View Poll Results: Opinion Game Store

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, let the store come to EU/US

    73 28.08%
  • No, Please Don't let it ever come here.

    152 58.46%
  • Maybe in the future, not now.

    35 13.46%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    I'm not talking about hardcore raiders. I am talking about serious players that like to raid and chat with friends. These people tend to play for years without canceling subs. Casuals only sub when a new raid comes out, do it on LFR and cancel their sub again. These people are not a the kind of people you want to rely on.
    Money is money. Keep them entertained, you get their $15 every month. Every customer is of equal value to them since everyone pays $15.

    There was enough for them to do in Classic and TBC. Now leveling is so easy and boring that they just reach max level, do LFR and get bored.
    Times have changed. Levelling isn't enough anymore. It's been 8 years of levelling.

    If they make levelling too hard, "serious players" who leave the game due to Real Life™ circumstances can't rejoin their friends to raid and don't bother playing anymore until next expansion

  2. #162
    I would be tempted to buy a reputation boosting item sure as long as it's account wide. If it was for single characters anything more than a dollar and they can go fly a kite. Problem for them is it will make purchasing these kinda things mando if you're in a guild that isn't just family and friends and that is where it will get bad.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

  3. #163
    The issue I see here is that we already pay them to create content. Adding in items for real money instead of making the content to achieve in what ever manner say a shirt (as there is no heirloom one) feels, to me at least, that are are just ripping me off. I would welcome the 100% so long as there is content to attain it, through some form of unlock feature.

    In this respect we are paying them twice for what they should done for a single fee (ie your monthly subscription). Its bad bad business and they walk a think line between success and calamity. Really not liking this direction they are thinking of going. Adding in REAL advantage for REAL money outside the normal business model isn't a wise move to say the least.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by pimpeddakota View Post
    I would be tempted to buy a reputation boosting item sure as long as it's account wide. If it was for single characters anything more than a dollar and they can go fly a kite. Problem for them is it will make purchasing these kinda things mando if you're in a guild that isn't just family and friends and that is where it will get bad.
    I see the problem here is that they should be focusing on creating the content to attain such a heirloom item instead of charging for it. Where are are 15 dollars going exactly?

  4. #164
    Herald of the Titans Pancaspe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,665
    Hell yes give me a way to buy an XP buff and Lesser Charms. I am all in on that!
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

  5. #165
    I bet they are laughing and going "Suckers! We charge again from what they already paid us monthly to make new content and stuff, and on top of that...they still don't own it, we do!"

    Cash shop:
    Subscription optional = OK
    Subscription required = NOT OK

    Maybe it's time to check out the new Final Fantasy game coming out. I hope EVERYTHING is obtainable from playing that game, including all cosmetic stuff since it requires a subscription.

    It'd be awesome if they back down and the game store had the mounts and pets from Blizzard's store purchasable with game currency you cannot buy with real money.
    Last edited by bigmac; 2013-07-11 at 08:35 AM.

  6. #166
    I quit playing so my opinion doesn't matter. It does look like a slippery slope.

    Quote Originally Posted by shikokumaji View Post
    Leveling is already easy ... not sure why people are getting their panties in a bunch over this xp boost item that is supposedly going to be purchasable in game. Who cares if people level faster than you. It doesn't effect your gameplay at all. I'd buy it if I wanted to level alts on another server, since I can't use heirlooms on another server.

    Honestly, I say bring it on. Let people buy things in an in-game store. Its just the same as buying pets and mounts ... so it doesn't change how I play my game. And it shouldn't change how you play yours either.

    All this speculation over one item data-mined on the PTR ... really better off waiting for an actual announcement and seeing how they test it out before jumping ship.
    That's because you don't read other comments.

  7. #167
    Quote Originally Posted by Aventhos View Post
    - - - Updated - - -

    I see the problem here is that they should be focusing on creating the content to attain such a heirloom item instead of charging for it. Where are are 15 dollars going exactly?
    15 bucks is going to server rental fees to AT&T, Yatchs/Planes for executives etc. I would fathom to guess about $1 a month per player is actually going toward further WOW. Other game R&D is probably getting $1-$2 per player. but those are just assumptions :-)
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Hell yes give me a way to buy an XP buff and Lesser Charms. I am all in on that!
    Why would you be? Wouldn't it be better to ask for less grinds (charms) and not having to pay extra?

    I really can't imagine players "asked" to pay even more than they already do. But that is just me.

  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by shikokumaji View Post
    Leveling is already easy ... not sure why people are getting their panties in a bunch over this xp boost item that is supposedly going to be purchasable in game. Who cares if people level faster than you. It doesn't effect your gameplay at all. I'd buy it if I wanted to level alts on another server, since I can't use heirlooms on another server.

    Honestly, I say bring it on. Let people buy things in an in-game store. Its just the same as buying pets and mounts ... so it doesn't change how I play my game. And it shouldn't change how you play yours either.

