Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Few questions about RP realms.

Hey.

I think I will start brand new character on one of European RP realms.
    However I wonder if I can find any kind of "code" that I have to learn while playing on such realm.
    My knowledge about Warcraft's universe lore is decent so I think it shouldn't be a problem. I am planning to start another Rogue, either Forsaken or Night Elf.
    Also if by any chance I can be banned for something? Like let's say refuse to do something as I'm a rogue mercenary and I demand payment?

I am really curious how does it looks like to play on Role Play realms.

10+ Year Old Account
    For the most part, it's pretty similar to playing on normal realms. The only additional rules are the naming rules, which are mostly community-policed (eg enforced by reports).

Past that, it depends on the RP community you get involved with I imagine. Most players on RP realms aren't role players; you have to seek out those that are.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Kyok View Post
    Hey.

I think I will start brand new character on one of European RP realms.
    However I wonder if I can find any kind of "code" that I have to learn while playing on such realm.
    My knowledge about Warcraft's universe lore is decent so I think it shouldn't be a problem. I am planning to start another Rogue, either Forsaken or Night Elf.
    Also if by any chance I can be banned for something? Like let's say refuse to do something as I'm a rogue mercenary and I demand payment?

I am really curious how does it looks like to play on Role Play realms.
    My experience on RP realms is that if you aren't in the Goldshire inn with no clothes on than you are doing it all wrong.

assuming you find an active RP server, just avoid godmodding and PLEASE never ever "ERP" (a stupid term people throw around in an attempt to justify cybering...hate those people). don't claim a direct link with a lore character (meaning you aren't related to them and you aren't a member of their super special personal guard), don't force an action by another character or instantly make something you do do something to them (generally considered good to ask permission before launching into RP that will have lasting effects on a character), don't make your character super powerful (not immortal, not invincible, not able to kill things with a look), aaaaand always understand that not every character will be friendly or share your views.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Past that, it depends on the RP community you get involved with I imagine. Most players on RP realms aren't role players; you have to seek out those that are.
    this is sadly true... it's even worse on RPPVP servers where 90% of the server population doesn't even admit it's not a full PVP server.
    ...at this point it's almost guaranteed that "war in warcraft" is garrosh getting on his incompetent podium to declare yet another group his enemy for the crime of breathing his air, alliance saying this is horde favoritism, and the more....special....yes.. let's go with special... horde players seeing garrosh as a god because he lets them attack the alliance players who keep saying that out being led by a moron is horde favoritism.

Deleted
    Well, it's definitely a good idea to know basic lore about the race you have chosen, so as you say, that shouldn't be a problem if your knowledge is already decent. As for demanding payment ... so long as you're in character and the other player knows this, no, you won't get banned. ;P I also advise that you download an RP add-on like MyRoleplay; it just makes life easier. Be polite to other players and remember that RP is for fun, not to be taken too seriously. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by razorfire View Post
    assuming you find an active RP server, just avoid godmodding and PLEASE never ever "ERP" (a stupid term people throw around in an attempt to justify cybering...hate those people). don't claim a direct link with a lore character (meaning you aren't related to them and you aren't a member of their super special personal guard), don't force an action by another character or instantly make something you do do something to them (generally considered good to ask permission before launching into RP that will have lasting effects on a character), don't make your character super powerful (not immortal, not invincible, not able to kill things with a look), aaaaand always understand that not every character will be friendly or share your views.
    A lot of this dude says is outright stupid.

Just think yourself as a character in a book (knowing the context to some extent) and act as such. It should get you pretty far.

Keep it civil, please
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-07-07 at 06:15 PM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post

Just think yourself as a character in a book (knowing the context to some extent) and act as such. It should get you pretty far.
    Those are pretty standard rules of engagement on an RP server.

Unless you're planning to just RP with yourself, those are pretty important.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Those are pretty standard rules of engagement on an RP server.

Unless you're planning to just RP with yourself, those are pretty important.
    More like basic common sense hid between sentences filled with idiocity while trying to preach for one's standards.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

thanks for the reasonable comment, obviously the most considerate thing ever. while not every RP group has that same standards they ARE in effect for the ones that actually try to avoid godmodding (which are sadly not many since every other group seems to decide "I'M KING OF ALL LORDAERON", but yes obviously standards and sticking to the lore is outright stupid, thanks for that.
    ...at this point it's almost guaranteed that "war in warcraft" is garrosh getting on his incompetent podium to declare yet another group his enemy for the crime of breathing his air, alliance saying this is horde favoritism, and the more....special....yes.. let's go with special... horde players seeing garrosh as a god because he lets them attack the alliance players who keep saying that out being led by a moron is horde favoritism.

