Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Dead baby pictures on Facebook.

Hey everyone, since this is a great place for random opinions, I have an interesting question for you all!

I recently started a Facebook account and have not added any friends yet or done much with it beyond creating it. I have everything set to private. So today I got an email from Facebook "people you may know?" I wondered what kind of criteria Facebook used to determine if I knew these people. Out of curiosity I opened up the first friend recommendation and...

Then it hit me like a truck, a big picture of a dead infant with blood draining from it's nose. After I was done being shocked, I looked over the page again to see if I could figure out why Facebook decided I might know this person. I imagine it was just a random guess that Facebook thought I knew this woman, it was just odd. Does anyone else think this is a good idea for a public image?

(note: just cause)
    The Facebook account belonged to a mom posting a picture of her dead child. There were several comments on the image from other posts saying they're sorry or miss the kid. I imagine they're probably friends/family. It does not appear this woman posted this image online to offend or shock anyone, just out of personal interest. I didn't post a link because I didn't think it was a mature thing to do.

Edit: I sent the mother a private message explaining how awkward it was for me to get an email with her Facebook profile and the images I saw. I don't know of her response, but I felt like explaining everything in a message was the most mature way I could of handled it. (Now I know I could "live and let die" but for some reason, I felt really involved in this whole situation, I didn't feel like I could ignore it without over-thinking it.)
    Last edited by Asaya; 2013-07-09 at 02:30 AM.

That's amazingly creepy.

One of my old work friends lost two babies to medical complications (they only lived less than a day each) and I often found her coping mechanisms bizarre. I didn't really understand, but I just tried to support her as best as I could, precisely because I don't understand. I don't think understanding why grieving parents act in ways that are confusing to us is always important; just acknowledging that they feel how they do is enough.

It's kind of odd that out of the blue you would have been linked to this person. I don't find it odd for ppl to pet pictures of their dead child, however. I have a unique perspective. I spent my nursing career work in the NICU and the PICU. It is quite common to photograph dead infants and small children. The parents have little memories to share with friends and family and its a way for them to preserve and share what little they have. Again, it's odd it made its way to you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asaya View Post
    Hey everyone, since this is a great place for random opinions, I have an interesting question for you all!

I recently started a Facebook account and have not added any friends yet or done much with it beyond creating it. I have everything set to private. So today I got an email from Facebook "people you may know?" I wondered what kind of criteria Facebook used to determine if I knew these people. Out of curiosity I opened up the first friend recommendation and...

Then it hit me like a truck, a big picture of a dead infant with blood draining from it's nose. After I was done being shocked, I looked over the page again to see if I could figure out why Facebook decided I might know this person. I imagine it was just a random guess that Facebook thought I knew this woman, it was just odd. Does anyone else think this is a good idea for a public image?

The Facebook account belonged to a mom posting a picture of her dead child. There were several comments on the image from other posts saying they're sorry or miss the kid. I imagine they're probably friends/family. It does not appear this woman posted this image online to offend or shock anyone, just out of personal interest. I didn't post a link because I didn't think it was a mature thing to do.
    I hate people posting stuff like this because you have no chance of "choosing" if you want to see it. Same thing about all them beaten and tortured animals

To be fair, there were three different profiles in the email link of "people you might know." It wasn't just exclusively this one mother and her dead infant, but it was still included in the list of the three potential friends.

I feel like if a parent decides "Hey my kid just died better post a picture of its dead body on facebook" they probably weren't a very good parent to begin with...

Anyway, that's rather creepy, I have no idea how Facebook decides who you know and who you don't usually it goes off mutual friends but if you have an account with no friends pretty sure it just picks random people from your area, if you didn't set your area then I think it just gives you random people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I feel like if a parent decides "Hey my kid just died better post a picture of its dead body on facebook" they probably weren't a very good parent to begin with...
    Your feeling is entirely wrong in this case.

I have no idea how Facebook decides who you know and who you don't usually it goes off mutual friends but if you have an account with no friends pretty sure it just picks random people from your area, if you didn't set your area then I think it just gives you random people.
    I just posted my state as far as location was concerned. I made a Facebook just for the fact of having one, but I didn't elaborate on anything. Didn't add any friends, favorites, hobbies or anything. My Facebook is literally just a name with the minimum basic information, and even then the majority of it is set to private.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asaya View Post

Why anyone would post a photo of their own dead child on facebook I'll never understand... Why'd you put other people through something like that? It's a horrible, sad thing but you don't freaking publish it on facebook.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Why anyone would post a photo of their own dead child on facebook I'll never understand... Why'd you put other people through something like that? It's a horrible, sad thing but you don't freaking publish it on facebook.
    Which is why they give you the option of reporting graphic photos, which I assume a bleeding dead baby falls under.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Keep it at least to "friends only" or "group only".

Which is why they give you the option of reporting graphic photos, which I assume a bleeding dead baby falls under.
    Now, I hate being rude to the mother, because I feel she should be entitled to her freedom of posting something like that on Facebook, because that's what Facebook is for. However, I do feel like it crosses the line to post a picture of a dead baby in a public page. So even though I feel bad doing it, do you know how I would go about reporting the image on Facebook or maybe just let her know that she should make the image as private only?

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that's kind of sickening. :\ If you're new to the site though, just ignore all lot of those random suggestions. Really I think there are a lot of fake pages out there, some for sketchy reasons.

Possible that a photo like that might be against Facebook's terms.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a number of times gone total psycho nerd rage at people for some of the things they post to Facebook, I've deleted them from my Facebook and even removed them as friends from my life. Posting pictures of your children potty training while they're on the potty and the results is NOT something that EVER needs to be in the public domain. People are so incredibly stupid too, they think that just because their page is "private" that suddenly no one can see their stupid pictures, wrong!, they can be seen. The only types of pictures that really send me skyrocketing are things like this - it is NOT necessary to show pictures of dead people or pictures of violence or any of that crap.

I also don't get why people would want to see it either but that's just me.

Deleted
    Yeah I've seen a few pages dotted around with those on. The comments are the worst... "Oh, he's so beautiful!" No, he's not. He's dead, covered in blood and covered in internals. Why the fuck would they post that to Facebook?

I'm not squeamish so it doesn't bother me in the slightest, but I just don't understand why they would upload it to Facebook or anywhere. Hell, I don't even know why they would want to take a picture of it in the first place. "This is me and your father on our first anniversary. This is you when you were 6 with your Grandmother. This is your dead, nasty-as-fuck looking brother"... Like seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, use the *report image* option and then let it be.
    One of my old nextdoor neighbors was friends with me on facebook, he was in the Korean war, and suffered from PTSD. One day I see he's posted up some pictures of cadavers..one which was him and a few guy posing next to half a body. I hit the report image button, and i'm guessing a few other people did. A week or two later he started flipping out about some *cowards* who reported his images and didn't confront him directly...needless to say..just report in the future.

The mother should have kept it private. Such things are not meant for public Facebook. Too many people post way too personal things on Facebook without realizing it's public and millions of users can see it.

I think messages like: "R.I.P. grandfather" (or something similar) is already too much. Why do you need to share that on Facebook? If you want people to know what happened with your grandfather you can send those people a private message instead of sending it to your 500 "friends" who don't want to know. Looks more like seeking for attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    You really want to report a picture of a grieving mother instead of just sending a polite message? Maybe she didn't notice.

Deleted
    sounds like some anti-abortion picture sent round by a nutcase.

yet another perfect reason to NEVER do facebook..... god...

Google 'Your poison womb is making Heaven too crowded' if you want a laugh at the expense of these freaks.