Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xizzu View Post
    Try this site out: forum.notebookreview.com, or better ask this question there most people here are clueless (especially those tellling him to buy parts and assemble it himself, goodluck assembling a laptop). Take benchmarks from notebookcheck with a grain of salt must cards tested there lack proper driver optimisation, that said the 780m is a solid card and have good oc capabilities, also WoW is more about the cpu than the gpu.
    Look at my post:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post21675117

Already suggested taking a look at that site and seriously ONE person missed it and thought OP had bought an Alienware PC and not laptop, calm down. I'm sure there are some "clueless" people here on this forum just like there is everywhere else, including notebookreview but to go as long as calling most people here clueless is quite rude. If you have nothing useful to add then don't post at all, thanks.

Ultra Shadow is really the only thing no one should bother running, x10 more if you raid. I mean really with all the god damn sparkle around and effects destroying your vision, can you even still see the shadows? The game will still render them perfectly, but its covered by all that shit haha. Ultra in raid, nobody has 60 fps constantly, nobody. Its just not well optimized. Go ultra with good shadows and everyone with a good computer made in the last 2 years is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Sorry to tell but unfortunately that website or those "benchmarks" are basically useless, they are wrong and/or not really providing any useful information. It looks pretty, I'll give you that
    cute. i'd love to tear you a new one but NDAs and such. In reality, it performs decently close to those expectations especially on such a stock game as WoW.

Is it just me or did this thread go from "what gpu can run shadows in 25man" to a "ultra shadows" flamefest?

Pretty sure the OP's question was answered looooong ago.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lightofdawn View Post
    i've played wow on literally 3 fps...nothing is unplayable.
    and no, he means like ~23 at the lowest.
    How does one play wow at 3 fps? I mean 10-15 is sort of playable, but 3? I mean i had 10-15fps limiter for ehm automated play if you know what i mean, but i ran like 2 WoWs or more not to waste gpu power for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    3960X is 3.3 Ghz stock and a 2600K is 3.4 Ghz stock. With higher stock clocks, its plausible that a 2600K can overclock higher than a 3960X, especially if HT is off for the 2600K and HT is on for the 3960X.

WoW doesn't scale all to well with SLI and a 680 can overclock higher than a 690 by default due to constraints of dual-GPU cards.

Don't confuse money spent with actual performance.
    the 3960x is also and enterprise grade chip, and thus has more performance in other transparent areas, even at the same speed and core count a 3960x will out perform a 2600k

the GPU portion of wow does scale up with SLI, but the scaling is not very good, the 4th gpu adds only a few FPS when you're in the middle of nowhere

my computer is clocked at 4.6 and has extensive ram caching and os tweaking, the result is that while its not going to generate many more FPS than an 1155/1150 quad core(2-3 at most), the gaming experience is significantly smoother and more enjoyable, the difference is large enough that anyone can walk up and tell which computer is which

but, even with all that tweaking, i still don't get 60 FPS in raiding, and on world boss pulls with several full 40 man groups i have had wow lock up for a few seconds

for anyone else wondering why, your framerate in wow is limited to the single core IPC rate of your CPU, this is because it is waiting on a single primary thread, the more loaded down this thread gets, the lower your framerate, this is why everyones FPS sinks in a high pop area, raids, and large pvp battles, its essentially a single lane highway with 10,000 cars trying to get through

when looking at CPUs, a 3960x, E5-2687W and 2500k all have the same core design, and so are stuck with nearly the same IPC rate, this means that buying an expensive computer will do nothing to improve your framerate, the only way to do that is to increase the IPC rate by overclocking it, which is why the K series quad cores are recommended over the HEDT hex cores and octo core Xeons, there is simply no reason to spend more money if it won't improve your framerate

this is not to be confused with enthusiast computer building, which is about building big powerful setups for the fun of it, like mine

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSSJ69 View Post
    cute. i'd love to tear you a new one but NDAs and such. In reality, it performs decently close to those expectations especially on such a stock game as WoW.
    No, it doesn't. They test without addons and out in the world taking a flight path rather than in 25 man raid. That's no where the performance you'll get.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunius View Post
    No, it doesn't. They test without addons and out in the world taking a flight path rather than in 25 man raid. That's no where the performance you'll get.
    Yeah i always laugh at wow "benchmarks", since most people on raid will be like omfg the card said 120 fps but i have 40? WTH?

Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSSJ69 View Post
    Notarget was commenting on PissMark site, not on any specific piece of hardware you might have an NDA or not. That benchmark has nearly zero relevance to actual gaming speed, that is the problem.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Runecapeman View Post
    Why do people automatically see alienware and say "mistake, bad, wrong, horrible"? Alienware isn't BAD. It's cool to have one if you have the money.

P.S.: I have a GTX 670 FTW Edition. It runs shadows and SSAO perfectly fine in any circumstance at 60 FPS or more.

Because you can get a better one 20% cheaper. It's good if you like to throw money through a window.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Because you can get a better one 20% cheaper. It's good if you like to throw money through a window.
    Lets hope those windows are opened up especially if it's coins you're throwing through them or you'll end up throwing even more money away, or out the window if you like

And yes my earlier comment, as vesseblah mentioned, was about the terrible benchmark site.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Lets hope those windows are opened up especially if it's coins you're throwing through them or you'll end up throwing even more money away, or out the window if you like

And yes my earlier comment, as vesseblah mentioned, was about the terrible benchmark site.
    Throwing money through a window is actually a french expression, well, atleast one used in the french language. Did a little bit of frenglish, you like it ? :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eihwaz View Post
    Throwing money through a window is actually a french expression, well, atleast one used in the french language. Did a little bit of frenglish, you like it ? :P
    I do, it's cute

(Sorry for the chatter but I figured the thread was "done" anyways)