I personally am looking forward to the frost change. Would really like to see how it plays out. I think it could be promising in terms of possibly moving toward a resource system, which i think we need.
I will second on a resounding feeling that some sort of fire nerf is coming. However I don't want to speculate bc I feel it could go a couple different ways. All we can do is sit back and watch, bc in the end Blizz is going to do what they want a majority of the time anyway.
*Coughs* I'm looking forward to it cosmetically only at this point, unless they plan to change more shit around, because it's just a passive damage increase that is a bit worse than our Live Mastery (significantly worse in PvP, Dungeons, CMs, and soloing anything that is freezable) in addition to making Frost Bomb the "Dungeon/CM only talent that no one will ever pick for anything else" talent.
It may actually not be a nerf, persay, but rather a fix that will nerf us (e.g., divorcing Fire from Crit, changing how Combustion works for the fourth time, HU/HS changes?). Idk how they'll go about bringing Fire in line (despite Warlocks getting a bit ridiculous too, but regardless...) but one thing is for sure: We won't see another end-of-Cata/end-of-LK Fire model for 5.4.
It is obviously well known that fire scales too well. I thought for sure they were going to prioritize gear with masery/haste this tier, to sort of combat that a little bit, rather than just throwing more crit onto the gear to which we will scale with even better, but I suppose that could still change as gear that has been shown is still ptr, however unlikely. Blizz has been particularly lax this xpac regarding changes, and in some cases over-bearing (5.1 fire nerf obv). The "we'll just wait til 6.0 to overhaul mages" ideal is just sort of..bleh. They are just being lazy imo. It's a major content patch, and they could easily change some things around for us- the frost thing is a good start, but they put us in this position in the first place. Sometimes I wonder if they have any thought at all to how their changes could affect the class in the future.
I am actually ok w/ how fire is currently working, but that's just bc I don't mind the rng portion, it's kind of what keeps me playing it. I don't think that changing how HU/HS works is the solution though. And honestly, I don't presume to know what is, I just want them to think about the shit they do that affects us all.
In regards to other 5.4 stuff. I don't mind staying fire, or even going arcane or frost. I think that we should just focus on what deals the most damage and work as hard as we can to show whether blizz was right or wrong for x/y reasons during ptr and after 5.4 launches(which a lot of people do here anyway). Amplification trink also seems really good, and can't wait to play around with that thing.
I think the new Frost mastery is a shittier version of "Your spells do X% more damage," needs significant work, and doesn't do enough to address some of the problems people are saying they have with frost.
Free for all off topic: going on vacation out of town tomorrow for a couple of weeks. I'll have my pc and a stable connection and a mobile connection, but I'll be far more sensitive to people disturbing my rest :P
Just something to mention as a general guideline: please report sensibly. My personal morals oblige me to carefully check every report, but over half of the stuff reported isn't punishable by the code... something to consider.
I like how the discussions have been going lately, it's been nice. Don't ruin it once fire changes start pouring in. This is neither facebook nor youtube comments to vent frustrations :P
My magic will tear you apart.
New PTR build is up:
- New Frost Mastery, the main thing we want to test and give feedback for, IS BUGGED AND DOES NOTHING BUT SPAWN ICICLES. HAH. That's fucking hilarious.
- New glyphs implemented: Condensation (+40% WElly size), Evaporation (+"$%" WElly size; guessing 40%), and Unbound Elemental (that elemental we discussed in that other thread)
- Combustion glyph reverted to 100%.
- PoM reverted to work with Alter Time once more.
So yeah, not much to test. I tried getting to 6+ icicles; they didn't move or fire nor did I notice damage numbers. Tried FoF and non-FoF ILs. Nothing worked.
Here's some data: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post21805672
Still bugged though but meh. Really wish they would fly at high-speeds like Ice Lance
Relevant info regarding Icicles fro Lhivera: Some new info/clarifications:
1) Each icicle has an individual duration. They don't share a duration that gets refreshed when you gain new icicles. Once an icicle is generated, it has an individual duration of 15 seconds. This really impacts the ability people have discussed to save up big ones.
2) Related (and Boomop can say he told me so on this one), they did revise the damage reduction thing. Icicle damage will be calculated based on the damage the generating spell would have done in the absence of any damage-modifying effects on the target, positive or negative. Those effects will then apply when the icicle hits the target. So if a target gains a vulnerability effect after an icicle is generated but before it is launched, it will benefit from that effect. If the target loses such an effect, the icicle will lose damage accordingly. Basically just means part of their final damage is calculated when they're used, for better or worse.
Yo what's up Mages. I saw this thread in PVP section complaining mages were getting ice lance buff and were breaking PVP and there was a lot of whining, even though the change was balanced by mastery or whatever.
Cracked me up. It's fun watching people who love to hate mages.