View Poll Results: Are you an organ donor?

Voters
422. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I'm not

    159 37.68%
  • Yes, I am

    224 53.08%
  • Undecided/don't have license yet.

    39 9.24%
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Elemental Lord Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,981
    Yup. Little red dot on my health card.
    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea.
    Random fact of the day : Every sitting member of Congress receives an issue of Hustler every month.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I don't really have a problem with your decision, but you are the second person in this thread who seems fairly adamant about NOT donating organs. Why do you seem to have such strong feelings in that direction?
    For me I was standing there and I just thought of if I was dying and someone out there could save my life but they didn't feel right donating after they passed away and they were put in a box to rot away :/ I checked it. I mean it is their decision and I wouldn't try to force them to change their mind but it was just something I had to think about. It's not like it doesn't allow for an open casket funeral or anything like that. I have also heard some people claiming they can't get into heaven if they give away their organs after they die...yay religion. Their decision.

  3. #23
    I'm not against it but currently I'm not an OD as for the wishes of those close to me who are strongly against it.
    Kibblet Infectionate Serenades Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Taxiporte Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Shoctologist Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

  4. #24
    Scarab Lord Noobadin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,070
    Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    I don't really have a problem with your decision, but you are the second person in this thread who seems fairly adamant about NOT donating organs. Why do you seem to have such strong feelings in that direction?
    Mainly because I wont be able to decide who's going to get them. Also I really don't trust a hospital to not just let me die because they see I'm a donor and have organs that can save a few peoples lives. Then there's always something like the OP mentioning happening as well.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Mainly because I wont be able to decide who's going to get them. Also I really don't trust a hospital to not just let me die because they see I'm a donor and have organs that can save a few peoples lives. Then there's always something like the OP mentioning happening as well.
    Makes sense. I would like to know, though, is there a single case where someone who would have lived was allowed to die for the sole reason of organ harvesting? That one always struck me as sort of a snopes type of story.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    lousy would be an understatement. if I pass away young, I might let them have anything but my eyes and liver, but if I'm 90 I wont do it. No point in forcing someone to go through 2 surgeries.
    Why withhold the eyes and liver?

    You wouldn't be forcing anything on them, you would only be giving them a choice other than death. They would be making the choice themselves, and they would be grateful for that choice. Just about any rational individual would rather make the choice of having an organ that's of less than optimal quality if the alternative were dying.

  7. #27
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    202
    No I am not...but the reasoning is because my health has not always been the greatest and I think it's a tease to give body parts to people when they don't function as well as they should be. My eyes are terrible, kidney bad...I'm better just finding other ways to help like giving blood.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Im not, mostly because of principle not because I'm afraid they would harvest them while I'm alive.
    And what sort of principle might that be, exactly?

  9. #29
    The Lightbringer malletin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    denmark
    Posts
    3,174
    No.. reason being i'd rather donate my organs to my friends or family rather than some random stranger.
    "any man shaving for a woman should relinquish ownership of his testicles aswell"

  10. #30
    Old God Crissi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Moon
    Posts
    10,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    Why withhold the eyes and liver?

    You wouldn't be forcing anything on them, you would only be giving them a choice other than death. They would be making the choice themselves, and they would be grateful for that choice. Just about any rational individual would rather make the choice of having an organ that's of less than optimal quality if the alternative were dying.
    because my eyes are deteriorating and my liver may or may not also deteriorate due to something stupid I did at 17. I'm not going to let someone whose already going through problems potentially go through more.'

    I believe said deterioration is already prevented from donation anyways.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Mainly because I wont be able to decide who's going to get them. Also I really don't trust a hospital to not just let me die because they see I'm a donor and have organs that can save a few peoples lives. Then there's always something like the OP mentioning happening as well.

    With all due respect, I can respect your opinion on the OD subject, but that article is a major case of medical malpractice and not something that is "always something happening".

    If you were in her situation your organs would never be removed, the second they cut into you they would realize you aren't a corpse and stop cutting because of the profuse bleeding because that's what they thought they were doing because of some dumb nurse injected a supposed corpse with a major anesthetic.

  12. #32
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,945
    No but I may change my mind.

  13. #33
    Elemental Lord Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    8,051
    Yeah, I have no use for them when I'm dead. And I think it'd be a great if my organs could save some peoples lives.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    For me I was standing there and I just thought of if I was dying and someone out there could save my life but they didn't feel right donating after they passed away and they were put in a box to rot away :/ I checked it. I mean it is their decision and I wouldn't try to force them to change their mind but it was just something I had to think about. It's not like it doesn't allow for an open casket funeral or anything like that. I have also heard some people claiming they can't get into heaven if they give away their organs after they die...yay religion. Their decision.
    It's still a choice even if you don't agree with it or find it stupid. And yes, missing organs will make it hard for you to be resurrected. But there are valid reasons not to donate organs for atheists too, like letting them freeze your body when you die in case there is technology in the future that can revive you. Also, even if there is a 0.000001% chance you can be saved, I'd still want them to take that instead of deciding to save the organs as I've heard they can't wait too long to remove them.

  15. #35
    Legendary! Pendra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    6,378
    I'm not. The thought of it makes me somehow feel uncomfortable - that's sufficient for me to opt out.
    Of course, this might change later on, but then I can always opt in again.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    And what sort of principle might that be, exactly?
    Like I said, I believe in "you scratch my back..". Or in other words you want something you give something or at least ask for it and make your case. When I'm dead, I wouldn't be able to get anything from the recipient and I wouldn't get to decide if they deserve it. But my main reason not to be a donor is mostly religious yes..

  17. #37
    The Lightbringer DEATHETERNAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, more fascist every day
    Posts
    3,694
    Nope. My body will be left to my family to do whatever they want with (sell, donate, bury, burn in a funeral pyre, etc.).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Like I said, I believe in "you scratch my back..". Or in other words you want something you give something or at least ask for it and make your case. When I'm dead, I wouldn't be able to get anything from the recipient and I wouldn't get to decide if they deserve it. But my main reason not to be a donor is mostly religious yes..
    If you view it from the vantage point of "If I die first, I'll donate my organs to you, and if you die first, you'll donate your organs to me," it certainly is 'scratching each other's backs'. Even if it weren't, withholding organs you shouldn't have any right to, because there isn't a 'you' to claim ownership over anything, just because someone never helped you out is the epitome of selfishness.

    Does your religion tell you that saving someone's life is wrong?

  19. #39
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    If you view it from the vantage point of "If I die first, I'll donate my organs to you, and if you die first, you'll donate your organs to me," it certainly is 'scratching each other's backs'. Even if it weren't, withholding organs you shouldn't have any right to, because there isn't a 'you' to claim ownership over anything, just because someone never helped you out is the epitome of selfishness.

    Does your religion tell you that saving someone's life is wrong?
    Apparently it teaches that you should never do anything good for others unless you're going to get something out of it.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  20. #40
    my Plan was to be one, but after having a heart operation at the age of 16, and now im on blood thining medicine so not allowed

    but respect to everyone that is

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •