Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

WW Mastery redesigned (again) - Time to get 'rebalanced' (again)

Windwalker

Mastery: Bottled Fury has been redesigned. The Mastery now gives a chance to generate an additional charge of Tigereye Brew when the Monk gains one normally.
    Tigereye Brew received a number of adjustments.
    Stacks up to 30 charges (up from 20 charges).
    Can be consumed 15 at a time (up from 10 at a time).
    Increases damage by 5% per stack, (up from 1% per stack) but is no longer increased by Mastery.
    The Monk gains 1 charge of Tigereye Brew for every 4 Chi spent (down from 1 charge per 3 Chi spent).
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/2...-ptr-now-live/
    The red text.

I agree that a change was needed, but this seems pretty big and makes me unsure of where we will end up dps wise once again. Let's hope they over tune it for the start of progress for me at least!

Ugh.. this seems like a gigantic nerf.

It's really not a nerf, though it might seem to be.

Essentially this is removing the necessity of RoRO, while giving us more control over WHEN we get our significant damage buffs. Our max stack consumption benefits will drop from 130-160% to 75%, but with the new mastery we'll be able to generate the stacks required much faster, and more importantly not have to wait around for a proc from a trinket in order to utilize it.

Also, this allows monks in PVP to generate stacks faster, and get a greater benefit from consuming tigereye before getting max stacks, which should help with pressure damage in arena's.

Essentially, this could be a pretty important change, and don't judge it yet. Play with it first. I'm going to be totally happy with not HAVING to have RoRO to be effective.

um no...

I was already over 180 and that doesn't even include next tier's gear.
    65% WITHOUT RUNE!
    50%~ up time which is just an educated guess
    Unless with this mastery I have some godly 80-90% up time it's a huge nerf.
    Last edited by Jayma; 2013-07-09 at 01:11 AM.

It's a huge nerf, it takes 60 Chi ignoring the new Mastery to grant 75% damage increase. Down from 30 Chi for around 200%.

Welcome to being the new class.

Of course it won't be a buff because it breaks the OPness that is Rune. If this change sticks I would expect compensation later in the PTR cycle (eg buffs across the board).

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

TBH all WW had was it's damage scaling.
    Still Zero utility and now average damage? with poor scaling?

What does a monk bring to the table?

10+ Year Old Account
    I imagine that the proc chance increase from mastery rating will be significant enough that if you had a high amount of mastery you would expect an extra charge most of the time.

I don't see the reason for cutting back to 4 chi per charge when they're increasing the stack size to 15/30 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    I imagine that the proc chance increase from mastery rating will be significant enough that if you had a high amount of mastery you would expect an extra charge most of the time.

I don't see the reason for cutting back to 4 chi per charge when they're increasing the stack size to 15/30 though.
    Probably to offset the mastery somewhat so your charge generation isn't ridiculously higher than before.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

So it's now 60 chi for 15 stacks for a 75% boost, instead of 30 chi for 10 stacks for whatever your RoRo proc is giving you.

Hm.

From the wording ("chance to generate an additional charge of Tigereye Brew") it sounds like it can't ever generate multiple charges, so there's a cap at 100% proc rate. Even if they were dumb enough to allow us to hit that cap in the one raid tier left in the expansion, that'd still only bring it back down to 30 chi needed (the same as on live), so this change is almost certainly going to make TEB usage be slower than on live.

So we have:
    * damage bonus fixed at 75%
    * a full stack takes twice as long to generate at 0 mastery
    * adding mastery brings the time-to-stack back towards where it is today, but no faster.

Even in a best-case scenario, this is a nerf to anyone who averages a 75% or better bonus from TEB on live. It's also clearly a buff for monks with low mastery; at 0 mastery it'll be 60 chi for a 75% buff instead of 30 chi for -- um, actually I don't know how much you get at 0 mastery on live. 26%? It's less than 37.5% anyway. So at 2x the cooldown for more than 2x the damage bonus, it's a clear buff to burst and a small buff to sustained.

It certainly breaks RoRo though, since mastery will matter across the whole duration of the fight instead of just at the instant that you push the TEB button.

I think I can say this before even doing the exact Math with reasonable confidence.

Given next tier's gear Ilvls even if I were to have 100% up time on Tigereye Brew (which is very very unlikely) it would still be a nerf.

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    Probably to offset the mastery somewhat so your charge generation isn't ridiculously higher than before.
    You can always switch to BrM. Only a 18% dmg nerf on Keg Smash.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    If the cap is 75% which is ridiculously low doesn't the charge generation need to be ridiculously high?

This change sucks quite a bit, but I'm super happy about removing the reliance on RoRO. Honestly, I'm more upset about the 18% nerf to keg smash damage

Cya WW. Time to get my rogue caught up on the legendary quest chain so I can at least provide Smoke Bomb.

Hint: they have just started the numbers tuning for other classes, so likely there will be buffs in other areas to compensate.

God dammit. We raised concerns about RoR before they changed our mastery at the start of ToT and they just nerfed us by 20% instead.

Now we're getting this.

Unless something fucking major happens, this is terrible.

It's a quality of life improvement that can easily be tweaked into form. No more procs between pools, right before a head dies, right before windstorm, etc...

Yeah, sometimes you hit the jackpot when you needed to, but generally our new ability to better control our burst will often make us better for our raids.

The real question to me is how many hot-fixes it takes them to get the tweaking right, that's what we should be worried about.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezka View Post
    It's a quality of life improvement that can easily be tweaked into form. No more procs between pools, right before a head dies, right before windstorm, etc...

Yeah, sometimes you hit the jackpot when you needed to, but generally our new ability to better control our burst will often make us better for our raids.

The real question to me is how many hot-fixes it takes them to get the tweaking right, that's what we should be worried about.
    or if they care enough about WW to hotfix anything.