Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #81
    Elemental Lord Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    8,567
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyM View Post
    People would still use them out of combat - and it would be far from worthless.
    Yes, running back after a wipe would be a fun and engaging use of the nitro boost mechanic.

    Almost as useful as the night elf wisp racial. Almost.

    The question is, "How is this ability balanced with other professions?" The simple fact of the matter is that no other profession has anything comparable. Therefore, using it or not should be a flip of the coin - realistically, if it ever has the ability to save your life it is overpowered (as it could be used only in those situations - failure would provide no loss, success would provide a gain). If it ever provides a DPS gain, it has to be balanced with an equal chance of a DPS loss - this can be accomplished by stressing healer mana, by providing a risk of death, or perhaps a loss of movement speed.
    "nitro boosts provide no DPS gain" what? For melee, they can be incredibly useful for quickly streaking back into melee range. Take bladelord ta'yak for example. Can shoot straight through his little frogger wind maze. Nitro boosts+stampeding roar (in that order) = insane speed boost.

    Perhaps a 50% chance of success, where failure results in an undispellable root (or moving at 1/x speed, where x is whatever speed you move at with success)?
    Awful idea. You can be healed through the damage the DoT puts on you. (and some classes can remove it/avoid its application) But in your scenario, use nitro boosts and then have the boss drop a OKO voidzone on you? GG.

    Having them removed from raid instances, or combat altogether (really, raid instances in combat, but one of the other two options would provide for easier implementation), is really the best option for solving balance concerns.
    That would just make them pointless. But hey, we know how fun the gnomish gravity well is, right?

    ...right? Anyone?
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-07-09 at 09:21 AM.
    "Do not look down, my friend. Even in the darkest of times, there is always hope... Hope for a better day, hope for a new dawn... Or just hope for a good breakfast. You start small, then see what you can get." ~ Covetous Shen
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  2. #82
    You cannot possibly be serious here. If you are depending on nitro boost you're doing it completely wrong. That said we have a few engineer's in our raid group who can us it responsibly and know how to handle it if it fails. Don't cry about something that has a little flavor to it when its just a boost. and it's not lile the rocket boot is going to kill you if you have a back up plan.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #83
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    171
    I can't believe people are still debating that Nitro Boost is useful in a PvE scenario. Engineering is NOT the top DPS profession because of the glove tinker, but because of the Frag Belt. There is a reason Frag Belt is getting nerfed in 5.4, it flew under the radar for a long time.

    If you are using Nitro Boost or relying on it for fight mechanics, you are doing something wrong. People keep mentioning Helm of Command on Lei Shen.... which is probably THE worst example to use. Every class has some sort of "on demand" sprint or blink type ability, if you're relying on Nitro Boost for it, you were doing something wrong to begin with to be caught out in a bad spot.

  4. #84
    Well, an ability that could and for already did, prevent a wipe and give us that precious firstkill, sould as well be able to give you a wipe.

    Sure you can argue that my nitro boosts didt kill the boss but the raid and you are right.
    It was like, "DAMN enrage, blow bubbles and shit."
    Then first used some invisibility dogde to gain some extra time and finally at about 30% health i popped iceblock.
    Boss was below 1% but still living when my iceblock ended. So i blinked away and gained another 5 seconds by running away with nitro boosts. 4 Seconds later boss died to dots ticking him away.

    So yeah that night it gave us the firstkill and saved us at least one wipe.
    I always bring that up when raidleader flames my engeneering skill backfiring.

    On the other hand, as it backfires quite a lot, at least enough not to use it on CD in a heroic raiding guild. So when i am in raid i only use it when i would die without them functioning properly anyway. So if they backfire, nothing much changes from having not used them.

    And just to point out, getting into a situation where only nitro boosts could save you. Thats the fault already. You always get enough time to move away from shit (in PVE that is) without any movement enhancing stuff. So if you need that movement enhancing stuff anyway, then there is something with your reaction times or with you daydreaming.

  5. #85
    I had a fun time when the nitro boots shot me up into the air when I was fighting one too many players and then I used the glider in mid air and escaped. But yeah rocket fuel leaks suck.

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    The engi bonus are the glove enchants. Anything beyond that is purely for fun(some more useful then other).
    It used to not be that way, though. The speed boost was the Eng bonus and the few small stat upgrades were just extra, really.

    I don't know why they decided to change it. I think it was just because everyone was choosing Eng for the boost, and it was making things a little unbalanced in terms of survival.

    Still, they should just change it back. It was why I grabbed Eng, and when they took it away(making it a chance to fail basically takes it away, since it's completely RNG at that point), I switched.
    I am American mentally, with Japanese tendencies.

  7. #87
    Luckily im a rogue, so i can use cloak of shadows in case of a malfunction.
    if you dont have a similar ability, you should only use nitro as a last resort.

    the gloves tinker makes engineering more than equal to all other profs.
    we also got goblin glider, which makes jumping down to nests at Jikun alot easier. In BGs it can save your life if you get knocked over an edge.
    we got jeeves and mailbox, all in all a very usefull prof in a raid enviroment.

    yet you dare to whine about nitroboosts havin a ~25% malfunction risk...

    dry your eyes mate

  8. #88
    Isn't frag belt a 30k dmg on 60sec cd? That means 500dps for a class that has no mastery increasing overall damage. Therefore I'd like to congratulate on 50k dps to everyone saying it's doing 1% of their overall damage.

