Thinking about Upgrading, need suggestions towards this new rig idea.

Ok! To get to the point, I am thinking about buying a new graphics card and processor,
    but I am wandering if there is anything else I am missing,
    to add to my list of purchase:

Current Info:

The graphics card I am thinking of buying is the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780
    http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...de=GC-XNGTX783

The processor I am thinking of buying is the Intel i7 3930K
    http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/prod...de=CPI-I73930K

Do you think this would be a wise purchase? Is there anything else I should get, or that you personally would recommend? You guys often give such great feedback and have helped me build my own custom rig from the ground up, I take your word as gold on many an occasion.

Thank you for reading.

1)No reason to buy that CPU, there are cheaper options unless you are a serious graphics designer with money to spend.

2)You need to change your motherboard also,

3)and what PSU do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    1)No reason to buy that CPU, there are cheaper options unless you are a serious graphics designer with money to spend.

2)You need to change your motherboard also, and what PSU do you have?
    PSU = XFX Pro550W 'Core Edition'

Any motherboards I could look at? Thank you so much for your quick response.

On the graphics designer point, I am a VFX student working in Nuke and Maya. Would that be similar?

Those 2 programs you can get by with a i5 4670, or i7 4770.

As far as motherboards go anything thats a 1150 socket would work. If you want a OC CPU you will need a board that supports it. I personally like Asrock and MSI mobos.

I see you have 16GB of ram, but what is it? 1066? 1333? 1600?

Anyways..An i7 4770K with a mobo like the Asus Z87-A should cover you plenty for what you need.

I see you have 16GB of ram, but what is it? 1066? 1333? 1600?
    How would I tell? Sorry, I am still working out a few things. Would it be on the stick of Ram itself?

Also, I have roughly 1K to spend on this new build, so the Motherboard, Processor and GPU, would they be able to fit into that?

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeLions View Post
    How would I tell? Sorry, I am still working out a few things. Would it be on the stick of Ram itself?

Also, I have roughly 1K to spend on this new build, so the Motherboard, Processor and GPU, would they be able to fit into that?
    Depends, what are we talking about? Dollars? or pounds? or Euro?

780 is a really expensive card which would be your biggest money spender.

i7 4770K is around 330E, a motherboard is around 130-150E depending, a 780 is around 600-700E so as you can see it doesnt really fit price wise and is really expensive.

And you can download CPU-Z and see what you have in the Memory tab, screenshot it and we can see.

Depends, what are we talking about? Dollars? or pounds? or Euro?

780 is a really expensive card which would be your biggest money spender.

i7 4770K is around 330E, a motherboard is around 130-150E depending, a 780 is around 600-700E so as you can see it doesnt really fit price wise and is really expensive.

And you can download CPU-Z and see what you have in the Memory tab, screenshot it and we can see.
    Thanks! In Pounds, I have been told I can spend over 1k, since my pay is also coming in at the end of the month, I found both the I7 4770k and the Mother board ( Asus Z87-A) for £326.7 minus delivery on "http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/"

"Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz LGA1150 Processor - Retail
    1 x £228.75 £228.75 "

"Asus Z87-A LGA1150,SLi/CFire,USB3,SATA3,GBLan,ATX
    1 x £97.95 £97.95 "

Also, the GTX 780 on here

"Generic NVIDIA GTX 780
    GC-XNGTX783
    £433.50
    £520.20 inc.VAT"

"3Gb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 PCI-e VGA Card"

P.s. Even with V.A.T Included, it still is not all bad.
    Last edited by ThreeLions; 2013-07-09 at 07:15 PM.

Deleted
    From Aria: it's marginally cheaper than your generic, but it also comes with Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

Those prices on the 4770k+Z87-A are amazing, however.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    From Aria: it's marginally cheaper than your generic, but it also comes with Splinter Cell: Blacklist.
    Those prices on the 4770k+Z87-A are amazing, however.
    Does anyone agree wth Tenangrychickens with that Card buy + Splinter cell?

Edit: Generic NVIDIA GTX 780
    GC-XNGTX783

£433.50
    £520.20 inc.VAT

Current one.. so I guess for £5 I get the game, but it depends on the actual price of Postal
    Last edited by ThreeLions; 2013-07-09 at 07:37 PM.

Those prices are rather cheap so yeah, that way its possible.

Anyway, the ram seems to be decent but you are running it at 1333 instead of 1600, when you get the new parts set it in the bios at 1600.

Since the prices are cheap get a cheap cooler for the CPU since 4770k runs hot and the stock one sucks.

Hyper Evo 212/Xigmatek Gaia, generally around the 30-40 dollar price, so around 25-30 pounds i would say.

