10+ Year Old Account

i5-2320 vs i5-3570k

Hey guys! So I went to a convention and there was a Gigabyte and Cooler Master booth and they had great prices and giveaways.

My old rig was (prebuilt crappy Alienware x51):
    i5-2320
    2x2GB 1333mhz RAM
    GT 545
    1TB Seagate Barracuda
    Dell mini-ITX motherboard
    240w PSU

So I bought RAM, case, SSD, PSU, CPU cooler, and I was also given a FREE GRAPHICS CARD, so now my rig is:

CPU: i5-2320 (reused)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master X6
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
    RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1600mhz
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB (Got for free)
    PSU: 600w Cooler Master Silent Pro Modular
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Stryker
    SSD: 120GB Kingston SSD
    HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda (reused)

Anyways, I'm not here for you guys to critique the build or anything (prices are different, not online, not on any site, don't judge, I'm happy with what I've got so far)

What I'm here for is the CPU. atm I've got a slightly overclocked i5-2320 @ 3.2GHz. If I upgrade this to a 3570k and overclock to 4.0GHz, how much of a difference will it make for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty Black Ops 2, Call of Duty Ghosts, and Battlefield 4?

Is it worth the upgrade?

- - - Updated - - -

100+ views and no reply

Does the i5-2320 even bottleneck games?

Deleted
    In games like Battlefield 3 (which are more CPU than GPU related) you will see improvement. In my opinion, you should upgrade, you will have no problems in future with games. I have 3570k too and didnt have a single problem with games (unlike my old AMD). Was thinking about upgrade to Haswell but its not worth in my opinion (different socket and few % better).

This is my opinion, you should wait fore more opinions and then decide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I understand that 3570k>2320, just not sure by how much and if the upgrade is worth the money

On maximum possible settings, I'm getting 60-90FPS in BF3 multiplayer atm. I am satisfied with 40+ LOL.

Blazing through games I play with the current setup although I'm sure future games (late 2013, 2014) will give my CPU some hard time. Might hit up a 3570k/3770k this fall, then.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity can my Cooler Master X6 heatsink and the GA-Z77X-D3H push a 3570k to 4.0GHz?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    Yeah I understand that 3570k>2320, just not sure by how much and if the upgrade is worth the money

On maximum possible settings, I'm getting 60-90FPS in BF3 multiplayer atm. I am satisfied with 40+ LOL.

Blazing through games I play with the current setup although I'm sure future games (late 2013, 2014) will give my CPU some hard time. Might hit up a 3570k/3770k this fall, then.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity can my Cooler Master X6 heatsink and the GA-Z77X-D3H push a 3570k to 4.0GHz?
    Yes it will push it to 4.0 GHz easily. You could probably get 4.2-4.5 fairly easily.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you notice heavy frame drops on multiplayer 64 players on close quarter maps, then make the upgrade. If you have 60 fps as minimum then there is zero reason to upgrade.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifelvind View Post
    In games like Battlefield 3 (which are more CPU than GPU related) you will see improvement. In my opinion, you should upgrade, you will have no problems in future with games. I have 3570k too and didnt have a single problem with games (unlike my old AMD). Was thinking about upgrade to Haswell but its not worth in my opinion (different socket and few % better).

This is my opinion, you should wait fore more opinions and then decide.
    I wonder if that's true

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    I wonder if that's true
    I, too, wonder. With the same CPU paired up with a GT545, I was struggling to get 40-50 fps on a mix of low+medium settings. Now I've literally maxed out everything and I'm getting over 80FPS with the same CPU but the GPU changed to a 760 (albeit not in 64player games, havent tried that)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    If you notice heavy frame drops on multiplayer 64 players on close quarter maps, then make the upgrade. If you have 60 fps as minimum then there is zero reason to upgrade.
    I was mostly referring to future games like BF4

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm that I am getting over 60FPS (average 65-70, sometimes up to 90) in a full 64 player very small map (noshahr canals) at max settings

10+ Year Old Account
    While BF3 is more CPU intensive than most FPS games, it is not favored torwards better CPU power. It is still a GPU bound game. Though, BF3 does like more powerful CPU's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripox View Post
    I, too, wonder. With the same CPU paired up with a GT545, I was struggling to get 40-50 fps on a mix of low+medium settings. Now I've literally maxed out everything and I'm getting over 80FPS with the same CPU but the GPU changed to a 760 (albeit not in 64player games, havent tried that)

- - - Updated - - -

I was mostly referring to future games like BF4

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm that I am getting over 60FPS (average 65-70, sometimes up to 90) in a full 64 player very small map (noshahr canals) at max settings
    If you CPU handles BF3 perfectly fine at minimums then you will have the same experience in BF4. You GPU would work harder in BF4 though, you will probaly hover at 40-50 fps at max settings.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    well, judging by the bf4 trailers, the maps are INSANE and max settings would mean high view distances and with such a a large map(reworked graphics because consoles, everything can be blown up, massive vehicles and explosions and buildings tumbling down around you, 64 player warfare) do you really think my system can still keep up with max settings bf4? I will likely get a 3570k or 3770k this August (if not August then September) and if BF4 poses a problem I guess that means a new 800w PSU and a second 760

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, you should atleast wait and see how hard performance gets hit.