    All this speculation over one item data-mined on the PTR ... really better off waiting for an actual announcement and seeing how they test it out before jumping ship.
    Probably because a lot of people don't trust blizzard that much right now... They bring out a special reduced price to allow players to move characters around on servers and then after that week has concluded they announce a new feature of "virtual servers" where you can play with people from practically any server so there is no reason to server jump anymore....
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post
    Why would you be? Wouldn't it be better to ask for less grinds (charms) and not having to pay extra?

    I really can't imagine players "asked" to pay even more than they already do. But that is just me.
    I can't either. It's just stupid to want to shell out more than $14.99 a month for this. Leveling is already fast. We have rested XP. Plus buffs from events such as the summer festival we just had and the monthly fair. Why not just increase rested XP instead of charging more? Why not increase the buffs from the events from 10%? Why not add for the rest of the classes daily quests to get 50% buffs like they did for the monk?

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Money is money. Keep them entertained, you get their $15 every month. Every customer is of equal value to them since everyone pays $15.
    Serious players pay constantly to keep their characters geared and ready for the new content. The casuals sub once or twice a year when a new raid/dungeon comes out and move on to other games in between patches.

    The raider pays around 3-4 more in sub fees than the casual yearly. Gearing the game towards the casuals is a huge mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Times have changed. Levelling isn't enough anymore. It's been 8 years of levelling.
    Spending time and resources on mini games, because of the notion that "leveling isn't enough" left the game with a bugged UI and tedious grind fest quest.

    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    If they make levelling too hard, "serious players" who leave the game due to Real Life™ circumstances can't rejoin their friends to raid and don't bother playing anymore until next expansion
    In my time playing wow we have helped dozens of returning players to gear up and be part of our team. When someone is actually serious and has friends in the game getting back on top of his game is not a problem. One of our tanks for example had 495-ish ilvl when he returned and now he clears tot heroic with us.

    Returning to Warcraft when you have friends and a name for yourself is not an issue.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-07-11 at 08:44 AM.

  12. #172
    The Lightbringer Zell the Stormbreaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    3,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The majority of the money that WOW makes does not go back into it do you honestly believe that any additional income a cash shop would generate is going to be reinvested in development of the game?
    That's not what I said - please read my comment again.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    In my time playing wow we have helped dozens of returning players to gear up and be part of our team. When someone is actually serious and has friends in the game getting back on top of his game is not a problem. One of our tanks for example had 495-ish ilvl when he returned and now he clears tot heroic with us.

    Returning to Warcraft when you have friends and a name for yourself is not an issue.
    That is the best part of having three avenues for gearing right now... if you are returning doing your LFR and having a guild take you into the normals will get you on the fast track to helping them with heroic real fast!
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

  14. #174
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Serious players pay constantly to keep their characters geared and ready for the new content. The casuals sub once or twice a year when a new raid/dungeon comes out and move on to other games in between patches.

    The raider pays around 3-4 more in sub fees than the casual yearly. Gearing the game towards the casuals is a huge mistake.
    As I said, money is money. There isn't enough content for casuals, that's why they are bailing between patches. They got bored.

    Spending time and resources on mini games, because the notion that "leveling isn't enough" left the game with a bugged UI and tedious grind fest quest.
    I take it you are talking about pet battles. That was created over a few weeks by the UI team. Nothing compared to the 5-man and raid dungeons which take months and months of full time work by the entire production staff.

    In my time playing wow we have helped dozens of returning players to gear up and be part of our team. When someone is actually serious and has friends in the game getting back on top of his game is not a problem. One of our tanks for example had 495-ish ilvl when he returned and now he clears tot heroic with us.
    Not everyone is as generous as you. There are many other there who rather not "waste time" on "old content".

  15. #175
    I'm going to say yes, because there's things like pets, mounts etc that would be just more convenient to buy in-game.

    I'm also not fussed about the XP bonus thing; a lot of players are already using Recruit a Friend for this purpose, so I really don't see any harm in removing a wall to an already existing paid service.

    They mentioned Lesser Charms being purchasable too. This is borderline with me. So long as there's a limit to how many Big Charms you can obtain each week, then it's not quite pay to win. Makes me a little uneasy though that player can skip 'grind', i.e. play less, do less, but still get a chance of greater reward. I think that's actually bordering on gambling and wonder what the legalities are with this. If it turned out to be legal in some countries and not others, it's not something that should be applied to that region as it's just flat out unfair.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    As I said, money is money. There isn't enough content for casuals, that's why they are bailing between patches. They got bored.
    There is more content for them than ever before, but it is just too accessible. They do LFR a couple of times, kill the last boss of the patch in "Coma mode" and quit. The game was dumbed down far too much already. They are not encouraged to do better and earn the best rewards in game. Blizzard created a whole under class of consumers and now they want to use the sense of entitlement of these players to make them PAY to skip effort and eventually the best rewards.