Hyper Evo 212/Xigmatek Gaia, generally around the 30-40 dollar price, so around 25-30 pounds i would say.
    I have this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-CNPS9...1817907&sr=8-1
    The Zalman

So. To finalise what I shall buy, I should go ahead with the Eclipse .com of that Motherboard and I7, but buy the card on the other site, so I can get a free game for only a short amount more (Seems a good enough idea). Then, when I have set it up, I must set my RAM to it's proper BIOS.

If I have all of this right I shall go ahead! Thank you all so very much with helping me today, I cannot wait to cracking with the gaming!

I have this : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-CNPS9...1817907&sr=8-1
    The Zalman

So. To finalise what I shall buy, I should go ahead with the Eclipse .com of that Motherboard and I7, but buy the card on the other site, so I can get a free game for only a short amount more (Seems a good enough idea). Then, when I have set it up, I must set my RAM to it's proper BIOS.

If I have all of this right I shall go ahead! Thank you all so very much with helping me today, I cannot wait to cracking with the gaming!
    Ye that should be fine instead of the stock cooler.

Buy wherever you find them cheaper really.

Deleted
    Does anyone agree wth Tenangrychickens with that Card buy + Splinter cell?
    I agree. There are also non-reference GTX 780's which I would usually prefer but they're about £40-50 extra.

By the way, you're running 1080p right? If so why not "just" get a GTX 770, it's going to max out pretty much anything (non-reference).

MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming ~£330 also includes the same game

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 Windforce 3X ~£330 also includes the same game

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    I agree. There are also non-reference GTX 780's which I would usually prefer but they're about £40-50 extra.

By the way, you're running 1080p right? If so why not "just" get a GTX 770, it's going to max out pretty much anything (non-reference).

MSI GeForce GTX 770 Gaming ~£330 also includes the same game

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 Windforce 3X ~£330 also includes the same game
    Yeah I just watched a review online, the guy said for multi-monitor gaming/work on CGI, go for the 780, but for single monitor 770.

How similar are they? I know I am a pain in the butt, and this is a few hundred pound question, but I'm pretty much looking for something that will play my games with my 16gb ram, and this new stuff almost seamlessly (With a few exceptions of the newest games with their rediculous requirements).

If I went with the 770, I guess I could use Dual monitor for 3D Modelling and VFX Compositing in my future line of work, but would the 780 be better for that style of work over the 770? Cheers for the idea Notarget, if I can save money I will, just need to make a final decision on the graphics card.

Yeah I just watched a review online, the guy said for multi-monitor gaming/work on CGI, go for the 780, but for single monitor 770.

How similar are they? I know I am a pain in the butt, and this is a few hundred pound question, but I'm pretty much looking for something that will play my games with my 16gb ram, and this new stuff almost seamlessly (With a few exceptions of the newest games with their rediculous requirements).

If I went with the 770, I guess I could use Dual monitor for 3D Modelling and VFX Compositing in my future line of work, but would the 780 be better for that style of work over the 770? Cheers for the idea Notarget, if I can save money I will, just need to make a final decision on the graphics card.
    I answered the same thing on the PM you sent.

If you think 200 pounds in price difference is worth the 14% performance increase, and if you are playing above 1080p, then go for the GTX 780, otherwise this the Gigabyte Windforce OC is the clear choice.

I answered the same thing on the PM you sent.

If you think 200 pounds in price difference is worth the 14% performance increase, and if you are playing above 1080p, then go for the GTX 780, otherwise this the Gigabyte Windforce OC is the clear choice.

I have the thought that in the nearby future I shall be using multiple monitors for my work, and in that sense, most likely use one to game and the other to use for either gaming, or media/work.

I may go with the 780, however, if I end up just working on one screen, then I will go with the Windforce. Thank you so much, I cannot wait to get this rig up and running, just need to get in gear.

Deleted
    At 1080p there are only a few select games the 770 can't max it, same for the 780 but the 780 will of course run those a little higher. The 780 has more computing power for other work but we are talking like ~8-10% difference for an extra ~£180-200. If you're talking about stretching the game across more monitors (like 5760x1080) or working while playing(?) then the 780 is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    At 1080p there are only a few select games the 770 can't max it, same for the 780 but the 780 will of course run those a little higher. The 780 has more computing power for other work but we are talking like ~8-10% difference for an extra ~£180-200. If you're talking about stretching the game across more monitors (like 5760x1080) or working while playing(?) then the 780 is much better.
    Hmm.... well, I tell you what then, I'll go for 770 Windforce, I don't think the extra monitor will be any time soon, and even then, I won't be using it to game, only to play films, or for utility boxes whilst working. Both of you I guess are saying the 8-10% Is not worth the extra £180-200, so not only am I saving money, but I will also have the same power from both graphics cards, if I am only playing on one monitor.