View Poll Results: Are you an organ donor?

Voters
422. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I'm not

159 37.68%
  • Yes, I am

224 53.08%
  • Undecided/don't have license yet.

39 9.24%
Page 1 of 22
... LastLast

Are you an Organ Donor?

So, today I was reading an article about how a woman almost had her organs removed mistakenly, due to doctors thinking she was dead. She wasn't dead, and thankfully awoke before the procedure began.

Reading it made me question about whether or not I should change my status on my license, lol. I've read more and more horror stories of doctors mistakenly pronouncing organ donors deceased. Is this because of laziness? Maybe not doing the series of brain dead tests right? Or is it more horrifying? Are some doctors wanting your organs even when your still alive?

Are you an organ donor, why?
    Not one, how come?

Article of woman: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...141547610.html
    Last edited by Winter Blossom; 2013-07-09 at 07:04 PM.

I'm a donor. And to your OP, I'm not willing to deny someone a life saving organ transplant on the one in ten billion chance that someone's going to screw up and try to take my organs while I'm alive.

I also donate blood platelets every month or so.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2013-07-09 at 07:12 PM.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

No and I never intend to be. If they take my organs its illegally!

When I am dead, do with my body as you please. It's not mine anymore.

I was, for a long time. I see no reason to keep my delicious organs to myself when I die. But unfortunately I was diagnosed with HIV 3 years ago and can no longer be a donor

im not currently one, plan to sign up soon!

i wouldn't let a very small chance of something going wrong put me off it, the mistakes like that are so rare its not even worth worrying about. the thing that puts me off doing it is laziness!
    dragonmaw - EU

I'm a donor, and to echo what Reeve posted, I am willing to take that tiny chance that I might not be dead when they harvest my organs. The overall good for society of saving one or more lives is well worth that risk. People take greater chances than that all the time, heck, you have most likely have a greater chance getting hit by a bus crossing the street, than you do them mistakenly taking your organs while you are alive, that doesn't keep most people from crossing the street though.

No, I'm not. I never plan on being one as well.

Hell yes I am, it feels weird thinking about it but I won't need them when I am gone. I would hope my death saves someone's life.

Im not sure anyone would want my organs. my eyes are piss poor, my liver, because of a poor decision I made, shouldn't be transferred to anyone. Plus if I follow the trend of the resto of the women in my family, who would want 90+ year old kidneys and lungs and hearts?

Yes

I have the little icon on my ID that says as much. I don't see any downsides
    To being an organ donor. I also regularly donate red cells since I'm O-
    If you really want to freak people the fuck out you have to pepper your schemes with mind-boggling inefficiency.

I just refreshed my drivers license a few months ago, but I just couldn't check the doner box. Not sure why, as I clearly won't need them, and I could care less what happens to my body after I die. It probably has to do with some subconcious conditioning I was exposed to growing up. Maybe next time I have to do license stuff I'll check the box.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Aymee/advanced

Game developers hate healers. We prevent their bosses from killing the players.

"MMOC forums let me keep my job again. Whew." -Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    No, I'm not. I never plan on being one as well.
    I don't really have a problem with your decision, but you are the second person in this thread who seems fairly adamant about NOT donating organs. Why do you seem to have such strong feelings in that direction?
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Yes, I am an Organ Donor ever since I turned 18 (21 years ago). Then, back in germany, you actually had to fill out a separate card and keep that in your wallet, instead of being able to have it on your drivers license as it is in the USA. Not sure how it works now in germany though.
    And between 1992 and 2001 I regularly donated blood. I would do that still, but the US Red Cross banned people who lived in the EU for 5 years after 1980, due to BSE and the possible link of it to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Should this ever change, I will go back to donating blood.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Im not sure anyone would want my organs. my eyes are piss poor, my liver, because of a poor decision I made, shouldn't be transferred to anyone. Plus if I follow the trend of the resto of the women in my family, who would want 90+ year old kidneys and lungs and hearts?
    Someone desperate and on the verge of death would rather have a lousy organ than no organ at all, though.

I am. It's not a difficult choice really. If I'm dead and can't use them anymore then maybe they'll help somebody else. I'm not really worried about them being harvested before I die. That seems like a bit of a long shot.

I just hope they don't go for my liver. That fucker's like a live grenade :P

I would be but if I ever go into a coma I don't want the doctor ready to take my organs on the chance that I will wake up.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Yep! They can take everything they want from me once I'm dead. Ofcourse a story like this doesn't make me think twice, after all this happens almost never and considering this is the first time I hear it happening in what, 10-15 years that I actually read 'news', I'm not worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    Someone desperate and on the verge of death would rather have a lousy organ than no organ at all, though.
    lousy would be an understatement. if I pass away young, I might let them have anything but my eyes and liver, but if I'm 90 I wont do it. No point in forcing someone to go through 2 surgeries.

Im not, mostly because of principle not because I'm afraid they would harvest them while I'm alive. I believe in "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" unless it's animals and my .. uh parts aren't on the bargaining table. Not to mention I want my organs to be placed in canopic jars if I should die (IF!).. in case I feel like coming back.