Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    It was amazing when it didn't have a chance to backfire in raids back in Wrath, dat feel when they hotfixed it and you had your first failure in raid. Went flying into the air first phase of H LK hah. Not so bad when it's that, but dat rocket fuel leak :|

You have the gloves enhant, which is awesome. Nitro Boots is an added bonus, like parachutes, that you use at your own risk. Its not needed for PvE so you are not forced to use them.

If you've decided to use Nitro Boosts in a raid environment then there's a high chance you're doing so because something's about to kill you. Ergo if they fail you'll die anyways. The fact that you'll die quicker is neither here nor there. If there's a chance you can escape whatever's incoming without Nitro Boosts, it's always more advisable to take that chance, otherwise you're swapping that chance with the higher failure chance of Nitro Boosts. You could argue it's about judgment - if you're low health and 3-4 seconds away from getting out of the fire, you might as well use Nitro Boost because if it works you're safe. If it doesn't you die but you would have died anyways so who cares about the method?

Some people don't know about the fuel leak - this is always how they fail inside an instance, and the other failure method is how they always fail outside an instance. The fuel leak was added because instances don't have ceilings that you can hit, even if there are graphics there. This is so that you can have the camera as zoomed out as far as you like. This meant that when Nitro Boost failed, people were often thrown so high into the air that they left the confines of the actual room. This could result in disconnects and/or falling through the world. In extreme cases it could lead to your character being unrecoverable without GM intervention.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

I have tried forcing a fail ever since I got the boost.... nothing yet lol. I expect it to fail many times tonight during raid lol.

Deleted
    i have a general rule that i only use them if i have cloak of shadows at the rdy to remove the dot if they fail.

Guys, just be happy you don't get blown up into the air, when on a boss fight, anymore. Telling your raid leader that you died cause you were too slow and had to use your Nitro Boost isn't well recieved...

Quote Originally Posted by torterra275 View Post
    Um, everything in WoW is RNG? Awww, tank wouldn't have died if the heal crit. Add would have died before the next cast if my spell crit.
    Other profession based perks either have no rng or what they have isn't ever negative like this can be. If a tailors cloak procs or doesn't they wont die where you can and will if your nitro goes haywire.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

The benefits engineering offer in terms of quantity WAY outnumber those from any other profession.
    If you take the "safe" options into account, then engineering is balanced for combat perks and so needs something to simply not be unfair and a simply superior profession choice.
    Those failures are part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Other profession based perks either have no rng or what they have isn't ever negative like this can be. If a tailors cloak procs or doesn't they wont die where you can and will if your nitro goes haywire.
    And the other professions have only the single bonus averaging out to be similar overall.
    Give everyone a similar quantity and then we can talk about removing the failures from what are a bonus, and arguably an unfair one at that.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2013-07-08 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Also they need to fix boots+glider. I dont know why they changed it but its fucking annoying.
    Probably because some people, somewhere, were using them to jump+glide to places they weren't supposed to get to. They changed it for all speed up/slowfall ability combos.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

As has been mentioned, even without nitro boots Engineering is a better DPS profession than most alternatives. I do not consider gold-making to be part of the equation, as it isn't for most "serious" raiders and it varies heavily on player "skill" and server.

Boots should probably have an INCREASED failure rate (with the same health penalty) or a DECREASED rate with DEATH as the penalty. If you want a lower penalty, the failure rate should probably be SUBSTANTIALLY INCREASED.

However, to me a very acceptable alternative would be eliminating or substantially reducing the failure rate/penalty, but making them UNUSABLE IN COMBAT. This still makes them "fun" for runs back without affecting balance.

Another potential alternative would be to have the boost be a proc, not an on-use ability. That could truly make them fun, with a risk/reward built in, as a speed boost when you don't expect it can cause problems as often as it can fix them.

For many players, especially for those who (perhaps unwisely) rely on it, at the moment nitro boost prevents far more deaths than it causes. For some guilds, especially those warlock-deficient, it made transition phases on Lei Shen substantially easier, as it let players survive Helm of Command where they would have otherwise died. Of course the best play and strategies did not rely on this element of RNG, but it nevertheless provided a benefit to some guilds far beyond any other profession "perk."

I remember having pretty much every top raider being an Engineer back in ICC, specifically for nitro boosts, when they had a much much smaller chance of punting you in the air instead. That's what led them to give it a much higher chance to fail and the malfunction changed to slowly kill you.

If it couldn't fail, we'd be back in the Wrath days when Engineering was by the far the superior profession for raiding. If I remember correctly, so many people were using it that that's why the failure rate was buffed significantly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyM View Post
    Boots should probably have an INCREASED failure rate (with the same health penalty) or a DECREASED rate with DEATH as the penalty. If you want a lower penalty, the failure rate should probably be SUBSTANTIALLY INCREASED.
    Then no one would use them- period.

However, to me a very acceptable alternative would be eliminating or substantially reducing the failure rate/penalty, but making them UNUSABLE IN COMBAT. This still makes them "fun" for runs back without affecting balance.
    Engineers have enough worthless crap that can't be used in combat.

