Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    It doesn't cost much of anything to fix this situation. The problem isn't government greediness, it's a small error that gets compounded due to the bureaucratic hurdles one must jump when it comes to identification. It's going to cost him a few bucks at most. He'll spend more on postage probably.
    Except it's already cost him 20 bucks, and he still needs to get a drivers license and possibly an I.D. Around here that would add up to about 100 bucks just to get going.

It's a great strategy though, set kids up where they're going to have to pay you 20 bucks right off the top. Now multiply that by the amount of people that are going to have to pay for somebody else's lack of foresight and you get:

Surprise surprise, your government wants your $$$$$$$

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Yeah, after reading their info online you needed your birth certificate as well(still the same apparently). Honestly, you didn't do your research and that was your fault not theirs. Any time you move you check requirements to get ID/DL BEFORE going to the DMV, not after(before the internet this was done with a phone call). Each state is different since it's not a Federal Driver's License. You made an assumption because you'd gotten ID in other states before. Requirements change over time and based on location. Not really sure where the DMV was being difficult in your story. If anything YOU wasted other people's time, they didn't waste yours.
    LOL fair enuff, you have never delt with them. BTW I did NOT have to bring my birth cert. Know what aditional item I had to bring to prove it was me? A piece of mail with my name on it addressed to the Indy address I had moved to (not sure how that proves I was who I said i was as it was not issued or did not have a photo of me)

Obviously you skipped the part where I said this was 12+ years ago and their policies may have changed in that time.

reading comprehension D-

Edit it was 1996 so actually was more than 12 years ago but same point
    Last edited by Cantheal; 2013-07-06 at 06:52 PM.
    Just because I don't care does'nt mean I don't understand

I know the voices in my head are not real BUT they have some REALLY good ideas

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I didn't miss it, I just ignored it since A) you didn't give an actual date B) you already said you're over 40 so 12 years= 15+ minimum C) I was making a point about checking requirements, by today's standards you would have needed your Birth Cert as well.
    It would seem you just ignore what was said but that is fine. brought what was told (had to call as interwebz were not what they are today) , after over a hr of waiting told them I just moved to indiana from Cali. Was told to bring my DL and SS. Get there and they have a point system and a out of state DL was worth less points than a in state DL (again may have changed since then).

You may chose to ignore this AGAIN but at no point was asked for my birth Cert.

annnywaaays was just letting the OP know I understood as i had a experience with them years ago and done going through a bunch of crap for no reason LOL

Side note the easiest and least painful state for me was Wa when i lived there in the early 90's. Only had to take my current Cali DL gave them that and they had me take like a 10 question test on a comp and bam had my Wa lic. Ca can kinda be a pain just from the amount of ppl you have to deal with and the time it takes, atleast that is the way it is in San Luis Obispo which is a smaller pop city
    Last edited by Cantheal; 2013-07-06 at 07:28 PM.
    Just because I don't care does'nt mean I don't understand

I know the voices in my head are not real BUT they have some REALLY good ideas

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's not impossible, it's just a pain in the ass. So gather up a few of those documents to get a new birth certificate (if you can get it in person it makes it that much faster), then just double check the DMV requirements before heading back down there. And prepare for a wait lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I would call up your local DMV (BMV?) and see what's required for an identification card if they offer it. Anyone of any age can usually get one of those, so that might be the easiest option.

As to the birth certificate nonsense... yeah, my parents last year wanted to get passports and ran into some kind of trouble with theirs that forced them to go through the cost and time of getting new ones that included whatever missing info their originals didn't have. So fun!

Deleted
    A better question would be why does there even have to be gender on identification documents? I never got that to be honest since were supposed to have equality and all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    A better question would be why does there even have to be gender on identification documents? I never got that to be honest since were supposed to have equality and all.
    Considering how old of an invention passport is, I'm not surprised it's there for indentification reasons. But yea these days it could be left out.

So my question would be: Did the person actually try to verify your birth certificate or just tell you its invalid?

If they verified it and its not good, then you have problems. A relative should be able to get a new certificate for you if you dont have the required ID to get one. Otherwise you can probably just get a notarized affidavit verifying your identity for the state to send you what you need.

If not just forge an F or M on your birth certificate in the place its supposed to be and act like nothing is wrong. Then fix your birth certificate for real.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I dont see anything unequal about having sex included on ID. Its part of your ID. A man can have a female name or the other way around and its just another check that the person using the ID is the right person. The photo is probably the most important part of the ID but some people you cant tell easily if they are male or female.

What they dont need on your ID is your SSN and all the info that is on the strip. That stuff is a perfect combo for identity theft.

I live in Indiana and got my driver's license when I was 16 like a normal person.

I really don't know why you'd wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Anybody can get a State ID. It's an incredibly simple process.
    Yes, but they still require a birth certificate, a valid one which clearly his is not, to acquire it.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcsaar View Post
    I live in Indiana and got my driver's license when I was 16 like a normal person.

I really don't know why you'd wait.
    A normal person? Sometimes people go away to college right after school, and thus don't need a drivers license. Or some people have parents who don't let them get it, or some people just aren't ready to drive yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    A normal person? Sometimes people go away to college right after school, and thus don't need a drivers license. Or some people have parents who don't let them get it, or some people just aren't ready to drive yet.
    College is one of the best times to have a drivers license and a car. If you dont go to a school near where your parents live you would have to rely on someone else to drive you around. I thought people normally got a license when they were old enough (16 or 18 in some states) unless no one in the family had a car like people who live in cities like NY. Out West everyone drives, even if you dont have your own car your parents will have you drive theirs to go to the store and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantheal View Post
    Ca can kinda be a pain just from the amount of ppl you have to deal with and the time it takes, atleast that is the way it is in San Luis Obispo which is a smaller pop city
    See when I moved from Indiana to California my license still had four years left on it. According to the law they say you are required to contact the DMV once you've established residence after 10 days. So I contacted them and they told me not to worry about it until it was about to expire. So I renewed it last year and all I had to do was take in my old IN license, take a handwritten test and then wait for it to come in the mail. Was rather easy. I think most states have changed systems over now to where if you have a DL in another state they are easier to get since you've obviously had to provide the information before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post
    Surprise surprise, your government wants your $$$$$$$
    Wrong thread? This has nothing to do with the government wanting money.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Normal people still get their license around 18. The normal is what most people do...

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, the wonders of bureaucracy. I have no advice for getting your birth certificate, but as for dealing with these people, always be polite but assertive. I've dealt with their kind far too much, and I'd say maybe 1 in 4 of them actually do their jobs. If you let them, they'll toss you in to an endless cycle of making you somebody else's problem.