    @OP imo it's fine, it's good enough to make it useful for some people and bad enough to not make it mandatory for every hc raider. After all, it's a WotLK tinker.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    The engi bonus are the glove enchants. Anything beyond that is purely for fun(some more useful then other).
    This. Be happy you get an amazing bonus tool ontop of the DPS.

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephrie View Post
    Isn't frag belt a 30k dmg on 60sec cd? That means 500dps for a class that has no mastery increasing overall damage. Therefore I'd like to congratulate on 50k dps to everyone saying it's doing 1% of their overall damage.

    @OP imo it's fine, it's good enough to make it useful for some people and bad enough to not make it mandatory for every hc raider. After all, it's a WotLK tinker.
    It's AoE, it scales with Spell power im pretty sure, and it scales with crit, and it scales with certain masteries (such as my Arcane Mage)

    It can hit pretty damn hard.

  11. #91
    really is fine as it is, its a nice xtra perk for engineers

  12. #92
    Weren't boosts a 100% chance boost in ICC, and everyone was an engineer?

  13. #93
    Pandaren Monk Of-the-horde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Reading lots of Mangas.
    Posts
    1,859
    Agreed, they really got to improve it. It really sucks chasing after some idiot that tried to gank me > he saw that he can't kill me and wants to run > my boosts fail > me sad panda
    Personal opinion: remove the glove enchant I dont care about few % str or dodge but remove the fail chance on the boosts. This sounds like a fair trade. Maybe add some passive base stat enchant on the belt included with the nitro.
    Last edited by Of-the-horde; 2013-07-14 at 09:52 PM.

  14. #94
    engineers get a goblin glider for a reason but yea it is annoying as hell and I seem to get it like 1/3 times it seems

  15. #95
    I am Murloc! Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    5,138
    Heh, the reason I went Engineering in the firs place was because it couldn't fail in WOTLK. Specifically for defile on Heroic Lich King.

  16. #96
    I WOTLK there was no leak iirc could still fail. I still remember mine failing during Rotface encounter. Eitherways there is nothing wrong with engineering currently. And it's possibly the best raiding profession out there for some classes the Synapse Springs it's actually better dps increase than a regular 320 stats, the reason is certain classes allows it to line it up with other dps cooldown for bigger initial burst which result to slight better dps than 320 primary passive stats would offer you. With that being said engineering offers you other cool stuff such as portable mailbox/bank, glider etc.

    Engineering is possibly the most fun profession so I don't think there's anything wrong with nitro boosts

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Nitro Boosts give a huge advantage in raids to not only survivability. For example, on Jin-Rohk, you're supposed to get out of the pool which gives you 50% increased damage by the way, before lightning storm happens. The more dps you can get in on the boss while in the pool, the better. If I didn't have nitro boost to get out of the pool in a flash, I'd have to stop dpsing for a few seconds which hurts my dps in order to survive. With nitro boosts, I can keep casting for some extra time and get more damage out, and still be able to survive the lightning storm.
    .
    You're so so so wrong. You should Never EVER EVER rely on rocket boots, ESPECIALLY in a raiding scenario. This coming from a 13/13H raider I would never put myself in a position to rely on my rocket boots to get me out of a situation. This is because I've had rocket boots fail four times in a row, they're too unreliable.Another thing just to mention is that the pools for Jin are really large so you can stand on the very edge and just hop right out, no need for boots.

  18. #98
    Brewmaster cyqu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Where the pros reside
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by wigwam View Post
    Sorry, but you are wrong. Nitro Boosts give a huge advantage in raids to not only survivability. For example, on Jin-Rohk, you're supposed to get out of the pool which gives you 50% increased damage by the way, before lightning storm happens. The more dps you can get in on the boss while in the pool, the better. If I didn't have nitro boost to get out of the pool in a flash, I'd have to stop dpsing for a few seconds which hurts my dps in order to survive. With nitro boosts, I can keep casting for some extra time and get more damage out, and still be able to survive the lightning storm.

    There are other examples of that, but also the goblin glider can be a life-saver. I've been knocked off the platform on heroic durumu before by force of will because of a Life Drain stun, and used my glider to save myself from falling.

    In short, the bonuses that engineering gives to raid efficiency is so much to where the top raiders in the world replace a fully leveled profession in order to have them. I know a couple guilds who's healers all rerolled engineering to get the glove tinker for more healing on heroic Meg.
    ok then take away the glove enchant you get from engineering...
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Noqr View Post
    I think this thread put the last nail in the coffin. This forum is so cynical and toxic that people are now whining about NITRO BOOSTS.
    You're complaining about people discussing a small aspect of the game that they feel is flawed. How is that toxic and cynical? It's not fun for Engineers who've used Nitro Boosts over the years to see it increasingly restricted and nerfed as time goes on.

  20. #100
    If anything is changed about Nitro boost it should be removed from the game, not buffed. Burst speed that fast is by far the most valuable tool for raiding. Having said that, leave it as it is imo.


    I DID NOT SAY THEY SHOULD REMOVE NITRO BOOST. Don't misquote me on that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •