Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Seperating western europe servers

Hey guys,

often I encounter mostly french and spanish speaking players who are unwilling to communicate in english. They often are with a friend or whatever, talking spanish or french all the time and even when asked do not talk in english. This hurts teamplay, and ruins the fun of playing a team game. So maybe it might be an idea to seperate the western european server into southern europe and northern europe.

Maybe this just comes across as ranting, but I cannot imagine I'm the only one experiencing this annoying and irritating behaviour.

Deleted
    Does everyone in "southern europe" speak the same language now?

Deleted
    They probably say the same thing about you and others always writing english

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    English is the internet language. No matter what anyone says it's the common interface for everyone on international servers in games such as LoL. The "why don't you learn French instead" argument holds zero strength.

That being said, a split is more likely to happen in order to accommodate the amount of players seeing how often the EUW has various issues. >.>

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    Does everyone in "southern europe" speak the same language now?
    No, of course they don't. But since my encounters nearly always involve southern european countries, I would be relieved if they were put on the same server. And with me many others I assume.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a bad argument. The language that is spoken in the international setting is English. Everyone had English in school. It is the language of the internet. The fact that they disrespect people by speaking other languages in a team game is a bad thing. It ruins enjoyment of other players.

If everyone would speak french, and that was the international language, then me speaking english would be rude.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    English is the internet language. No matter what anyone says it's the common interface for everyone on international servers in games such as LoL. The "why don't you learn French instead" argument holds zero strength.

That being said, a split is more likely to happen in order to accommodate the amount of players seeing how often the EUW has various issues. >.>
    I agree, it is super annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post

Been searching can't find where this claim is somehow made that english is the langauge of international online games, especially in europe. Hell the game has an edition in all major language, and can't remember Riot saying their game is english as the common interface.
    Also I didn't write anything about people should learn french, just that they most likely feel the same (trying to poke at the OP for not seeing this in perspective). Which is actaully a fair point seeing as in europe german and french are actually the languages that the most people by percentage can understand and make themselves understandable. English is getting there, but not quite yet.

That being said, yes splitting it up a bit would probably be helpful. So many other games do it, and it is often german, french and spanish which covers most of europes population.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Despite View Post
    That is a bad argument. The language that is spoken in the international setting is English. Everyone had English in school. It is the language of the internet. The fact that they disrespect people by speaking other languages in a team game is a bad thing. It ruins enjoyment of other players.

If everyone would speak french, and that was the international language, then me speaking english would be rude.
    First of it wasn't an argument, but hell I'll bite. As I already responded to one, there is no such claim as the internet is internationally english only. Just because the place you are on the internet is english only, does not exclude that other languages are dominent. Espacially here in Europe, where germans are far more dominent internet wise than the people with english as their native language.
    And no not everybody had english in school, and even the ones that did might not used in 5 years and therefor lost a big chunck of the vocabulary and grammatics, hence making communication hard if not almost impossible. And if you find it offensive that people write their native language in chat and it isn't targeted at you or actually part of the game, then I can't really tell you what to do. Also how on earth is it ruining your enjoyment? That other people might want to communicate, but can't do it in english, should somehow disallow them from it? So what you are saying is they shouldn't enjoy a little banter because it is disrespectful, just because it ruins your enjoyment?

Deleted
    Gods... Obviously a convention nominating English as the official internet language has never been signed and no official rule is enforced to keep internet English-only. It's also obvious that native speakers of languages other than English vastly outnumber native English speakers. If you want to go by native speakers then better learn Mandarin. -.- Do you really need someone important to state an obvious fact before you accept it?
    (Also, French was just an example... if that was not painfully obvious. You can insert any foreign language there.)

The thing is, English is used everywhere because a common language is necessary in a multinational community and it has taken this position by storm with simple structures and ease of learning. Any website that is supposed to have an international audience is created in English, all forums aimed at multiple nationalities use English as their language, English is the language of choice if you want to communicate with someone on the web but don't know their nationality. Other languages are used, of course, but only when the text is aimed at their native speakers and/or people directly interested in the language and country. You can try to go with the "Why don't you learn <<my language>> instead?" arguments all you want, but I doubt you have what it takes to convince billions using internet your idea is better than the current convention. Let me remind you, even this forum we are using right now is a brilliant example of a multinational community using the Internet's common language to bridge the gaps in communication.

So wait, if you get in que and there's 4 players in your team speaking Spanish, you're the one not communicating right?

But on the other hand, English is easy, should be known many people.

The moment someone is online and does not know English I start questioning their education.

What do they even teach in schools? Say English is not even your second language. But your third?

French is my third language and even then I would be able to communicate or at least understand it properly.

These spanish/russian players simply refuse to learn another language because they somehow think theirs is enough.

Well good for them. I know I'll keep reporting.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    if there are at least 2 people from the same non-english server, expect them to start talking in their own language in /i, even if they could /w avoiding the tremendous noise for the rest of the party

it's really irritating

Deleted
    Which is actaully a fair point seeing as in europe german and french are actually the languages that the most people by percentage can understand and make themselves understandable. English is getting there, but not quite yet.
    I wonder, don't know ANYONE who can at least read French. Even I have at least basics in 5 different languages, but I would rather uninstall LoL/burnt my computer or even commit suicide rather than learning that language.
    I don't think I'm alone here, and I believe that French is one of the most hated things on internet, just after stuff like Justin Bieber.

So I wonder, why you think that you have chance to communicate in that horrible language with anyone else than native speakers? (Who are completely absent in EUNE if that matters for some).
    Last edited by mmoc064457dc87; 2013-07-06 at 03:45 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    The moment someone is online and does not know English I start questioning their education.

What do they even teach in schools? Say English is not even your second language. But your third?

French is my third language and even then I would be able to communicate or at least understand it properly.

These spanish/russian players simply refuse to learn another language because they somehow think theirs is enough.

Well good for them. I know I'll keep reporting.
    Even though I also think it's horribly annoying if people speak a different language than English during LoL, your post just reeks of ignorance.
    Because of my work (scientist) I get to travel around to many conferences, and meet people from many countries. I've spoken to for example quite some French people about why it is that their country, on average, is so bad at English.

Many French people for example don't get a decent English education. The English teachers they have absolutely suck, and all tv-programs and books get translated into french, making it hard for them to get in contact with proper English in their daily life (outside of internet). However, these people (between 20 and 30), did add that the generation before them indeed feels no need whatsoever to learn English.

Of course, your post does apply to some people, but then again, it applies to some people in every country. I'm from the Netherlands, where the general level of English is pretty good, but there's plenty of people that don't speak a word and don't want to, so you can't generalise.

Edit: this is coming from a guy that lived in France for 6 months, and during that time lost most of his sympathy for that country and its inhabitants, so don't take it like I'm defending France here
    Last edited by mmoc933021f019; 2013-07-06 at 04:04 PM.

Deleted
    I have had this problem once in about 1700+ games.

The sheer amount of people unable or unwilling to speak English, was the main reason for me moving from EUNE to EUW, back in the day. All of my friends quickly followed.

Every now and then, I get a premade who won't speak English, but it's much, much rarer now.

Been searching can't find where this claim is somehow made that english is the langauge of international online games, especially in europe. Hell the game has an edition in all major language, and can't remember Riot saying their game is english as the common interface.
    Caine is right. English is the language of the Internet. He's already said it well and there is no need for me to repeat him.

However, let me just link this.
    Here's the line you should pay special attention to:
    English remains the lingua franca of the net, with 54.7 per cent of websites using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)

English is the world's most spoken second language.
    Chinese is the world's most spoken first language.

We either speak chinese, english, or not at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StNimrod View Post
    But on the other hand, English is easy, should be known many people.
    English is most definitely not an easy language to learn. Multiple meanings for similar words (e.g. the word "mean"), words that are pronounced the same but spelled differently with different meanings (there, their, they're. meet, meat.), and random slang that will trip up even native English speakers (might have seem me use "wicked" a lot since I'm from New England). Not to mention the grammatical inconsistencies that pop up every now and then. Usually the best way to tell who a native speaker is and someone who speaks it as a second language is the native speaker is actually grammatically worse and much less formal.

However, it is the unofficial language of the internet at this point, mostly due the American laziness and unwillingness to learn multiple languages. While many European and Asian countries will take a mandatory English class at least once, in America all our second language choices are completely optional. I personally tried to learn Latin since my original plan was to follow a career in Science, but I wish I had taken French or Mandarin (really wanted Italian but it wasn't offered).

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    English is most definitely not an easy language to learn. Multiple meanings for similar words (e.g. the word "mean"), words that are pronounced the same but spelled differently with different meanings (there, their, they're. meet, meat.), and random slang that will trip up even native English speakers (might have seem me use "wicked" a lot since I'm from New England). Not to mention the grammatical inconsistencies that pop up every now and then. Usually the best way to tell who a native speaker is and someone who speaks it as a second language is the native speaker is actually grammatically worse and much less formal.

However, it is the unofficial language of the internet at this point, mostly due the American laziness and unwillingness to learn multiple languages. While many European and Asian countries will take a mandatory English class at least once, in America all our second language choices are completely optional. I personally tried to learn Latin since my original plan was to follow a career in Science, but I wish I had taken French or Mandarin (really wanted Italian but it wasn't offered).
    Maybe English isn't "easy" to learn, but there are significantly more opportunities to use it daily than most other languages because of the internet, and using it as often as possible is by far the most important aspect of learning a language.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: sorry just woke up, delete please.
    Last edited by Tomana; 2013-07-07 at 10:23 AM.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Been searching can't find where this claim is somehow made that english is the langauge of international online games,
    English is the official international language.

It is the main reason why all pilots flying abroad must know english. You won't get your pilot license without it.

The same goes with sailors. Sailors must know english because it is the language they communicate with each other.

In any area with international communication involved, english is the default international language.

English might not be the best language in the world, but it is the de facto international language.

LOOK AT THE LANGUAGE OF THIS FORUM, FFS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, this is actually common. But if we seperated from those players, we would have even longer queues for LFR, LFD and PvP.

Think there is something about that you must speak english on english servers (atleast for general, trade, /I, /s, /y), though I don't know.

Though, I have seen worse examples. I am a little rusty on my french, but was in a group for an LFD that demanded me to speak french with the group or "shut the hell up" (they were 3 from a french server). Basicly annoyed me alot, needed the dungeon for quest and couldn't even say that to them without sounding dumb. Everytime I tried saying something, I just got a threat of being kicked. So, I just went "fuck it" and left.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..