View Poll Results: Opinion Game Store

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, let the store come to EU/US

73 28.08%
  • No, Please Don't let it ever come here.

152 58.46%
  • Maybe in the future, not now.

35 13.46%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Holyground View Post
    Hyperbole, and incorrect. I am a casual player not real raiding at all this expac. Would love an xp boost, just so I can have fun doing dungeons and things on alts. I enjoy leveling once then would love to try out different classes at max level. Don't have a main don't have the cloak but off raiding on different characters is really fun! Heal one night then dps the next. Play whenever.

hell I only lfr t14 because it's fun
    Has it not occurred to you that you just might be the exception and not the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Has it not occurred to you that you just might be the exception and not the rule?
    Hyperbole a figure of speech that is purposefully exaggerated for effect.

saying all casuals do or do not do something is hyperbole. I was contradicting you by showing you a casual that doesn't fall into your stereotype.

more to the point having this enables doesn't hurt people who don't want it. I dont understand people sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyground View Post
    Hyperbole a figure of speech that is purposefully exaggerated for effect.

saying all casuals do or do not do something is hyperbole. I was contradicting you by showing you a casual that doesn't fall into your stereotype.

more to the point having this enables doesn't hurt people who don't want it. I dont understand people sometimes.

Well thank you for the explanation. I guess it is lucky that I never said that all casual players did or did not do something or ,even, anything.

You keep saying that casual players are the target of this but a casual player is not in any rush to reach max level the people that you can guarantee will buy this are raiders who are rushing to complete end game content.
    I'm pretty sure you did.

Helllllll no. The web site store doesn't even need to exist, much less tainting the in game environment. Unless WoW is going f2p? In which case, sure it'll need an in game cash shop. I hadn't heard it was yet although the ever plummeting sub numbers and realm merges would imply it's on the way. Maybe they know something we don't, but as it stands with a 15/mo sub lord no it doesn't need an in game cash shop.

You keep saying that casual players are the target of this but a casual player is not in any rush to reach max level the people that you can guarantee will buy this are raiders who are rushing to complete end game content.
    That's an unwarranted generalization and defining the behavior of 'casual players' in ways that may or may not have validity.

Well thank you for the explanation. I guess it is lucky that I never said that all casual players did or did not do something or ,even, anything.
    You did though. Right there in the boldfaced part. You might not have meant to but you surely said that. I could say something like 'a casual player is not likely to have any alts' which is ridiculous on the face of it. And the plain fact is that many casual players who have alts may well be in a rush to get to 90. Especially if they've done it a few times already.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-07-09 at 11:53 PM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

There is no need for a subscription and a in-game shop.

It's just aimed at the entire playerbase pretty much. Both engaged / commited and casual players are going to be quick to buy some extra convenience from a store. Because c'mon, when asked the question: "Would you enjoy some extra convenience?" Nobody is going to answer: "NO! I'M A MAJOR MASOCHIST AND CONVENIENCE DEPRESSES ME!"

Everyone is going to be very very tempted to buy extra convenience, everybody likes more convenience in the games they enjoy. Convenience sells like hot cakes in games. (Else all these "Pay for extra jimmy-jammies $5 each!"-games wouldn't constantly be made for facebook.)
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦ INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    Everyone is going to be very very tempted to buy extra convenience, everybody likes more convenience in the games they enjoy. Convenience sells like hot cakes in games. (Else all these "Pay for extra jimmy-jammies $5 each!"-games wouldn't constantly be made for facebook.)
    Perhaps although I know many, many people who play Facebook games who have never dropped a dime on any of them. And why should they? There are a multitude of games to choose from. So you play one for a while until your energy or whatever runs out and then you move on to another one. At least at that level, convenience is highly overrated and overpriced as well.

So, I don't know if that's a very good analogy or not. It remains to be seen what happens to cash shops when there are a dozen plus MMO's out there with decent F2P models. Competition in that case will be most excellent for the consumer.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

A blue post mentioned yesterday that buying Lesser Charms was on the card. So you pay real money to not do dailies effectively. Not an issue for characters with heaps stockpiled, but new players/characters or lazy people would be all over that.

If they bring in micro transactions they should at least reduce the monthly fee though imo, so people who are not lazy get a benefit.

I'm 100% fine with it happening. Makes zero difference to me, not like there will be anything game breaking in there. If people want to buy lesser charms instead of farming them, or buy a potion to level faster, that's fine by me why should I care? Even if they sell transmog gear, makes no difference to me. Only becomes a problem if they sell PvP gear, anything else is largely irrelevant. Hell, even selling PvE gear hardly matters unless it's being sold at the beginning of the tier, since that will mess with world firsts, but like if they sell the ToT raid gear in 5.4 I wouldn't even care, makes no difference to me.

I honestly don't care. I don't want to buy items so I won't. No sense in bitching about it...

The new strings for bonus-loot in the new PTR build are not giving me a good feeling either. Since they're already basically selling bonus loot through charms, it's only half an inch further down the slope to sell bonus-loot buffs too.
    ♦ Scepticist ♦ Critic ♦ INTJ

High Overlord
    Blizzard sponsored paid Powerleveling services.

A paid 100% XP bonus is a clever way of Blizzard selling Powerleveling services without calling it that. It's very simple. They want to start finding ways to make all the money that Powerleveling services and gold selling companies make. Such experiments include this and previously the BoE in-game pet from last year.

Maybe in the future; if it performs well enough in its test markets to pull in more than they do with subs they could consider free-play with the ingame store to float their revenue stream in conjunction with out-of-game services on b.net. Otherwise, not unless the subs dip enough to require a free-play transition to remain afloat.

Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

"If some is good, then more must be better. "

If/When this works, then Blizz will turn to P2W.
    My wedding vows - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YtyW1aXIY

PERI: I, I, I.
    DOCTOR: That's three I's in one breath. Makes you sound a rather egotistical young lady.
    PERI: What's happened?
    DOCTOR: Change, my dear. And it seems not a moment too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I never understood that "money grubbing" argument, because last time I checked I could well control my spending habbits and I don't care in the least bit if somebody else cannot. Just like I don't care how somebody esel plays a game to find enjoyment.

Apart from that: Have you considered that they looked at SW:ToR and saw how that crashed and burned and they plan long ahead and see that WoW will one day HAVE to go F2P and then they will NEED an ingame store? They already announced they expect another big sub loss by the end of the year.
    If they go F2P then I'm more than willing to accept a cash shop. I'm speaking strictly from the situation of a subscription AND cash shop.

I thnk that it is unacceptable for an in-game store to exist in World of WarCraft, since it is a subscription-based game.

We already pay in order to be able to play the game, on a continuous base. Officially, the subscription grants us access to the servers of the game. But in essense, it is what fuels money to its creators, to make profit off and invest back to the game by maintaining it and developing further content; as well as fund their other games in development.

I understand the need for in-game stores in free-to-play games, or games that you have to pay in order to play only once. And I know that we live in an age when people are taught and pressured to become passive, just accept things and go with the flow, as well as get rid of empathy, consideration, and creative thinking. We are molded to be good just as much as we need to get by for school or work, and just accept everything else. We are shaped into moronic-humans, and thus moronic-customers; rarely ever trying to secure our rights, and even giving them up freely to seem cool to others: "Of course and it's awesome to have an in-game store. I got money. I can pay. It's not my fault you are poor and stupid". As if money is the issue. Not ethics, or the fact that you are taken for a ride like the nice victim that you are. Chicken willing and anxious to be plucked indeed.

An in-game store in World of WarCraft, as it is in Europe and America, is unacceptable. To me it is bordering on theft; and is certainly unethical. If it is ever brought in Europe, as much as it may distress me, I will consider stopping to play the game. I love World of WarCraft, I love WarCraft, and I have, even now, quite some respect for Blizzard. But I don't think I would be able to make excuses in my mind for something so unethical. And yes, to me it would be unethical. Companies try to make profit. But there should be limits to those attempts. There is a line after which, a company is not merely trying to make a good profit, but drowns in greed. Greed, not maximising profits. And Blizzard, at least in the past, stood for something more than just money-making: http://eu.blizzard.com/en-gb/company/about/mission.html

"Lead Responsibly"

"Our products and practices can affect not only our employees and players -- but the industry at large. As one of the world’s leading game companies, we’re committed to making ethical decisions, always keeping our players in mind, and setting a strong example of professionalism and excellence at all times."

"Ethical decisions" "Example of excellence" How can someone ever combine that, with ripping off your own players in such a disgusting way?

I wouldn't have it beyond most videogame companies to be greedy little shits. That's what they are after all. Lead by people that are not gamers, but "executives". Just excuses of people that are cosnumed by their greed, wearing fancy titles and worrying about bonuses and how to "live the life". But not Blizzard. I hope not Blizzard. Only the future will tell of course, but I hope they reward my trust in them.

Offering convenience for money is not an ethical debate. I mean, By your very example offering mounts for money is unethical. Do you honestly believe that? Or does the fact that the store is coming in the game itself what makes the decision unethical.

here's the thing. THERE ARE ALREADY XP BUFFS IN THE GAME ITSELF. you just need to spend justice points on heirlooms or farm rare mobs. Nothing that has been put on the table isn't already available in the game. It may come in different forms (i.e. different types of mounts) but monetizing a game that is made by a for-profit company is the very definition of business ethical.

I cannot believe the level of hyperbole in this thread.
    An in-game store in World of WarCraft, as it is in Europe and America, is unacceptable. To me it is bordering on theft; and is certainly unethical
    It is most certainly none of those things. They aren't taking anything from you. They are offering a choice.

Please stop acting like your subscription entitles you to every conceivable feature in wow. I'm a casual player and I don't lose my mind that people have access to heroic content and I don't. I don't care that people who went to blizzcon have extra pets and I don't . Those are all choices I have made to exclude myself from content. I don't have every store mount and game and I still get to enjoy my 15 bucks a month worth of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    I'm 100% fine with it happening. Makes zero difference to me, not like there will be anything game breaking in there. If people want to buy lesser charms instead of farming them, or buy a potion to level faster, that's fine by me why should I care? Even if they sell transmog gear, makes no difference to me. Only becomes a problem if they sell PvP gear, anything else is largely irrelevant. Hell, even selling PvE gear hardly matters unless it's being sold at the beginning of the tier, since that will mess with world firsts, but like if they sell the ToT raid gear in 5.4 I wouldn't even care, makes no difference to me.
    So people were all up in arms over dailies and having to farm them for charms, but you're ok with being able to buy them with real money?? What on earth kind of horrible logic is that? THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE. Both of those methods for acquiring charms/loot are awful but the one requiring real money on top of a monthly sub fee is by far the most heinous.

Instead of thinking up progressively worse and worse "Band-Aid" fixes to their crappy game design, Blizz should be fixing the core issue: that dailies are a terrible design decision and a new ground breaking/fun method needs to be introduced in game to acquire these things. Granted you can get them as drops doing other activities but dailies are by far the most efficient route. They most definitely don't need to just throw up their hands in defeat and offer the rewards in a cash shop -_-. Come on people, lets be a lil smarter about our disposable income and vested interest in WoW.
    Last edited by Donair; 2013-07-10 at 04:00 AM.