Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I'd have to say Jade Empire was my biggest jaw dropper. It was made even bigger since I was SO sure that the "end" was the actual end. Before even playing the game, I had seen what the final boss was like back when G4 was a thing. After liking the gameplay I saw, I ended up getting the game, got to said boss, then BAM plot twist.

To be fair, the plot twist is conveluted as all hell, but the story does lead up to it well enough that it can make some sense, and everything that happens after is is pretty well done.

I'd also say Bioshock. Though, that's probably because I only half-payed attention to the game's dialogue leading up to it. Then it came crashing back to me as it happened.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithfir View Post
    Hmm I'd say Xenogears. I didn't expect the story to go where it went...
    I'm not sure even it knew where it was going. The final disc was all sorts of crazy.

Deleted
    Final Fantasy VII, nuff said :P

If you dont know what I mean then go play and find out

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Its fully up for debate, but Mass Effect 3. Infact there is a plot twist in both major interpretations, its just the one I put stock into is a compelte mindscrew that somehow makes complete sense when you logically think about it.

If you know it you know what I'm on about. And if you don't then hopefully you work it out by yourself when you play the game.

The main character, Shepard, gets talked into siding with the enemy in the last 5 minutes by a ghostly hologram of a child he/she saw die at the start of the game.

Make what you will of that, when you consider the enemy often use a technique called Indoctrination that slowly twists the minds of mortals exposed to them or their technology for too long into agreeing with the Reapers' plans and methods, and to turn against their allies. All without realising it. Symptoms of neural degradation include hallucinations, voices, vivid dreams, shared memories and sudden personality changes. All of which could be argued to have happened since the beginning of the game.

The best part is how many players also fell for it and didn't even wonder how suspitious it was that after battling for weeks/months and being slaughtered constantly they are suddenly given one of the three choices by a species that is utterly arrogant and coldhearted in their machine logic. Or that two of the choices leave the Reapers alive and empowered, and only one destroys them (and this one is discouraged with veiled threats). Why would a machine offer you the option to destroy, dominate or merge with them when they clearly are winning and can do whatever they want to you?

When the choice is false.

And I'm sure someone will get snarky with me and call me a cultist. Don't worry, I'm used to idiots by now.

...still doesn't mean the game itself is 'good', but the story is.
    I'm not gonna call you a cultist, but you really should pay more attention to dev statements. Casey Hudson, the lead dev for ME3, said on his twitter that that theory is false and is something that Bioware in no way ever considered while they were making ME3. Him and the other devs were actually shocked at how creative the fans were being with stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    The reason most players "fell for" IT is because it's fan-fiction and doesn't stand up to scrutiny. I do like the (canon) reasons behind the Reapers motives but I'm not sure it counts as a twist.
    Predicted this responce. And of course you're wrong. It stands up well to scrutiny that isn't 'bad writing'.

Also, IT is the explaination. Not fan fiction. We wrote nothing in addition to the story. Just because you can't see what the story is telling you, didn't read all the codex entries, didn't pay attention to the details isn't my concern.

[spoilers]And also, Reapers aren't evil? Uh huh. Keep justifying that while standing on the bodies of trillions of dead, while millions more are turned into living machines that are clearly in pain while they butcher their former friends and family (you tell me Banshees aren't in agony, or that chopping a Turian and a Yahg to pieces and sewing them back together wrong is 'logical' (and yes, Brutes are clearly Yahg not Krogan). The Reapers have been killing people for a billion years because they weren't given proper instructions? THAT is bad writing![/spoilers]

But hey, bad writing amirite?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The reapers where never cold hearted, the reason they where wiping out advanced species each cycle was to protect the galaxy against the chaos it would bring letting them keep existing, same reason as to why they left the humans untouched when they where mostly cave men prior to early civilization during the Prothean life cycle. They are bringing order through chaos so to speak by wiping out advanced species before things go out of control.

There's logic behind their goals but their methods are the thing i do not agree with, which is the reason i went with destroy.
    And yet they decide enough is enough and they will give up this quest of theirs the moment someone steps up onto a part of the Citadel that supposedly no-one else ever has before, despite being nearly dead? Uh huh. Via a platform with no controls, that clearly needed to be activated by someone else? Uh huh. And didn't bother defending the Citadel at all? Uh huh. And two of those options given just happen to line up with the goals of two of Shepard's defeated enemies? Uh huh.

The reason they leave primative species alone is because they only want to kill those who are a threat to them, and can be harvested to make more Reapers. We are crops to them, and harvesting crops too soon isn't effecient.

Don't talk as if I don't know what people assume the story is telling them. Because its so transparent that its hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I'm not gonna call you a cultist, but you really should pay more attention to dev statements. Casey Hudson, the lead dev for ME3, said on his twitter that that theory is false and is something that Bioware in no way ever considered while they were making ME3. Him and the other devs were actually shocked at how creative the fans were being with stuff like that.
    Link me that twitter. Because no-one ever has, despite claiming this MULTIPLE TIMES.

Also, they did originally plan on having Shepard lose control at the end, but dropped the 'gameplay elements' due to engine limitations. Now THAT I can back up since its in the 'Final Hours' application.

So you are wrong. Sorry, but pulling shit out of your ass doesn't work.

Predicted this responce. And of course you're wrong. It stands up well to scrutiny that isn't 'bad writing'.

Also, IT is the explaination. Not fan fiction. We wrote nothing in addition to the story. Just because you can't see what the story is telling you, didn't read all the codex entries, didn't pay attention to the details isn't my concern.

[spoilers]And also, Reapers aren't evil? Uh huh. Keep justifying that while standing on the bodies of trillions of dead, while millions more are turned into living machines that are clearly in pain while they butcher their former friends and family (you tell me Banshees aren't in agony, or that chopping a Turian and a Yahg to pieces and sewing them back together wrong is 'logical' (and yes, Brutes are clearly Yahg not Krogan). The Reapers have been killing people for a billion years because they weren't given proper instructions? THAT is bad writing![/spoilers]

But hey, bad writing amirite?

- - - Updated - - -

And yet they decide enough is enough and they will give up this quest of theirs the moment someone steps up onto a part of the Citadel that supposedly no-one else ever has before, despite being nearly dead? Uh huh. Via a platform with no controls, that clearly needed to be activated by someone else? Uh huh. And didn't bother defending the Citadel at all? Uh huh. And two of those options given just happen to line up with the goals of two of Shepard's defeated enemies? Uh huh.

The reason they leave primative species alone is because they only want to kill those who are a threat to them, and can be harvested to make more Reapers. We are crops to them, and harvesting crops too soon isn't effecient.

Don't talk as if I don't know what people assume the story is telling them. Because its so transparent that its hilarious.

- - - Updated - - -

Link me that twitter. Because no-one ever has, despite claiming this MULTIPLE TIMES.

Also, they did originally plan on having Shepard lose control at the end, but dropped the 'gameplay elements' due to engine limitations. Now THAT I can back up since its in the 'Final Hours' application.

So you are wrong. Sorry, but pulling shit out of your ass doesn't work.
    I'm not gonna go digging around twitter for you. Ask on BSN if you really care, as I'm sure dozens of people there have the link saved.

The ending to The witch's house. I love that game.

FFX. From beginning to end really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    FFX. From beginning to end really.
    Actually, I remember playing the end of that game and being so, so angry. lol. I was really mad!
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

It was one game that brought out a lot of feelings in me. I was just a kid back then so it didn't help matters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    It was one game that brought out a lot of feelings in me. I was just a kid back then so it didn't help matters.
    It's funny, I didn't even realize until later that it broke the mold in terms of plotlines for the genre. It was the first FF game I'd played, and it's the reason why I went back to play the others.

It's also why I was mad at X-2, as well. LOL
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

In Pokemon yellow edition when it turns out Mewtwo was a genetic experiment!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherRae View Post
    Actually, I remember playing the end of that game and being so, so angry. lol. I was really mad!
    FFX and the change from FF13 to FF13-2 was pretty shocking, but in a bad way. All of a sudden time travel is just thrown in with gods and crazy stuff. Still a good game but i wish it took a different direction
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

I would have to say KoTOR was definitely one of my favorites.

Also for the original xbox a game "phantom dust" the ending caught me off guard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    FFX and the change from FF13 to FF13-2 was pretty shocking, but in a bad way. All of a sudden time travel is just thrown in with gods and crazy stuff. Still a good game but i wish it took a different direction
    I was actually mad because I was pissed it didn't have the happy ending I wanted.

I honestly didn't play 13. Nothing I saw about it appealed to me in the slightest.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    In KOTOR when Revan unmasked and it turned out to be you.
    Yeah in retrospect it wasn't the most amazing twist ever, but the thing was you had no idea the game would have a twist at all so you totally didn't see it coming. Awesome moment, completely changed the game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I'd say that theory is PTSD from dealing with the trauma of how bad the ending to ME3 was. The truth the ending was exactly what it said it was

I think the extended ending DLC fixed some of the worst of it, but it's still not good. What a shame, the middle part of ME3 was just spectacular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The theory falls down when you realise that the Catalyst gave Shepard a one-in-three chance to destroy the Reapers, which doesn't make sense unless the plan goes beyond rawr-evil-monsters. I can appreciate the events following Shepard entering the beam only existing in his head (or a computer AI like the Geth consensus) but in that case the TIM/Anderson conversation would have been resisting indoctrination.

And also, Reapers aren't evil? Uh huh. Keep justifying that while standing on the bodies of trillions of dead, while millions more are turned into living machines that are clearly in pain while they butcher their former friends and family (you tell me Banshees aren't in agony, or that chopping a Turian and a Yahg to pieces and sewing them back together wrong is 'logical' (and yes, Brutes are clearly Yahg not Krogan). The Reapers have been killing people for a billion years because they weren't given proper instructions? THAT is bad writing!
    Welcome to the cosmic scale, the suffering of something so relatively tiny and limited doesn't register to the Reapers any more than pruning a rose bush or using anti-bacterial sprays counts as "evil" to us. I have no idea why you'd think their converted troopers are in agony, clearly that would be counter-productive as it would mess with whatever qualities the Reapers were trying to exploit.

Yes, because the existence of the Crucible and Shepard's presence on the Citadel gives rise to new possibilities. The cycle is broken and something new has to take its place, and the Crucible gives three options.

I appreciate the agricultural metaphor but you're getting it the wrong way around, the Reapers exist to serve the Cycle, not the other way around. The Catalyst sees the galaxy as a garden to be tended, not a field to be exploited.

In Starwars when we found out that Darth Vader was lukes father, mind blown.

15+ Year Old Account
    The AC3 plot-twist that isnt really a plot twist, but more of a "YOU GOT PUNK'D, KIDS" moment.

Deleted
    in mgs2 when the entire mission was a virtual mission