Thread: Class question

Deleted

Class question

Hey guys just started playing Rift after a WoW break. So i played WoW for like 3 years and my main class was the Death Knight(mainly frost). Now i'm curious if there is any class similar to the dk in Rift. What i'm talking about is the crit. That's what i'm searching for. You know in WoW there was a proc called killing machine(which was random) and that made your next 2 frost abilities(frost strike or obliterate) a guaranteed crit. This thing often leaded to devastating 40k crits and such things. So is there a class in Rift that can create this much havoc with crits? And if yes how hard is it to play?

The most similar soul to DK in terms of 'the feels' would be Reaver - loads of Dots, AoE, it utilises diseases, etc. Also Void Knight in that it's an anti-caster spec, much like DK was back when I still played WoW.

I don't think there's really any procs in Rift. Most of abilities are very predictable.

But crit chances are really high in Rift, so if crits and burst are what you're looking for, you'll find them in every DPS soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

I didn't know Death Knights were a DPS class in WoW. Odd.

Though there are crit based souls in Rift with similar procs &/or effects. Champion and Paragon in the Warrior tree are two of such. Cleric's Shaman soul [Shaman in Rift is a melee "class"] and I believe the Rogue Assassin soul is similar.

Shaman is extremely easy to play. It's just paying attention to rotation and procs. Paragon is a little more tricky, but it's just a matter of practicing your rotation and sticking to it even in the chaos of combat. Champion is super easy- 2 or 3 buffs to manage iirc. Assassin, I know nothing about.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-07-09 at 04:37 PM.

I've seen a few specs have similar things--on my pyromancers every spell I cast that doesn't crit gives me a buff to my crit rating that stacks up until 5 or so but by 5 stacks it's almost certainly a guaranteed crit.
    Other people have recommend souls and I'd go with a more dot based melee soul, though the beautiful thing about Rift is how many soul slots you have to test things out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I didn't know Death Knights were a DPS class in WoW. Odd.

Though there are crit based souls in Rift with similar procs &/or effects. Champion and Paragon in the Warrior tree are two of such. Cleric's Shaman soul [Shaman in Rift is a melee "class"] and I believe the Rogue Assassin soul is similar.

Shaman is extremely easy to play. It's just paying attention to rotation and procs. Paragon is a little more tricky, but it's just a matter of practicing your rotation and sticking to it even in the chaos of combat. Champion is super easy- 2 or 3 buffs to manage iirc. Assassin, I know nothing about.
    When they first came out DKs had a tank tree and 2 DPS trees. They still basically have that I think, but yeah, ALL classes in WoW have at least one DPS tree. Always has been that way, there is no class that cannot be a DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    When they first came out DKs had a tank tree and 2 DPS trees. They still basically have that I think, but yeah, ALL classes in WoW have at least one DPS tree. Always has been that way, there is no class that cannot be a DPS.
    When they first came out, every talent tree was a tank/dps tree. The talents were just all mixed in. You had blood spec tanks, frost spec tanks, and probably even unholy spec tanks.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    When they first came out, every talent tree was a tank/dps tree. The talents were just all mixed in. You had blood spec tanks, frost spec tanks, and probably even unholy spec tanks.
    That's right, I remeber now, but this isn't really a WoW discussion or board.

For the OP, there are several Cleric and Warrior Specs that can be similar to DK, but nothing exactly like it. For big Crits, I think Rogues take the cake though, but mostly as ranged specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    The most similar soul to DK in terms of 'the feels' would be Reaver - loads of Dots, AoE, it utilises diseases, etc.
    Reaver feels absolutely nothing like a frost DK. For Frost, it's all about burst, big hits(like Obliterate or Frost Strike), the diseases are a fairly small portion of your overall damage and mobs will generally be dead long before your dots expire. For reaver, the diseases are a huge part of your damage, and you don't have anything that hits especially hard like an Obliterate would. Reaver is closer to a petless unholy DK than a frost DK.

For Frost DK comparison, I would look into the cleric's shaman tree. You have a mix of physical damage and armor ignoring water/air damage(like how frost dks had physical autoattacks and frost based howling blast and frost strike), Massive Blow hits pretty hard, as does their execute(Glacial Strike). Plus you have an ability on a 1 minute CD that gives you 10 stacks of Rage of the North, giving you 10% increased crit chance per stack, with each crit consuming 1 stack.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Reaver feels absolutely nothing like a frost DK. For Frost, it's all about burst, big hits(like Obliterate or Frost Strike), the diseases are a fairly small portion of your overall damage and mobs will generally be dead long before your dots expire. For reaver, the diseases are a huge part of your damage, and you don't have anything that hits especially hard like an Obliterate would. Reaver is closer to a petless unholy DK than a frost DK.