Another potential alternative would be to have the boost be a proc, not an on-use ability. That could truly make them fun, with a risk/reward built in, as a speed boost when you don't expect it can cause problems as often as it can fix them.
    That's why they took out plainsrunning.

If you want to make nitro boosts so unappealing that they just not be used, you might as well advocate them just being taken out of the game.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Nitro Boosts give a huge advantage in raids to not only survivability. For example, on Jin-Rohk, you're supposed to get out of the pool which gives you 50% increased damage by the way, before lightning storm happens. The more dps you can get in on the boss while in the pool, the better. If I didn't have nitro boost to get out of the pool in a flash, I'd have to stop dpsing for a few seconds which hurts my dps in order to survive. With nitro boosts, I can keep casting for some extra time and get more damage out, and still be able to survive the lightning storm.

There are other examples of that, but also the goblin glider can be a life-saver. I've been knocked off the platform on heroic durumu before by force of will because of a Life Drain stun, and used my glider to save myself from falling.

In short, the bonuses that engineering gives to raid efficiency is so much to where the top raiders in the world replace a fully leveled profession in order to have them. I know a couple guilds who's healers all rerolled engineering to get the glove tinker for more healing on heroic Meg.
    You've just argued why the boosts are NOT part of the engineering bonus. The gloves are. If you use boosts to do more damage in pools before having to run, fine, but if they fail and you wipe the raid, tough.

10+ Year Old Account
    have 2 engs. hunter and druid I knew the risks associated with it did it anyway. be prepared for if it fails. on the hunter im sol. on the druid I have cds to keep myself alive
    Chaos! Madness! Like a hug for your brain!¯\(°_o)/¯
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpheus View Post
    People doing below 200k dps? Ain't nobody got time for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by smartazjb0y View Post
    Why? Why should content be gated behind skill?
    14/14h and finally done

10+ Year Old Account
    I like my nitro boosts, even with the failure rate. Sure its annoying to have them fail, but I try to not use it in a situation that would wipe the raid if mine does fail. As a rogue, at least, I have ways of negating the two failure options, which is a huge plus.

Nitro boosts is for fun not for serious progression. Engineering gets the same stat benefit as the other professions which is perfectly safe. If you wipe your raid using boosts you deserve to be raged at.

No profession has anything that compares. Boost shouldn't be a go-to planned-around ability, unless you want engineering to be mandatory. If the choice was between certain death or a chance of death (Helm of Command too close to the edge, or caught in a tornado on IQ with too little health, or caught way out on Megaera during rampage), people would still use boost. It should be a gambit, not a get out of jail free card.

People would still use them out of combat - and it would be far from worthless.

The question is, "How is this ability balanced with other professions?" The simple fact of the matter is that no other profession has anything comparable. Therefore, using it or not should be a flip of the coin - realistically, if it ever has the ability to save your life it is overpowered (as it could be used only in those situations - failure would provide no loss, success would provide a gain). If it ever provides a DPS gain, it has to be balanced with an equal chance of a DPS loss - this can be accomplished by stressing healer mana, by providing a risk of death, or perhaps a loss of movement speed. Perhaps a 50% chance of success, where failure results in an undispellable root (or moving at 1/x speed, where x is whatever speed you move at with success)?

Having them removed from raid instances, or combat altogether (really, raid instances in combat, but one of the other two options would provide for easier implementation), is really the best option for solving balance concerns.

remove glove enchant and give me infinite usable bombs and 100% working tools instead :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyM View Post
    People would still use them out of combat - and it would be far from worthless.
    Yes, running back after a wipe would be a fun and engaging use of the nitro boost mechanic.

Almost as useful as the night elf wisp racial. Almost.

The question is, "How is this ability balanced with other professions?" The simple fact of the matter is that no other profession has anything comparable. Therefore, using it or not should be a flip of the coin - realistically, if it ever has the ability to save your life it is overpowered (as it could be used only in those situations - failure would provide no loss, success would provide a gain). If it ever provides a DPS gain, it has to be balanced with an equal chance of a DPS loss - this can be accomplished by stressing healer mana, by providing a risk of death, or perhaps a loss of movement speed.
    "nitro boosts provide no DPS gain" what? For melee, they can be incredibly useful for quickly streaking back into melee range. Take bladelord ta'yak for example. Can shoot straight through his little frogger wind maze. Nitro boosts+stampeding roar (in that order) = insane speed boost.

Perhaps a 50% chance of success, where failure results in an undispellable root (or moving at 1/x speed, where x is whatever speed you move at with success)?
    Awful idea. You can be healed through the damage the DoT puts on you. (and some classes can remove it/avoid its application) But in your scenario, use nitro boosts and then have the boss drop a OKO voidzone on you? GG.

Having them removed from raid instances, or combat altogether (really, raid instances in combat, but one of the other two options would provide for easier implementation), is really the best option for solving balance concerns.
    That would just make them pointless. But hey, we know how fun the gnomish gravity well is, right?

...right? Anyone?
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-07-09 at 09:21 AM.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.