Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is the idea behind maps like Blade's Edge Arena?

Which heavily favor Ele / Warlock teams.

Faced the same team like 10 times today, and literally only lost to them on Blade's Edge Arena because between getting knocked off by the elemental shaman, and the warlock being able to jump off and teleport back up to the top it became impossible to not get kited into the ground. I'm sorry but no map should so heavily favor certain classes. Has there even been talk of removing this map completely?

Deleted
    There were no ports/knockbacks in tbc

Has there even been talk of removing this map completely?
    every single day

Deleted
    Didn't the map get modified to have ramps attached to the stone pillars? saw a video showing it but I guess it got reverted?

What's wrong with a little flavour between the arenas, even if it does give an advantage to certain classes.

Isn't arena mainly about playing to the strength of your class and the environment?
    What's next? no pillar humping?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroneus View Post
    Isn't arena mainly about playing to the strength of your class and the environment?
    i wish there was no pillar humping
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    i wish there was no pillar humping
    Because of course, in war/combat, nobody ducks for cover to reload or to avoid being fired at.

You have to counter your enemies strengths and try to get them to avoid countering yours.

In the OP scenario, why not hide under the bridge/behind the pillars, let them come to you and make the first move.

Because of course, in war/combat, nobody ducks for cover to reload or to avoid being fired at.

You have to counter your enemies strengths and try to get them to avoid countering yours.

In the OP scenario, why not hide under the bridge/behind the pillars, let them come to you and make the first move.
    Well, in war/combat, there's a difference between "cover" and "Running around in a circle with your enemy less than 4 feet from you, unable to catch up to you"

That's actually what we tried to do. We tried to force them to come down to us, but every time they started getting raped they would run up the ramp and if we followed we got knocked off, and when we didn't the warlock would simply leap off and if we followed him he teleported back up. It's pretty game breaking. Then you have the Ele leaping all over the place with the Lock gateways, making him virtually unkillable because he can heal faster than you can close the gap.
    Last edited by achromatickang; 2013-07-08 at 12:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just asking, but what class are you and your partner playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Well, in war/combat, there's a difference between "cover" and "Running around in a circle with your enemy less than 4 feet from you, unable to catch up to you"
    Not in a gun fight, because being 4 feet away in real life would be who got the shot off first.

Considering that pillar humping would generally be a healer trying to avoid being damaged by a dps, try comparing it to a "sword" fight between someone with a machete (the dps) and someone with a stick (the healer), I'm quite sure the person with the stick would be running for their life around that pillar, the only hope they have of killing the machete wielder is to hit them at the right moment.

Deleted
    Pillar humping helps all the classes, z-axis maps dont.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next patch you'll be immune to "position altering abilities" for 10 seconds after being "altered from your position" (death grip doesn't fall under this category).

10+ Year Old Account

For this scenario, what happens is that they get enemies low on health-enemies teleport to top of bridge using gateway or w/e-knockback other team off bridge-heal to full.

Essentially a war of attrition- the only way to win is to use the time to recover when that other team recovers, and hope that you can burst 1 down while they are down below with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Emfg View Post
    Next patch you'll be immune to "position altering abilities" for 10 seconds after being "altered from your position" (death grip doesn't fall under this category).
    More helpful in RBGs with groups chain-knockbacking ppl off cliffs and stuff. Not so helpful in arena where not many comps have that many knockbacks.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, GC stated that at the time of creating these arenas, there wasn't any knockbacks/teleports like there are now, meaning that one couldn't get knocked off easily, and couldn't get back up easily (It was introduced in TBC, and the first knockbacks were introduced in Wrath in the form of Typhoon and Thunderstorm, both spec-specific. The first "teleport", Demonic Portal, was also introduced around this time unless I am mistaken, lvl 80 spell for locks)

Personally, I feel that it's fine- Pillar arena's really favor DoT/Pet classes over direct-damage classes, and this arena is one of the only ones that favor classes that don't have access to powerful DoTs and 50% of player damage pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

Deleted
    They really should put in game blacklisting 2 arenas or something like that or make Blade's Edge like it was on PTR at some point. At the moment it's just irritating as hell to play versus lock/ele.

Deleted
    You do realize that you can destroy the Locks gate?

Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    Just asking, but what class are you and your partner playing?
    This was obviously a melee cleave in 2s (LOL i know no one cares about 2s, but when you beat the same team 8 out of 10 times and only lose to them 2 times because of being on Blade's Edge Arena it's kind of whack).

Quote Originally Posted by gixer66 View Post
    You do realize that you can destroy the Locks gate?
    Easier said than done. If I stand there and whack on a gateway while an Ele and Warlock free-cast on me I'll be dead in seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by achromatickang View Post
    Which heavily favor Ele / Warlock teams.

Faced the same team like 10 times today, and literally only lost to them on Blade's Edge Arena because between getting knocked off by the elemental shaman, and the warlock being able to jump off and teleport back up to the top it became impossible to not get kited into the ground. I'm sorry but no map should so heavily favor certain classes. Has there even been talk of removing this map completely?
    So fight underneath? If a warlock pops up, los him and switch to their healer.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Roflifier View Post
    So fight underneath? If a warlock pops up, los him and switch to their healer.
    Ding ding ding. We have a winner.

If a Warlock jumps down, swap to his partner or healer. This will force him to port back up to peel. Once he's back up, swap back onto him. If both the Warlock and his partner jump down, hit the Warlock until he ports, then hit his partner. The warlock will either have to jump back down again (in which case you just swap onto him again) or the partner will use a CD so he can get back up too.

I understood blades edge complaints back in WotLK, but not in Cata and especially not in MoP. Nearly every class has some sort of mechanic which means they can get back up just as fast as the Warlock.

i have no idea, its a bridge in the middle of a boxed room with handicap accessible ramps instead of stairs. presumably built by stoners.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

Quote Originally Posted by Raugnaut View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

Anyway, GC stated that at the time of creating these arenas, there wasn't any knockbacks/teleports like there are now, meaning that one couldn't get knocked off easily, and couldn't get back up easily (It was introduced in TBC, and the first knockbacks were introduced in Wrath in the form of Typhoon and Thunderstorm, both spec-specific. The first "teleport", Demonic Portal, was also introduced around this time unless I am mistaken, lvl 80 spell for locks)
    Actually the first knock back was the 2 handed mace the unstoppable force, i think introduced in vanilla? So much QQ from casters, they made it a stun rather than a knock back.

I think i read they didn't get the extra ramps in Blade's edge in 5.3 because they didn't get the graphics the way they wanted it, the new ramps would be introduced in a later patch.

So much QQ about blades edge since it first came out, do you guys remember when there were big pikes around the pillars, you could even jump on one from the bottom to run up to the top of the pillar.

People QQ'd they were hard to run around and got stuck on them, so they were taken out...