For Frost DK comparison, I would look into the cleric's shaman tree. You have a mix of physical damage and armor ignoring water/air damage(like how frost dks had physical autoattacks and frost based howling blast and frost strike), Massive Blow hits pretty hard, as does their execute(Glacial Strike). Plus you have an ability on a 1 minute CD that gives you 10 stacks of Rage of the North, giving you 10% increased crit chance per stack, with each crit consuming 1 stack.
    NICE! thnx man i really liked the dk. Also i made an assassination rogue and i noticed that it crits like hell. I'll also do a shaman and see what's like.Also the execute is pretty nice since in WoW the dk pretty much lacked an execute move(as i said earlier the KM proc was absolutely random). Also what makes the shammy hit so hard(the crits i mean) ?
    Last edited by mmocf2cd6cb86e; 2013-07-10 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Explain to me where did I state that Reaver is similar to FROST DK. I said it's similar to DK in general - because they both deal with death and diseases. I don't care about gameplay similarity, I quit WoW 3 years ago, but I still know DK lore and how did playing the class in WotLK felt. It felt exactly like Reaver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

I don't know what the modern Death Knight is like, but I would say aside from theme Reaver and DK are rather dissimilar. Reaver's play style is partly ranged, all tank and is almost like a DOT based Warlock [I forgot the name of Warlock spec in WOW with all the DOTs].

As a Reaver, the great benefit is the easy long range pulls and ability to move far off targets to a desired position. Which a Reaver can essentially spam- something I don't recall a DK doing aside from a few CDs.

For example. Here is a typical Reaver pull;

MRMRMM (M=melee mob, R= ranged mob) mob composition.

> Necrotic Wounds (Range, Spamable, DOT, AOE, Heals)
    > Flesh Rot (Range, Spamable, AOE, DOT Heals)
    > Explosive Infestation (Range, DOT, AOE, 15/s CD)
    > Corruption (PBAOE, void zone, persists, rage dump)
    > Soul Sickness (Range, 15/s CD, DOT, AOE, Heals)
    > Cyclone Strike (PBAOE, free cast)
    > Blood Fever (Melee, Spamable, DOT, AOE, Heals)
    > Corruption (PBAOE, void zone, persists, rage dump)
    > Ravaging Strike (Melee, Spamable, Single target, -armor)

Under ideal conditions, a Reaver is maintaining and cycling through all their DOT based abilities in order to apply threat and mitigate damage. Using a set of 3 shields to mitigate spike damage as needed in the Reaver tree.

There is actually a fair bit of ranged abilities and zone control as a Reaver. The ability to step out of a void area, yet still apply threat and self mitigation is pretty emblematic of Reaver as well. Because they can do this like all the time, in fact it is part their effective tanking routine/goal.

Used my PROFESSIONAL QUALITY Photoshop (i.e. Paint sad.gif) skills to make an image showing my pull ideal:

Assuming we have a Reaver at 61 points with no other souls added. If we do add another soul(s) we might see the addition & maintenance of; Aggressive Block (melee, self block buff, spamable), Pacts (secondary mitigation mechanic, tertiary rage dump) and the ability to dump built up pacts at range.

Now I am not sure how many ranged or AOE abilities a Death Knight in the current version of World of Warcraft has access to. Nor the parameters by which they use such skills in a tank scenario; mitigation ,threat, control, movement, snap, etc.

However, I do think it is worth explaining that a Reaver though sharing the theme of "death & disease" is a good deal more range-y and worries a lot more about their DOT application than many other tank classes. And certainly unlike the DK I recall from the early WotLK expansion pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Explain to me where did I state that Reaver is similar to FROST DK. I said it's similar to DK in general - because they both deal with death and diseases. I don't care about gameplay similarity, I quit WoW 3 years ago, but I still know DK lore and how did playing the class in WotLK felt. It felt exactly like Reaver.
    OP *specifically* asked about a class that feels like a Frost DK. You respond suggesting Reaver. If someone asks where can I get a good steak, and you suggest a Mexican food place, when called on it, would you then say "I was referring to their beef, not steak specifically"?

Also, I've mained a DK since Wrath, and still do. Frost uses diseases yes, but the spec is not "all about death and diseases", and never has been. All DK specs use diseases, but Unholy is the one that relies on them like a Reaver does..
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2013-07-11 at 05:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Riftblade is probably closest to a Frost DK (but uses all elemental types) and Reaver is probably closest to an Unholy DK. Riftblade is DPS, Reaver is a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Erenax View Post
    Riftblade is probably closest to a Frost DK (but uses all elemental types) and Reaver is probably closest to an Unholy DK. Riftblade is DPS, Reaver is a tank.
    I've played shaman and riftblade...shaman feels a lot more like a frost dk than riftblade does. Riftblade reminds me more of an enhance shaman.