Quote Originally Posted by razorfire View Post
    thanks for the reasonable comment, obviously the most considerate thing ever. while not every RP group has that same standards they ARE in effect for the ones that actually try to avoid godmodding (which are sadly not many since every other group seems to decide "I'M KING OF ALL LORDAERON", but yes obviously standards and sticking to the lore is outright stupid, thanks for that.
    The issue with your "guidance" is the tone and hammerfisting, not necessarily the basic idea behind the intent.

The issue with your "guidance" is the tone and hammerfisting, not necessarily the basic idea behind the intent.
    he asked about RP servers, I gave basic godmodding avoidance and a warning against ERP (which is technically against terms of service). I gave simple points and if you find my tone insulting please tell me how instead of simply saying everything I said was stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep it civil, please. There isn't a reason to throw out insults

His guidance was perfectly fine and sound. Don't make a ridonculous mary-sue character related to Illidan or something, don't make a super-powered god character, and don't 'force' other people's characters to do something in your own text, and finally, don't get offended if somebody else's character doesn't get along with yours. Very straightforward, quite simple, and yet a lot of people that roleplay still manage to obliterate all of those 'rules.'

10+ Year Old Account
    You might try reading this for a start:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1083609469

It's more or less the why's and wherefore's about RP conduct from the Cenarion Circle realm forum. Cenarion Circle is a very nice RP realm (US) with a good community. The above is a general guide as to why RP rules exist in the first place and by extension what they are. It's quite long but should go a very long ways toward answering your general question about RP and RP standards.

MMO-C has a Role-Playing forum as well with some stickys that will be helpful too. With all of that you should be on your way.

Good luck.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-07-07 at 06:20 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

apologies for going off topic with that, but in terms of actual things to avoid getting in trouble with blizzard, it's what tziva said, use the blizz approved naming standards, try to avoid reference names if you can and on the requiring payment thing it will likely depend on the community whether or not you get RPers who will actually give gold payment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Code of conduct on an RP realsm usually follows:

- Respect peoples roleplay on the rp realm, if they are obviously being serious about it.

- Download certain addons that allow you to read peoples RP profile, such as Myroleplay, and TotalRP2.

- When in any rp event, remember to follow the rules set by that event, such as if your in an RP-PVP event, don't just run around killing other players, this is considered trolling in any rp event and you need to respect both the event makers rules and that of the opposing side.

- Don't use some god like description or emotes in your profiles or actions. Your character won't be able to just rp instant kill anyone because you find it fun, usually roleplayers are on the same level, though some try to work themselves around with god-like powers, which is just trolling.

And I'd also suggest finding out if the server you play on has an event calender for rp events, like a website where people broadcast events up and coming.
    #boycottchina

As a general rule of thumb, typing out of character messages in /s or /y is generally frowned upon and should be avoided.

Actually what he's saying is incredibly important to RPing. These things almost always lead to a cheap character and if you have a cheap character you can only get into cheap RP's.

You want to have a good character and thus be able to get into the RP's that are going to feel more rewarding.

This has been said already but seriously, this sort of thing should be reinforced as much as possible, lest the quality of RP on a forum or realm or what have you slips.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    As a general rule of thumb, typing out of character messages in /s or /y is generally frowned upon and should be avoided.
    Depends on the crowd or if you're in a group or not. Usually the double parenthesis is a solid way of distinguishing OOC from IC chatter.

Point for point;

Quote Originally Posted by Kyok View Post
    Check the realm forums; last I checked, there were more than a few resources available to new roleplayers. You're at least asking, so that's a good start. Generally, "don't be a dick" is a pretty solid rule to abide by.
    I'm fairly sure you're allowed to ask about how well your character flies in RP in the RP forum? I imagine Madgod will poke his head into this thread at some point(aw man i was writing while you were madgod); I'm not a regular there, but I imagine it'd be okay.
    This is kind of stickly. Money, ingame, is a real thing, but the services you're providing are not (unless you're into the ERP, in which case, darknest is over yonder). When I played, typically payment is just an emote- no actual money changes hands. Of course, this depends on what exactly you're doing- You might have a prop that you're selling for monetary value, and the value of vanity items is often wildly different on RP realms than it is on regular realms.

However, if you bring your RP into an LFG group that isn't preformed, there is a very strong chance that your behavior will at the very least get you swiftly kicked from the group. Even if your group is entirely composed of players from your server, not everyone is in character 24/7.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2013-07-07 at 06:43 PM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    MMO-C has a Role-Playing forum as well with some stickys that will be helpful too. With all of that you should be on your way.

Good luck.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...P-Etiquette%29

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...64%3Cbr%20/%3E

Those two are our etiquette pages... there's a character creation template too, which helps to sort out all the basic stuff you need for a character. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...acter-Creation

Mind you addons like MRP have similar templates, so it's a solid way of getting your thoughts on paper before throwing them into the game.

Keep in mind that these are OUR standards. Some communities on an RP realm may have different ones, so you should always try and check if you're joining a guild and they want you to submit a character sheet or do an in-game interview or something... but for the most part those are fairly basic.