Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why cant a healer carry a BG in WoW?

Been doing a lot of Rift and SW:ToR pvp this week and noticed something very very different compared to doing BGs in WoW. A healer can actually carry a bad team in those games and if you have 2 decent healers its basically a free win no matter how bad your team mates are. I play both factions in those games so its not just being on the OP side. I actually seem to make a difference as a healer and it feels good. When the fights are over and I have the most damage taken with only 1 death I just laugh. But when I try the same thing in WoW all I do is stay perma stunned, silenced, and top the deaths meter. I dont feel like Im contributing much at all. I dont really have many moments where I actually felt like we won because of my healing. Theres even been many times when I have beaten the other healers combined healing done and we still lose. It just doesnt feel very gratifying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    its basically a free win no matter how bad your team mates are

...There's a difference between making a difference... and being the entire deciding factor... you don't think that's extremely wrong?

Relevancy is nice, and yes actually having a healer in a WoW battleground can severely change the tides of a fight, it's just not immediately obvious. Which... personally is how it should be. You're not supposed to be highlighted as the golden god hero of the battle. You're a team. If your team fails to protect you in exchange for life, then sadly your team deserves to loose. If you want to feel more heroic I'd suggest getting into rated battleground teams...
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's more balanced. Healers do make a ton of difference though... lemme see you win AV with no healers... or WSG... or pretty much any BG and carrying shouldn't happen ever.

I feel like I carry random bgs all the time as a heals in wow.

In rift...leveling a cleric atm and I feel like I do a lot more triage healing than in wow, where I spend a lot of time bringing people back from the brink of death because health pools are so small. My toon is only level 28 though so perhaps that has something to do with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play an MW Monk > Queue up for BG > ??? > Win!

No joke, whenever I play my MW monk I'm barely ever CCed and can top off people really well aswell + I can actually do A LOT of damage as MW Monk.

I remember carrying BGs when I was resto back in TBC. I had zero deaths and all three flag caps in countless WSG matches. I'm pretty sure they specifically tried to make it so that couldn't happen... on purpose. Why should one person be able to carry an entire team? There's a difference between making a difference and carrying the team. You can make a difference in a bad team and still lose. When you cross into carrying territory, you're trying to tell me that you think it's fair to heal a team full of idiots who cannot figure out how to play their class or how the BG works and bring them from absolute failure to victory? Why should one person have so much pull in a team game?

It could also have something to do with the playerbases of the different games.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    ...There's a difference between making a difference... and being the entire deciding factor... you don't think that's extremely wrong?

Relevancy is nice, and yes actually having a healer in a WoW battleground can severely change the tides of a fight, it's just not immediately obvious. Which... personally is how it should be. You're not supposed to be highlighted as the golden god hero of the battle. You're a team. If your team fails to protect you in exchange for life, then sadly your team deserves to loose. If you want to feel more heroic I'd suggest getting into rated battleground teams...
    really could not have said that any better myself.

cept lose* :P

p.s. ya RBGs 2100+ goodluck

Why should 1 player ever be able to beat another team? I mean sure, if you are great you can make up for some bad or under-geared players, but eventually the team that works together or at least has the most competent players should be the team that wins. It sounds like you want to be put on god mode just because you chose to heal. While I do agree there is too much cc in wow, I have also seen having a healer make a huge difference as well. If you are really dying that much maybe you aren't as strong a player as you suggest, or maybe you need to focus more on wow pvp than playing Rift or Swtor. If all else fails just roll a frost mage and you will feel OP again.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I feel like I carry random bgs all the time as a heals in wow.

In rift...leveling a cleric atm and I feel like I do a lot more triage healing than in wow, where I spend a lot of time bringing people back from the brink of death because health pools are so small. My toon is only level 28 though so perhaps that has something to do with it.
    my Cleric in Rift can single handily win an entire match. Just finished a very close Codex where we won by 3 points with what seemed like the entire enemy team attacking. Blew all my cooldowns and kept 7 people alive. Also maybe its the fact that when I heal someone low on life in Rift you get a message announcing that you saved them. Maybe it seems stupid but it just feels good hearing that. Also people will say great heals all the time. In WoW its usually "omg you suck and fail at life go kill yourself".

15+ Year Old Account
    Teams with good healers can easily steamroll. You're not going to be the one getting the kills and doing "the most damage", but that's not your job. If you want that then roll the fotm DPS.

No one player should ever be able to carry a team in any game in any setting. In PvE, if a single player can carry, then the content is too easy. In PvP, it means that players class is probably OP or the opposing team is REALLY bad. But in an equal skill level it just means you're class is OP.

Interesting question. Among other things, I think WoW has more silences/stuns/cc in PVP than Rift or Swtor. Plus it can be easier to identify/target healers in WoW due to the UI and available addons.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    my Cleric in Rift can single handily win an entire match. Just finished a very close Codex where we won by 3 points with what seemed like the entire enemy team attacking. Blew all my cooldowns and kept 7 people alive. Also maybe its the fact that when I heal someone low on life in Rift you get a message announcing that you saved them. Maybe it seems stupid but it just feels good hearing that. Also people will say great heals all the time. In WoW its usually "omg you suck and fail at life go kill yourself".
    Yeah it does feel good when you get that save off People seem to appreciate you more as a healer in Rift simply because the game announces the save. I wish they had a similar system in wow.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YuneKirby View Post
    Interesting question. Among other things, I think WoW has more silences/stuns/cc in PVP than Rift or Swtor. Plus it can be easier to identify/target healers in WoW due to the UI and available addons.
    In Rift you get this big healer symbol over your head as a heals, idk if SWTOR has a system that identifies healers.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the fact that you can admittedly singlehandedly carry a terrible PVP team to victory in those other MMOs speaks more to overall poor PVP balance and/or target prioritization than to your skills as a healer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know why there are bg roles now? Because people complained about the healers in bgs. The more you know :P

It's a bit of an art in random BG's where you can't expect help. You need to be aware of where the opponents are and keep your distance - preferably with teammates between you and them. When you see people closing you need to stun / root / fear / shock them away to reposition. That an cast on the move. do this and you can make quite a difference. If not you will end up eating stun sandwitches for the duration and visit the gy frequently.

used to be possible with bgs.. holy pallys disc priests resto shamans/druids could just laugh away all the dmg taken on them with no problems.. things are a bit diff now.

Good dps can carry a game more than a good healer can now imo. A good healer can carry an average group to a win, but they still need at least average dps. Ive seen far too often a team with 2-3 good healers lose the game because their dps cant kill anything. If your a really good and geared dps that plays an op BG class, say destro lock, you can carry a decent team by just cc/globaling everything. Its funny watching my UH dk quadruple the 2nd place on the dmg list and have half the bgs killing blows. Then I switch to my disc and get frustrated as hell because no one around me is dying on either team.

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    Because it's more balanced. Healers do make a ton of difference though... lemme see you win AV with no healers... or WSG... or pretty much any BG and carrying shouldn't happen ever.
    I have won wsg as 10 dps. You just have to focus fire crap hard and cross cc. I don't play av so I have no clue.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

Because WoW is more balanced.

Which is kind of funny, because that must mean those games have atrocious balance.