valorous bonescythe because it looks amazing.
    Pretty sure there's a non set recolor of Bonescythe that monks can wear. You should check out WoWhead's transmog guides to find what you aer looking for.
    BAD WOLF

Blizzard needs to fire a couple artists period. Their style changed in wrath and has remained the same ever since with shoulders and belts getting bigger, and metal plates being plastered over absolutely everything. Brown also seems to be their favorite color.

Fire the talentless "artists", it's time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
    Frankly i've always been a fan of more "simple" sets that don't have the giant, goofy shoulders or fancy glow effects or whatever. The assassination set and valorous bonescythe are my 2 favorite sets in the game for rogues, and I really really wish monks could wear valorous bonescythe because it looks amazing.

I haven't seen any sets recently that i've seen and just said "wow that looks awesome". The most depressing part of the whole thing is that the monk tiers in MOP look like crap, but unlike other classes they don't have previous expansions worth of tier alternatives to fall back on for looking good. So you're very limited in what you can do.
    I'm a fan of simplicity too..
    And I agree with what others said. Taste cannot be argued. It's personal taste, there's no right or wrong..
    As for myself, I dislike how for years now basically every toon looks like a grey mass from a little bit of distance. I'd appreciate more colors. Doesn't mean one has to look like a circus clown. But certainly there's too much emphasis on earth and grey tones, imo. For looks of monks. Well... you can always resort to the non-tier sets. There's very nice looking stuff that matches just perfect.
    The tier sets are imo overused anyway.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Inspiration, on the other hand, can be observed and admired. These sets clearly lack that feat.
    Yeah, I would like to trade whomever is doing the PvP sets, with whomever is doing the PvE sets this x pack.

I literally picked up PvP and grinded so far 18000 conquest, because that warlock set this season is the sexiest set I have seen in a long time.

Also.. the pvp sets are so much more glowy.. using that new glowing thing that seems to fade in and out.. but that tech is only used on two pve sets? why is?
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.