    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    I take it you are talking about pet battles. That was created over a few weeks by the UI team. Nothing compared to the 5-man and raid dungeons which take months and months of full time work by the entire production staff.
    There are loads of bugs with the UI. When i type /reload I get a "Release spirit" message. This has been going since last year and nothing is being done about it. At the same time we get PvP pet battles, new pets and other crap. You have to be extremely naive to believe that Pet battles don't bleed resources from the UI and Art teams.

    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    Not everyone is as generous as you. There are many other there who rather not "waste time" on "old content".
    We didn't do old content. We just took him on the farm bosses and force fed him gear, because people were confident that he was the reliable person we need.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-07-11 at 09:01 AM.

  17. #177
    Brewmaster Klingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parliament of the Daleks
    Posts
    1,418
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I'm going to say yes, because there's things like pets, mounts etc that would be just more convenient to buy in-game.

    I'm also not fussed about the XP bonus thing; a lot of players are already using Recruit a Friend for this purpose, so I really don't see any harm in removing a wall to an already existing paid service.

    They mentioned Lesser Charms being purchasable too. This is borderline with me. So long as there's a limit to how many Big Charms you can obtain each week, then it's not quite pay to win. Makes me a little uneasy though that player can skip 'grind', i.e. play less, do less, but still get a chance of greater reward. I think that's actually bordering on gambling and wonder what the legalities are with this.
    I'm not worried about the store being there per se. I'm worried about the precident it'll set.

    I'll give you an example: Blizzard's devs get ready to roll out the next expansion. It's in early beta, most of the content's done, the XP curve has been designed and scaled to match the quest progression of the new zones.

    Then, a Activision Blizzard VP sees an opportunity to syphon back some of the 400-odd million Vivendi yanked out of ActiBlizzard to cover their failbusiness. He goes to the dev team, a month out from release, and utters these words:

    "Scale up the XP curve by 200%. Players will purchase our $10 per-character XP buff potions!"

    I'm with you on that last point 100%, but I'm also far more cynical. I fully expect our favourite game's parent company to think they can have their cake (paid subscriptions) and eat it too (F2P-style, gouge-for-everything cash shop). They won't just be selling you those charms, they'll be tweaking LFR drop rates to incentivize purchase, and they'll be sticking more time-sink mechanics on other aspects of the game "That the player can elect to bypass with an RMT purchase from their battle.net wallet".
    Last edited by Klingers; 2013-07-11 at 09:04 AM.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

  18. #178
    I have made myself very clear in other threads, i just woke up, so i do this one without anger.
    I see it as a slippery slide, and i do not belive blizzard will do it well, if they add lesser charm boost, why would they not add honor or justice boost? Why would the buff the justice and honor gained later on, when they can just laugh at you and tell you to buy a 1 hour bonus potion, it would just be bad buiness, for them that is, since if it was not needed why would people do it.
    (i am 20 and dyslexic so yes i suck at spelling)

  19. #179
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    18,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Serious players pay constantly to keep their characters geared and ready for the new content. The casuals sub once or twice a year when a new raid/dungeon comes out and move on to other games in between patches.

    The raider pays around 3-4 more in sub fees than the casual yearly. Gearing the game towards the casuals is a huge mistake.
    Where do you take this information from? That is what you boil it down to? Ok, let me take you up on it. Let us pretend all the 30 000 guilds that according to wowprogress are at least 1/12 NORMAL (which already is arguable if you are a serious raider if you have one boss down in normal). That means 50 000 people at max stay subbed and the other 8 million quit between patches?

    What? I'm not raiding and I'm not quitting inbetween, so that is one guy who doesn't fit.

    If I take up my argument from before, then a serious player who keeps the character geared is Hardcore raider? Now we are down to 10 000 guilds. Under 200 000 players.

    Hell, let me go one further. The REAL hardcore the ones that were 13/13 HM after 2 months, they ARE max geared. If anyone would quit between patches, it is them, because there is nothing to do.

    So..suddenly this flips to: "Gearing the game towards the hardcore raider" is a huge mistake.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Zellviren View Post
    That's not what I said - please read my comment again.
    My question was aimed this part of your post " In fact, from a longer-term view, consider that the extra money generated from a convenient in-game shop is reinvested in development for the game. That's a win for everyone, really, assuming that's how said revenue is used (rather than just greedily pocketed)."

    Do you believe that based on past behaviour the money will be reinvested or greedily pocketed?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    I have made myself very clear in other threads, i just woke up, so i do this one without anger.
    I see it as a slippery slide, and i do not belive blizzard will do it well, if they add lesser charm boost, why would they not add honor or justice boost? Why would the buff the justice and honor gained later on, when they can just laugh at you and tell you to buy a 1 hour bonus potion, it would just be bad buiness, for them that is, since if it was not needed why would people do it.
    I don't think that they will add honour or justice points to the cash shop however I would expect lesser charms to become more useful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •