Thread: WoW in China

WoW in China

I am a professor at UT. I'm also a huge fan of WoW. However I got a chance to spend time in China for almost 8 months. I was teaching Chemical Engineering to students in Beijing. I got to see first hand how few Chinese still play the game and just what they think about it. Let me just say, Blizzard is trying way to hard to keep subscribers in the Asian areas. The game is laughed at over there A LOT. It's considered too outdated and over done. Also the Pandaren theme, is very much hated over there. Many students would say it was insulting to their culture. They also mentioned many times, that the MoP expansion was targeted at Asian areas of the world. To most of my students, they felt it was a slap in the face. I will say this...you never stopped seeing WoW ads on TV in Beijing. There was at least one Blizzard ad, at least every commercial break.

So why then is Blizzard trying so hard to keep subscribers, who do not even enjoy their game-play anymore. They have changed raid locks, game-play, added Asian culture, and now even a cash shop.... You would think losing millions of players in the regions, who make them take the hint....

At what point does Blizzard not take the hint. Why not just focus on the US/EURO and be done? Also I am a avid WoW player. However if a cash shop in implemented... I will be quitting for good. Selling xp, rep, and gear gains is just cheating and so low.

So how do you feel? I'm curious.
    Last edited by Gamerguy3223; 2013-07-09 at 06:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerguy3223 View Post
    However if a cash shop in implemented... I will be quitting for good. Selling xp, rep, and gear gains is just cheating and so low.

So how do you feel? I'm curious.
    We have 3 or so cash-shop related threads open right now in Gen. Please post your thoughts in one of those threads. Thanks