View Poll Results: Opinion Game Store

Voters
260. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, let the store come to EU/US

    73 28.08%
  • No, Please Don't let it ever come here.

    152 58.46%
  • Maybe in the future, not now.

    35 13.46%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
  1. #181
    The Lightbringer MasterHamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,977
    How many years have people speculated about p2w in WoW by now? Hm, when was That Retarded Horse™ released...

    There won't be any time when Blizzard directly sells something that directly, right then, makes your character stronger.
    I think people should check some actual P2W games (usually undeservedly popular flash/iOS/Android games) to see the extent P2W can go.
    Right now we have people arguing that buying charms is p2w, their logic eludes me.

    I'll gladly pay for +100% experience though. I like to level as fast as I can. Sue me.
    Last edited by MasterHamster; 2013-07-11 at 09:58 AM.
    Nyoro~n? (´・ω・`)
    5:2 diet? Pft!

    Weight lost since 21st of June: 62kg/~136lb

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    There is more content for them than ever before, but it is just too accessible. They do LFR a couple of times, kill the last boss of the patch in "Coma mode" and quit. The game was dumbed down far too much already. They are not encouraged to do better and earn the best rewards in game. Blizzard created a whole under class of consumers and now they want to use the sense of entitlement of these players to make them PAY to skip effort and eventually the best rewards.
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...93830291095553

    You either provide content people are comfortable doing and want to do, or they leave.

    There are loads of bugs with the UI. When i type /reload I get a "Release spirit" message. This has been going since last year and nothing is being done about it. At the same time we get PvP pet battles, new pets and other crap. You have to be extremely naive to believe that Pet battles don't bleed resources from the UI and Art teams.
    It's a minor bug. Not exactly a high priority. They will have to dig through the code and figure out the problem, then make sure the solution doesn't create new problems. How do you know the fix isn't already in the works?

    Not to mention, the people responsible for the base UI code, hence the bug, might not even be the same people who made the pet battle system - UI programmer vs UI designer.

    We didn't do old content. We just took him on the farm bosses and force fed him gear, because people were confident that he was the reliable person we need.
    Farm bosses ... If you are stuck on the first few bosses? If other members of your raid still aren't fully geared?

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/sta...93830291095553

    You either provide content people are comfortable doing and want to do, or they leave.
    He will vigorously defend each of his bad decisions to the bitter end. All of this goes back to the sense of entitlement Blizzard devs crated when they told people that they "deserve to see content while it's current, because they pay as much as people that put effort". This kind of rhetoric has been poisoning the discussion and fueling the baseless claims of the casuals that they should get as much as everyone else, just because.
    Last edited by Cybran; 2013-07-11 at 10:00 AM.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    He will vigorously defend each of his bad decisions to the bitter end. All of this goes back to the sense of entitlement Blizzard devs crated when they told people that they "deserve to see content while it's current, because they pay as much as people that put effort". This kind of rhetoric has been poisoning the discussion and fueling the baseless claims of the casuals that they should get as much as everyone else, just because.
    Here's an idea: Since the subscription is not optional, when you ding a certain number of toons to max level...you get an achievement. From there on out, any future toons you make will have the buff until you reach max level. There. No additional money spent beyond the monthly fee. But they won't do this...because of GREED. And I can see right now the store will eventually have the stuff that people right now don't want.

  5. #185
    I don't think it should come the US/EU realms yet. Let them try it in Asia and see how it does for them. I agree that it can quickly become a slippery slope if they start 'encouraging' use of cash shop items to give you what your sub should already be giving you. That's one thing if the game stops being sub-based and goes to the micro-transaction model, especially if you pay a sub and it basically compensates you what you'd be buying a'la carte anyways. But to do that while still expecting a sub to be paid is just...no.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by Klingers View Post
    I'm not worried about the store being there per se. I'm worried about the precident it'll set.

    I'll give you an example: Blizzard's devs get ready to roll out the next expansion. It's in early beta, most of the content's done, the XP curve has been designed and scaled to match the quest progression of the new zones.

    Then, a Activision Blizzard VP sees an opportunity to syphon back some of the 400-odd million Vivendi yanked out of ActiBlizzard to cover their failbusiness. He goes to the dev team, a month out from release, and utters these words:

    "Scale up the XP curve by 200%. Players will purchase our $10 per-character XP buff potions!"

    I'm with you on that last point 100%, but I'm also far more cynical. I fully expect our favourite game's parent company to think they can have their cake (paid subscriptions) and eat it too (F2P-style, gouge-for-everything cash shop). They won't just be selling you those charms, they'll be tweaking LFR drop rates to incentivize purchase, and they'll be sticking more time-sink mechanics on other aspects of the game "That the player can elect to bypass with an RMT purchase from their battle.net wallet".
    Well the XP bonus pot doesn't count in the new content, so it's a non-issue. It's actually a smaller bonus than the existing RaF promotion, and you don't get a mount either, so I'm just not seeing a slippery slope.

    Also, please don't talk like something bad must be "Activision Blizzard" as if anything good must be Blizzard alone; it's intrinsic and obvious bias that seriously undermines everything else you say :\

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    How many years have people speculated about p2w in WoW by now? Hm, when was That Retarded Horse™ released...

    There won't be any time when Blizzard directly sells something that directly, right then, makes your character stronger.
    I think people should check some actual P2W games (usually undeservedly popular flash/iOS/Android games) to see the extent P2W can go.
    Right now we have people arguing that buying charms is p2w, their logic eludes me.

    I'll gladly pay for +100% experience though. I like to level as fast as I can. Sue me.
    Yep, and now they stepped it up again. First a mount which is cosmetic (it was instantly useable on all your characters so not completely cosmetic) then a pet which you could sell on the AH so you were basically buying gold legally and now this. Besides that you have RaF, transfers and whatnot.
    Access to the store is now through the website but they want you to have access to it ingame so they are able to advertise more and lure more people into buying a pet.
    Slippery slope? NAAAAAHHHHHH! The more you accept the more they will push but that's how it works. If they can influence people to pay more then that is not their fault. This discussion will only help people to see a different side but you can also leave and ignore it and just take all the bs advertisement Blizzard is throwing at you and hand in your money if you like.

    If a 100% xp buff isn't an advantage then why would people buy it? It's not cosmetic and paying for seeing your character drink a potion (if it works like that) doesn't make sense either. So it must be an advantage to level faster. This means you are faster at level 90 than someone who does not spend real money. This means you will be able to obtain ingame currency and gear faster than the other person which makes you stronger.

    It doesn't matter how small the advantage is. Next time it's a 200% buff for the people who want to get rid of more money. Slight difference so who cares right?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •