Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    If you heard it without being hit it probably wasn't aimed at you. Aside from the "bang" from the actual firearm, if you hear a distinctive "snap" the bullet passed near you and the shooter may have been aiming in your direction. In that case ducking may prevent a second shot from hitting you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    Glasgow. Gorbals
    In that case, I don't blame you for moving.

Can't help but feel that the correct solution here (beyond the obvious moving neighbourhood...) is to buy something big and rapid-firing, and next time a shot rings out, suppress the fuck out of the area with saturation fire while calling in air support or an artillery strike. Standard way of dealing with snipers!

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I used to visit a friend who lived in a bad area of the Bronx.

If you hear a gun shot, duck. Because there could be multiple gun shots. It was quite crazy there were gunshots so often there... someone even shot someone at around 2am in the stairwell on her floor, and the apartment was right across from it.
    this would be the ONLY reason to duck.

you're not dodging the first shot, you're reducing the chance of getting hit by subsequent ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    The Mythbusters tested this except they were using MUZZLE FLASH as the signal to try and dodge. They were barely able to avoid the shot of a trained sniper shooting while the shooter was several hundreds of yards away and using a signal that travels at the speed of light. You would not hear the sound of a sniper shot from far away before the bullet had already passed through your skull. Sorry - the noise is nowhere near fast enough.

sound travels at around 331 m/s, an average 9mm gun will shoot a bullet at around 366 m/s (most rifles shoot at 4x this speed). If you hear a gunshot, you would have already dodged the bullet, the only problem now is trying to dodge the rest.

If you are in a ghetto chances are they cant shoot to save their lives so just stand there they wont hit anything. Why else are there always innocent bystanders killed in drive bys? How come when you watch gang specials on history channel or nat geo they fire 100 rounds into a crowd and only hit like 3 people in the leg or shoulder hardly ever killing anyone. I have been shooting guns my entire life but emptied the clip from a handgun at a coon once that was 7 feet in front of me and missed every time. Most criminals use hand guns. They are hard as hell to shoot unless you spend a lot of time at a range. Now if they got a shotgun or something with a high cap magazine then you might be screwed.

Stood in the Fire buddhapunch09's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always hear gunshots outside my apartment. I live above a hair salon in a strip mall. I always duck because there is a brick wall on the flat roof connected to me. Is it pointless or a good thing to do?

Lololol
    Hmmm.... Im not sure but i think this is guy is trolling us. If soo this is a magnificent thread.
    Whats funny here is that i dont think people take into consideration that is the fourth of July.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhapunch09 View Post
    Lololol
    Hmmm.... Im not sure but i think this is guy is trolling us. If soo this is a magnificent thread.
    Whats funny here is that i dont think people take into consideration that is the fourth of July.
    where i live we all shoot guns in the air instead of fire works

Basing off my .22LR's 1270fps i will say. NO

Speed of sound is 761 Miles per hour that would be like 1,115fps

Deleted
    I always hear gunshots outside my apartment. I live above a hair salon in a strip mall. I always duck because there is a brick wall on the flat roof connected to me. Is it pointless or a good thing to do?
    hum...
    Correct me if i am wrong please.

For Bullets that travel above the speed of sound, If you can hear the gunshot it is already too late either you got it or it missed you.

For Bullets that travel bellow the speed of sound can't penetrate the wall.

You should duck anyways because for the bullets that can penetrate the wall, the guy shooting probably won't shot just one and he can miss the next rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Isn't going to help you with the first shot, but decreasing your profile is smart if you think more shots will follow.
    Definitely this. First shot won't matter. Hiding from future shots, always smart.

My question though is that why are you (I'm guessing long-term) in an area that has daily gunshots?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barrowwind View Post
    If you hear the shot - run for cover - cause either they missed or wasn't aiming for you.

Cause if you hear the shot - it's already hit it's target.
    By god, that's awful advice.

If you "run for cover", chances are they will see you easier and come after you. Best thing to do is make due with what you can, or SNEAK into cover; never immediately react and alert everyone to your presence. Running is never a smart option (unless it's to completely escape, if you know you can). REMEMBER: Life is not a video game and a single bullet can kill you, while in video games you can run through multiple and be 100% fine once you make it to cover.

Also, if you hear the shot, it doesn't mean it hit its target. There are many times where people miss their targets (and assuming these are gang thugs, they are most likely fairly inaccurate)

Disclaimer: In NO way do I claim to be a gun expert (or even a gun novice), nor have I ever lived in a bad part of town (hell, I'm terrified even THINKING about it, being a sheltered 22 y/o), but I do claim to know a bit about common sense (hence the advice above).
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2013-07-08 at 09:15 AM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.