Thread: Prot Nerfs

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Avoidance is alot more unattractive because of the super heavy DR on Dodge/Parry, with Dodge suffering more from DR. If anyone remembers Illidan, having active mitigation was essential for dealing with Shear.

Quote Originally Posted by rawhammer View Post
    im not convinced that block from mastery does suffer from DR tbh....ill have to check in game at some point, unless someone here can blindly says it does/doesnt.
    Allow me to save you some work: it does. Block is on its own diminishing returns formula with a different cap from dodge and parry.
    http://www.sacredduty.net/2012/09/14...-mop-followup/

Regarding the ideal dodge/parry ratio discussion: There is definitely an "ideal" ratio where you balance the two diminishing returns curve, and that ratio changes as you increase the amount of avoidance you're balancing. The parry contribution from strength (but not from base strength) is also included in the diminishing returns calculation, as is the miniscule amount of dodge we get from agility (it's 1% per 10k Agility before DR, and again, base agility isn't subject to DR).

The entire conversation about balancing parry and dodge is also utterly pointless, though. The only reason we cared at all in Cataclysm was that we had nothing else to do. Once you reached block cap, the only thing you could do with reforging was shuffle dodge and parry around since hit and expertise weren't a large concern. The practical benefit of maintaining the "ideal" dodge/parry ratio is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, because you're looking at increasing your overall avoidance by hundredths of a percent.

Nowadays though, we have other options. We're far more likely to reforge into haste where we can, so it's not worth trying to balance dodge/parry anymore because it generally means losing out on haste. And in the few cases where it doesn't, the impact is so small as to be negligible.

Also, for those concerned, apparently GC tweeted that GbtL is going to 15%.
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...84712644509696

^ Basically what I said on the previous page: worrying about D/P balancing at this stage is such a non-issue that it's not even relevant. Unless you're trying to review it in terms of stochastic reduction over hugely long iterations, just reforge as normal. Thanks for clearing up the STR contributions DR for me though.

And huzzah @ that GC tweet, should be no worries now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    yeah so sky was never falling - no mana issues, BH change isn't a bad one for the game, and the GC change isn't a game breaker (albeit odd in the multi-add tanking abuse scenario).

No proper prot nerfs as yet. (go get those monks!)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Theck View Post
    The entire conversation about balancing parry and dodge is also utterly pointless, though. The only reason we cared at all in Cataclysm was that we had nothing else to do. Once you reached block cap, the only thing you could do with reforging was shuffle dodge and parry around since hit and expertise weren't a large concern. The practical benefit of maintaining the "ideal" dodge/parry ratio is fairly insignificant in the grand scheme of things, because you're looking at increasing your overall avoidance by hundredths of a percent.
    It's pointless at the moment for sure, I was more thinking on add fights in SoO where our stat prio might be

Hit > Exp > Haste > Avoidance > Mast

Where Hit, Exp, and Haste are all capped at that point reforging Mast into Dodge will be slightly better than into Parry, admittedly still fairly minor tho.

Was just that I've seen several people saying how Dodge is worth even less than Parry when infact it's the other way round for most well geared Paladins.

Prot passive now restores 15% total mana every 2 seconds, up from 6% every 2 seconds.

Dunno if this is enough, but blizz is definitely aware of prot's mana consuming needs.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Kinda wish it stayed the way it was to be honest. Can't wait to see this Haste fad you guys are so big on going away. It's a terrible idea and it's getting wayyyy out of hand, not just for Paladins but tanks in general. So many tanks I see now wearing DPS gear, DPS trinkets, DPS enchants...it's gone on long enough. Hope Blizzard fixes it soon.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Kinda wish it stayed the way it was to be honest. Can't wait to see this Haste fad you guys are so big on going away. It's a terrible idea and it's getting wayyyy out of hand, not just for Paladins but tanks in general. So many tanks I see now wearing DPS gear, DPS trinkets, DPS enchants...it's gone on long enough. Hope Blizzard fixes it soon.
    Yeah how dare they make tanking interactive and give us access to interesting stats.
    Let's go back to random passive mitigation and 969, because those were they days.

P.S. f*** off.

Yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    Yeah how dare they make tanking interactive and give us access to interesting stats.
    Let's go back to random passive mitigation and 969, because those were they days.

P.S. f*** off.
    3 excellent points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Hey now I liked 969 but the whole concept of tank stats is what needs to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    3 excellent points.
    Totally worth the 5 infraction points.

Deleted
    Should considering rewording your quote of PaladinBash Nairobi. I got infracted for that exact same quote once.

Man, you're not gonna be happy.

Originally Posted by Lore
    We know you guys like active mitigation. We like it too. We totally agree -- it feels a lot better (and a lot more fun) than passive mitigation.

However, in the short term, dodge and parry still exist. We want them to serve at least some value to tanks. They don't have to be your best stats, we just want them to feel like they're at least accomplishing something.

Looking to the future, we want to keep the idea of "tank" stats around, but they may end up playing less of a role than they do today. Between Dodge and Parry, it's entirely possible that we'll cut one or another and embrace the idea of active mitigation even further.

Give me back 102.4% combat table coverage, then I'll give a flying fuck about avoidance.

I like the way our class plays now. I don't mind grand crusader changes, getting a proc 1 out of every 10 enemy melee swings is ok with me.

Deleted
    sad sad

Quote Originally Posted by haimo View Post
    sad sad
    Did you bother reading ? We're not getting nerfed and possibly getting buffed.

As a Prot coming back from WOTLK, this is hilariously cynical sounding.