[Music] Getting an artist out to a larger audience?

Hey MMO-Champ Forum People! I hope you're having a lovely day and summer! I have a bit of a different post today - It might get a bit long, so bare with me please.

Basically, the title explains it quite a bit. I'll add a bit of context first to make sure things make sense for you all though.

My name is Kyle. My big brother, Liam Andrew, is a musician, and a rather good one at that. He makes a pretty unique style of singer/songwriter music. His problem is, he is far too "musician" based when it comes to his mindset, regarding his music. So here I am, annoyed that his stuff isn't getting more attention, as it deserves. I'm not saying everyone has to love the genre of music he makes or anything, but I would love to help when it comes to both getting his name out there, and helping him get the mindset he will need in order to make a living off of his stuff.

So, why am I posting here? First and most importantly, I was hoping to get some ideas on how I, as his brother, could help in spreading his name around. So far, I have thought of the obvious things - Printing flyers and handing them out, sharing the music with friends. I have also been thinking of holding some sort of facebook "Like & Share" thing with some sort of prize for people (Although I wouldn't know what to have as a prize, don't have much to my name.). So I thought to myself, I have a pretty large, and mostly helpful community of people on Warcraft and MMO-Champion. Maybe one or two new ideas could spawn from them, which would be of use.. Maybe one of you has some more experience in this particular marketing part of things.

So, long story short. I could use some ideas in how to get a relatively unknown musicians music out to a larger audience, and I am hoping some of you guys would be able to give some fresh ideas on, not only getting the name out there, but also in motivating my brother to be more aware of the importance of getting his name out there, if he wants to be able to get his music and his messages across to people.

Thanks a bunch for reading this lads and ladies. I hope it doesn't come off as an annoyance in any way. I am simply a younger sibling that wants the best for his talented older brother.

Kyle Jobey (Algorath)

ps. It is probably not allowed to advertise on the forums, so I will do it indirectly, hoping that's allowed. If any of you feel you have the time and desire to give some of his tracks a listen, you can find them on youtube, by searching for Liam Andrew.. I would be over the moon if you did, and left him some feedback there and/or spread the word if you like what you hear!
    Last edited by Algorath; 2013-07-08 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typo

Try working for a big label.

You need a gimmick. People love gimmicks.

There's lots of amazing indie art out there. So you need to come up with some kind of gimmick in order to stand out.

Where are you from?

How you get noticed depends a lot of where you are. Different places have different audiences, and different ways to bring music to them. And different problems.

I'm a musician too, and just like your brother I'm trying to find ways to get my music noticed. It isn't easy. Competition is fierce. For every talented musician, there are thousands more who are trying to find their way to fame. My advice is, work hard, be consistent within your work (not "good". I mean, your brother doesn't have to be an extremely technical player/singer to be noticed, he just has to do what he wants to do without being sloopy in his music), learn how to find the right opportunities. Then there's luck, but luck doesn't come up and knock your door. You search for it.

But most important of all: get out there and let your music be heard. Too many people make the mistake of putting videos on youtube and wait for fame. It doesn't work like that, save for a few exceptions. Go play your music in public. Play gigs in pubs, festivals, whatever. Don't stay at home. And get in contact with people. The age of the untouchable primadonna has passed. Nowadays, pretty much every musician have twitter and facebook accounts for a reason.

Well, at least, that's the mindset I'm using. I hope it works for me

The guy who said to find a label is also correct, I believe. But labels aren't everything, and remember your brother is competing with loads of other artists for a place in the label. Besides, major labels can be a pain in the ass

Btw, just watched the dude in youtube. He seems to already have some experience, and most of the tips I gave, he probably already is aware of it. So, I think the best tips that I'm aware of and that I can give is, go out there, and, at some point, look for either a label OR an alternative. Some people are promoting their music through independent means. It's harder, but possible, and in fact, it seems that is becoming the next big trend in music
    Last edited by Knight Gil; 2013-07-09 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks for the answers guys, sorry about the late answer, fell asleep last night

We are living in Denmark, Knight Gil. And yeah, it does seem like individual progression without a record label seems to be catching on more and more frequently nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Algorath View Post
    Thanks for the answers guys, sorry about the late answer, fell asleep last night

We are living in Denmark, Knight Gil. And yeah, it does seem like individual progression without a record label seems to be catching on more and more frequently nowadays.
    A fellow dane. Well i better listen to his music then

Edit: Not really my kind of music, i doubt i would listen to it... but i shall share it nonetheless.

Labels get so much shit sent to them(and some of it totally unrelated to the music policy of the label, trust me I've seen it with my own eyes lol) that some good things get lost in the masses of crap. I'd say get out and network if you can. Try and score gigs at local rock/pop nights.

Get in touch with people who are passionate about the genre(easy with the internet nowdays), and I don't mean the big labels, but small-medium sized, hard working, music loving label managers. Even better if you can get to know these people face-to-face, in most cities(i don't know where you live), people generally hang out at the same club nights/parties, getting a foot in the door and learning to know them will help, basically try and get that local expertise if you can.

Pretty much every band and artist(that I know, including Kapten Röd to take one example who has become quite big - http://www.reggaesthlm.se/wp-content...alaset.jpg.jpg ) from my area started out working on getting that grass root support. Of course some people get signed straight up by a major label, but those are few and far between.

As much els in life, who you know is an important factor.

There is always the option of actually starting up your own label to of course, thats easy, to make that work is hard work though.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-07-09 at 01:30 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...