Page 1 of 2
LastLast

My Spriest DPS is just awful

I almost switched from shadowpriest to lock (my lock was my main in Wrath) at the start of this tier and now I'm wondering why I didn't. Even with the upcoming nerfbat to Warlocks I'm wondering WHY I didn't switch. Really I'm just super frustrated. In Cata I was never the bottom dps and now I'm always 4th or 5th. This has been an ongoing thing since last tier. Yes, I know shadow isn't as strong now but I'm really just amazed at how crap my dps is. I know my gear isn't optimal, but I still shouldn't be that far behind the other people in my group. If I was on my lock at least we'd have the portal and lockrocks, etc.

So... a lot of the posts I've read on this forum and others are all saying that shadow really is super gear dependent, and I'm wondering even if I get 5-6 heroic pieces, is my dps just going to continue to be awful? I don't remember Shadow being this bad in comparison in Cata (at lower gear levels). I find it hard to believe that the Lei Shen trinket is going to completely fix my dps. Should I cut my losses and re-roll lock for next tier NOW?

Really I'm just frustrated. Any advice from any other spriests would be welcome.

Thanks.
    Last edited by TMV; 2013-07-06 at 02:38 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you have any logs we can see?

Armormy link, logs ... anything?

My guild does run logs but they are private.
    Last edited by TMV; 2013-07-06 at 01:47 PM.

Then ask for some to be made public so we can help you better.

Honestly there's no point on having private logs unless you are on a top100 guild during progression, as logs are meant to analyze and improve your performance, and are best set to public

based off the information you're willing to provide, yellow socket -> 320 haste in your belt/chest/shoulder/helm/legs. spirit/haste in the blue socket in your legs.
    run glyph of mindflay if you're having issues with losing dps on movement since it'll get you there faster. I don't really see a point in glyph of dispersion either.

can't really help you with more than that if you're not willing to provide more information

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TMV View Post
    I almost switched from shadowpriest to lock (my lock was my main in Wrath) at the start of this tier and now I'm wondering why I didn't. Even with the upcoming nerfbat to Warlocks I'm wondering WHY I didn't switch. Really I'm just super frustrated. In Cata I was never the bottom dps and now I'm always 4th or 5th. This has been an ongoing thing since last tier. Yes, I know shadow isn't as strong now but I'm really just amazed at how crap my dps is. I know my gear isn't optimal, but I still shouldn't be that far behind the other people in my group. If I was on my lock at least we'd have the portal and lockrocks, etc.

So... a lot of the posts I've read on this forum and others are all saying that shadow really is super gear dependent, and I'm wondering even if I get 5-6 heroic pieces, is my dps just going to continue to be awful? I don't remember Shadow being this bad in comparison in Cata (at lower gear levels). I find it hard to believe that the Lei Shen trinket is going to completely fix my dps. Should I cut my losses and re-roll lock for next tier NOW?

Really I'm just frustrated. Any advice from any other spriests would be welcome.

Thanks.
    Hopefully this gets moved to the priest forum. But how do you expect an answer with no armory, no logs.
    You don't need full heroic gear to be doing good damage, I can say that. Spriests do have their strengths and weaknesses, and yes warlocks are much better when played right.

If you want an in-depth answer, give a more in-depth question.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    With inferior gear shadow is beyond terrible right now. With excellent gear shadow is okay-ish, maybe. You're going to have trouble ever getting beyond (maybe even to) middle of the pack of comparably geared players with spriest unless blizzard turns some dials in your favor.

Basically, you need to hope a group needs your spell haste buff.

Whats your gear level? DPS? We need something to go on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Inthislzon View Post
    Then ask for some to be made public so we can help you better.

Honestly there's no point on having private logs unless you are on a top100 guild during progression, as logs are meant to analyze and improve your performance, and are best set to public
    Totally offtopic, but my raidleader has a private logs policy (and we aren't near top 100) to prevent poaching from other guilds on server. I don't know if that's rational, but there are reasons people might keep privates...
    Last edited by shokter; 2013-07-06 at 09:59 PM.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Yeah, you should've just rerolled lock. Even with heroic gear, you'll still get shit stomped by any lock 10 ilevels or less below you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    Totally offtopic, but my raidleader has a private logs policy (and we aren't near top 100) to prevent poaching from other guilds on server. I don't know if that's rational, but there are reasons people might keep privates...
    That's fine, but then you guys can't really ask for help like the OP. Or rather, you can, but you're hampering the ability of people outside of your guild to help you.

It's definitely not ideal, but could you at least run an LFR and give us a log from that? It would at least help us find any severe issues in your ability usage if the problem lies there.

Quote Originally Posted by Denigrate View Post
    Yeah, you should've just rerolled lock. Even with heroic gear, you'll still get shit stomped by any lock 10 ilevels or less below you.
    I have a lock and have rolled a spriest. Spriests do seem to have dps issues right now.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I have a lock and have rolled a spriest. Spriests do seem to have dps issues right now.
    I realize that 20-something% hit isn't ideal but when I switch to shadow from disc I expect my DPS to go up ... alas it doesn't go up enough to make the switch worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    I realize that 20-something% hit isn't ideal but when I switch to shadow from disc I expect my DPS to go up ... alas it doesn't go up enough to make the switch worthwhile.
    See, there's this little thing called 'being properly itemized.' If your gear doesn't suit the mechanics of that spec/class your dps is going to be shit.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    See, there's this little thing called 'being properly itemized.' If your gear doesn't suit the mechanics of that spec/class your dps is going to be shit.
    Spriest is in the pooper even when properly itemized, and is much more sensitive to itemization than most other specs. It really is kinda effed up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Normie View Post
    Spriest is in the pooper even when properly itemized, and is much more sensitive to itemization than most other specs. It really is kinda effed up.
    Hmm, by no means are we OP but we are certainly not F'd up! yes, to get the most from the class having the LMG/UVLS/2pc/haste stacking is essential, but surely that is the same for all other classes, right?

I have recently joined a new guild, we have progressed to 9/13hc, im usually 4-6th whilst being 1-2ilvls behind. Thats not the spec being in the pooper, thats probably about right

We are not anywhere close to top, but at least we're in a much better spot than in t14. Our scaling hasn't been this good since, what, t11? You do need LMG, UVLS and at least 12-13k Haste to be effective though.

Must be an issue with you, not the class. Inbefore I play with shit Locks, the one I'm comparing myself to is getting ranked regularly (11/13 HC, so nowhere close to BiS gear, so obivously can't compete for the top spots).
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    Must be an issue with you, not the class. Inbefore I play with shit Locks, the one I'm comparing myself to is getting ranked regularly (11/13 HC, so nowhere close to BiS gear, so obivously can't compete for the top spots).
    Do you mean this guy? http://raidbots.com/epeenbot/eu/frostmane/macks/

Because if so, he's not very good DPS wise.