View Poll Results: Are you an organ donor?

Voters
422. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I'm not

159 37.68%
  • Yes, I am

224 53.08%
  • Undecided/don't have license yet.

39 9.24%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Of course I am. Though thanks to my painmedication my liver and kidneys are not donorable.
    WBMA - Leave our beards alone

Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

Family reroll project on Defias Brotherhood, poke me

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    If you view it from the vantage point of "If I die first, I'll donate my organs to you, and if you die first, you'll donate your organs to me," it certainly is 'scratching each other's backs'. Even if it weren't, withholding organs you shouldn't have any right to, because there isn't a 'you' to claim ownership over anything, just because someone never helped you out is the epitome of selfishness.

Does your religion tell you that saving someone's life is wrong?
    Actually yes it is and should be up to me and everyone else what to do with their property or their body. If I decide I want my body to be buried whole then that wish should be respected.

And no, saving life isn't wrong, I'd happily save lives if they were just up to my thumbs up or thumbs down, however, like I said, I might involuntarily save bad people as the decision would not be up to me and might not get into heaven if the people who got my organs are still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Actually yes it is and should be up to me and everyone else what to do with their property or their body. If I decide I want my body to be buried whole then that wish should be respected.
    Nature isn't going to respect your wishes. The atoms you borrowed for your duration of life will inevitably be returned to the Earth, regardless of your wishes. If it can be made so that your organs are used for giving life to a fellow human instead, then why the hell not?

And no, saving life isn't wrong, I'd happily save lives if they were just up to my thumbs up or thumbs down, however, like I said, I might involuntarily save bad people as the decision would not be up to me and might not get into heaven if the people who got my organs are still alive.
    How largely do you think murderers/terrorists/burglars/rapists are represented in society. Probably some figure like way under < 1% of the population. How in good conscience do you justify denying someone an organ just because of the off chance that they might be someone bad?

Nature isn't going to respect your wishes
    Doctors, however, do and have to.

then why the hell not?
    Because he/she doesn't want to. What's the point in arguing over it?

Nature isn't going to respect your wishes. The atoms you borrowed for your duration of life will inevitably be returned to the Earth, regardless of your wishes. If it can be made so that your organs are used for giving life to a fellow human instead, then why the hell not?

How largely do you think murderers/terrorists/burglars/rapists are represented in society. Probably some figure like way under < 1% of the population. How in good conscience do you justify denying someone an organ just because of the off chance that they might be someone bad?
    Why only those? Maybe I consider democrats bad people? Or I dont know, meat eaters.. or women who wear red shoes. The point is, it should be up to me who I help and who I decide not to. Also nature has nothing to do with society or other people. Using your logic, we "borrowed" the atoms that make up our house, clothes, food.. everything too. They're even more temporary than our bodies. Do you think it's ok to just go take them when you decide you need them more than their owner? For example if the food is just going to rot away in some rich persons fancy fridge while it could be feeding starving people in Africa..

I voted No, not because I don't want to, but because nobody would want them anyway. Probably the only organs salvageable on me are my testicles. Everything else is fucked.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-07-09 at 08:35 PM.
    "But uh, says on your chart that you're fucked up. You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded!"

On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since July 27, 2014.

Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Yes, and anyone who said no should be ashamed of themselves.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Don't we all hate effing blanket statements? How about "No, because I have HIV". "No, because I am on medications that fuck my organs up" "No because a zillion reasons". Here is mine why I cannot even donate blood.

Might surprise you:

I cannot even donate blood. Pretty big shock that. You know why? I worked in London in 1990-1992 for two years and the (blood donor) laws in my country state that you cannot donate blood if you lived longer than 6 months without interruption inthe UK between 1986 and 1996.

Mad cow disease be praised.
    Last edited by det; 2013-07-09 at 08:36 PM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

I am an organ donor. I don't see why I shouldn't be. They will just rot away in the ground otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Don't we all hate effing blanket statements? How about "No, because I have HIV". "No, because I am on medications that fuck my organs up" "No because a zillion reasons". Here is mine why I cannot even donate blood.

Might surprise you:

I cannot even donate blood. Pretty big shock that. You know why? I worked in London in 1990-1992 for two years and the (blood donor) laws in my country state that you cannot donate blood if you lived longer than 6 months without interruption inthe UK between 1986 and 1996.

Mad cow disease be praised.
    Attempting to apply and being rejected is worlds away from just not doing it.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

Nope, I would but I fully intend to destroy them before I drop dead.
    I tend to enjoy doing everything the doctors say not to do because it is unhealthy.

I mean honestly at this point my heart should be pumping butter/corn syrup and vodka.
    I smoke and consume massive amounts of caffeine/ energy drinks
    My idea of a meal is a large serving of a single item
    Vegetables are those things I find in sandwiches/taco's/burgers (just not the ones I make myself)
    My day everyday starts with 3 Ibuprofen and ends with 2 Ibuprofen and a joint.
    I drink maybe 10 glasses of water every 90 days.

Doctor of course says I am in great health but I've been living with this routine for over a decade so I've pretty much decided he is a fool because it's miraculous that I've not got diabetes, had a heart attack or complete liver/kidney failure considering how I abuse my body.

Yes.

Shit, I'm dead, what am I going to need them for?

Why ashamed?

People should be able to live their lives as they wish as long as they don't stop others living theirs. I think thats more important than anything and consent and respecting others rights goes under there. All the worlds problems come from someone thinking they know whats best for others and trying to make them do or see things their way.

If my evil gay blood isn't good enough for this country then they can suck it on having my organs.

Attempting to apply and being rejected is worlds away from just not doing it.
    If we already know our organs will be rejected, why even bother to apply?

Yes I am a registered doner, although they will probably be pickled by the time they get them.

Why ashamed?

People should be able to live their lives as they wish as long as they don't stop others living theirs. I think thats more important than anything and consent and respecting others rights goes under there. All the worlds problems come from someone thinking they know whats best for others and trying to make them do or see things their way.
    Exactly what do you plan to do with your organs after you're dead?
    - Thucydides

- Eugen Weber

Exactly what do you plan to do with your organs after you're dead?
    Whats it to you? I want to place mine in jars and placed in sarcophagus next to me. In case I need them again, you never know.

Whats it to you? I want to place mine in jars and placed in sarcophagus next to me. In case I need them again, you never know.
    It would be probably more realistic to grow new organs, if you decided to "come back to life", and that's assuming your brain is somehow preserved in mint condition.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

England, Earth, Sol Star System, Milkyway Galaxy
    yes I am an organ donor.
    If and when I die, any part of my body can be used to help someone else live or have a better life then I feel that, that is the greatest gift I can give to someone.